Really old Amoco potter's wheel

I am taking a class at the city sponsored "studio" and the only wheel they had that would go backwards was this really old Amaco potter's wheel.  It looks like this:

49.jpg

I LOVE THIS WHEEL!  Which naturally hasn't been made for decades. I've only thrown on Shimpo wheels for years now.  The only other wheel I've ever used was the bog standard mustard yellow Brent (model C I think).

• Although extremely awkwardly placed, the foot pedal is responsive and easy to control.  The Shimpos at the studio are balky and don't have fine control but maybe that's because they are clogged with clay?
  • The wheel head doesn't freewheel which has some advantages.  I don't hate that the way I thought I would. 
  • The wheel head seems more ... substantial somehow.  I don't know why, but I like it a lot better than the way it feels when I'm throwing on the Shimpos.
  • It makes a VERY loud hum when it runs, but that hum fades quickly into the background.  I stopped noticing it at all almost immediately, EXCEPT when I was paying attention to adjusting the speed.  Then the sound sort of ramped up and down with the speed and actually helped me to gauge the speed.  I LIKE IT.

I don't know what it is about the construction of this wheel that makes it the way it is.  I've been considering getting a 2nd better wheel now that I'm making actual progress (I have the little Shimpo Whisper Lite, they have the regular Shimpos at the studio).  But I've never thrown on anything but a Brent going on 12 years ago and the Shimpos (and now this ancient Amaco). 

Is there a modern wheel that is largely similar to this old Amaco? What is it about the construction of this old wheel that is lacking in the Shimpos (which I have up to now also loved)?

Those old Shimpos to me are like dinosaurs -all modern wheels throw so much better. The reason is response time and ease of use. No presure to stomp on pedal or grab the knob handle to change speeds

They work on a cone drive system . And the pressure to drive the cone up and down was for me a drawback-very stiff

But I get that you like  it maybe its the compact size?  We all have our own likes

Looks like one can get closer to the wheel head (compact, as Mark points out)?
The height may be different.

Have you ever driven a Skutt?
I like mine, but I wouldn't say it is better to work on than a strong Brent.
I've the built in cast pan, which I really like for setting my forearms on...

That you like it is the main/good thing!

@Mark C. @Hulk 

I don't feel the wheel is compact at all.  Unless you mean that the deck is triangle shaped and I can get closer to the wheel?  That's certainly true and I do in fact get much more centered over the wheel.  I actually hadn't noticed or thought of that.  That's a big plus for a little person like me.

Its the modern Shimpos that I don't get the fine tuned pedal response that I'm getting with the ancient Amaco wheel.  The Amaco pedal is really uncomfortable and not movable, but I get 100% smooth and even response from it.  I DO NOT GET THAT even with the newer Shimpos in my main studio. They are very balky.  Maybe they're just jammed up with clay, but I have a really hard time with speed control.  Maybe I should look for a pedal-cleaning video and try cleaning one out to see if it improves.

The wheel head only feels stiff to me if I'm trying to turn it by hand, which it doesn't like to do.  But in operation, I feel like it is smooth as butter.  And I don't know how to describe it exactly, somehow DEFINITE in its motion.  Unhesitating?  Maybe there's a little drag on the newer Shimpos that I've never been consciously aware of?

That Amaco is a #15 and is ancient -I could not find out the drive mechanism -belt? cone ? gear? maybe you could flip it on its side and look. There are only thses 3 types of drives. That will say alot about why you like it.

The small body size -yours and its also is a reason I'm sure it fits you so well. Tell us the drive story underneath

I have not seen a used #15 amaco for sale in decades.

@Mark C. I have read that it is a cone drive but I will try to catch up with the other instructor over there and find out more.  He has been working on it so he should know a thing or two.  It got left to them from an "estate" so whoever had it must have had it for years and years.

That is I read that an Amaco model #15 is a cone drive at least.

Edited by Pyewackette

That old Amaco is a cone drive. Under the wheelhead there's a large metal cone, and a small rubber wheel runs along the outside of the cone. The speed of the wheelhead is determined by the location of the wheel on the cone. Pretty simple design, and yes, they are heavy and noisy. The old Shimpo wheels were made the same way. They last forever, but if you get a flat spot on the rubber wheel it'll thunk every rotation, which is super annoying. If you want a heavy modern wheel get a Skutt with the built-in splashpan. They weight a ton and will run a lot smoother than the old Amaco, and they have a much larger splashpan and better speed control than Brent wheels.

@neilestrick Well its not so much that its "heavy" as that I seem to have much much MUCH finer tuned control over the speed of the wheel.  And there is something different about how the wheel head goes around.  I was only throwing 2 or 3 lbs on it (same on the Shimpos) so I doubt it has a lot to do with the weight on the wheel, but something is different about the characteristics of the wheel head under rotatation.

There is a Skutt wheel there as well but it is up on blocks and I'm pretty sure it doesn't go backwards.  But I'll try to try it as well, as soon as I find my (adjustable) Shimpo stool.  They don't have anything but plastic folding chairs and wooden stools over at this other place so that's pretty much my only chance of getting high enough to use the Skutt at its current elevation.

I just happened to run across a listing for those Shimpo stools and OMG it was $110!  They're just bog standard lightweight industrial-style stools painted white with a bit of THIN, let me emphasize that, THIN blue pleather over cheap foam! You know its cheap foam because of how quickly the thin blue pleather line breaks.

I've got an industrial stool with lower back support that's also adjustable that I got from Costco for like $30.  Not very portable though.  It's way heavier than the Shimpo.  Probably doesn't adjust as far up but fer cryin' out loud!  That's a lotta money for what it is (and isn't).

5 hours ago, Pyewackette said:

There is a Skutt wheel there as well but it is up on blocks and I'm pretty sure it doesn't go backwards.

There's a reversing switch somewhere on the motor. It's a 3 position toggle, clockwise-off-counterclockwise. Make sure the power is off when you switch it.

Have you tried throwing while standing? Is the wheel on blocks for that reason?

My Brent is on a Brent stand because the standard height (or, lowness)  is hard on my back. I don’t stand to throw, though. I have a bar stool that puts my butt at the right height and two crates for my feet and the pedal. I didn’t come to this arrangement right away - took some years of testing, using other wheels, watching other potters, and listening to my body :rolleyes:

Good luck on your quest - maybe the studio would be willing to sell that old thing to you! Organize a pottery sale to fund them a new one?

@neilestrick Its just up on one layer of blocks, not high enough to stand unless someone is even shorter than I am (5' 2" - haven't shrunk yet). It may be high enough for someone to sit on one of the taller wooden stools there though.  I couldn't find a reverse switch but I'll look again. Just an on/off switch.  I'm pretty sure I was told it wouldn't reverse, that the Amaco is the only one that will reverse without being rewired.  It is one of the models with the built in pan.  I tried the pedal, it was VERY loose - maybe that's something that's adjustable?  Tried to talk to the other instructor about the wheels today.  He loves his Shimpo. Period. Paragraph.

@Rae Reich I can't imagine throwing standing up.  It makes my neck and shoulders hurt just thinking about it.  I guess that's one more thing I may have to learn.  But the hard plastic folding chairs they are using instead of stools are much too hard on me.  I've got some kind of strain trying to shoot its way down my gluteus maximus into my leg from perching on them.  I've got a gel cushion I need to remember to take and see if that helps but I'm pretty sure its kaput, I'll have to try to find a new one.  Not very gel-y these days, more hard and unyielding.  I looked for my Shimpo stool around the house, couldn't find it.  That may be just one more thing that got lost in the last move.  Not buying another one @$110.  The only advantage it had over any other adjustable stool I've been able to find so far is that it didn't weigh much.

Edited by Pyewackette

My throwing wheel and trimming wheel are all elevated a bit-I'm a taller person so 4-6 inches up is best for me. I have theBrent booties on one wheel and a small wood stand on my Brent model A model I use for trimming (that wheel  was is the smallest well made wheel on the market when it was around years aga) The model A is long gone. Weighs 49#s

Looks like my wheel and i love it. No fancy electronics, easy to find and replace motor, the cone drive is easy to understand and adjust, and the rubber "tire " that the cone rides on is a snap to replace. I can see my weel out lasting me, I can't think of anything about it I don't like. One word of caution though, when not using it make sure to pull the lever back towards you ( or lift the toe of the peddle up) Neil is right about about flat spots on the tire making it thump.

Stay safe.

Graybeard 

Yes it is. What I'm  trying to say is that if you don't make sure the lever is pulled back ALL THE TIME, when the wheel is turned off the cone will put a dent in the "tire" and the wheel will develop the thump that Neil was talking about. It really is a great wheel IMHO

stay safe. 

Graybeard 

@graybeard So Graybeard, can you tell me how long your bat pins are? I find myself in the market for longer bat pins for that wheel (it doesn't have any) and I couldn't get a really good measurement this afternoon.  The bat pins from the other wheels were too short, that's for sure!  I'm guessing somewhere between 1.5" and 1.75"?  I'm having trouble finding anything longer than inch and a quarter.  I swear I saw some on either Sheffield or Bailey that were longer but I can't find them again.

5 minutes ago, Pyewackette said:

@graybeard So Graybeard, can you tell me how long your bat pins are? I find myself in the market for longer bat pins for that wheel (it doesn't have any) and I couldn't get a really good measurement this afternoon.  The bat pins from the other wheels were too short, that's for sure!  I'm guessing somewhere between 1.5" and 1.75"?  I'm having trouble finding anything longer than inch and a quarter.  I swear I saw some on either Sheffield or Bailey that were longer but I can't find them again.

You can get bat pins in any length at Ace Hardware or any store that carries a decent selection of nuts and bolts. They're called hex cap screws or socket head cap screws. You need 1/4-20 size in whatever length.

• 10 months later...

Gray beard,

I also came across an old Amaco #15 wheel. My question is how do I replace the belt?. It was missing when I acquired it. I called Brent and they told me the length and price of a new belt at $89. I ended up buying a length of silicone but can't see how to install it.i have 3 meters and intended to cut to length and seal the ends back together. Does it need to be under a lot of tension to work? Is there a way to release the wheel? Thanks for your expertise.

I have never liked cone drive wheels-they always feel stiff to me in use. I will add to always disengage the pedal to avoid flat spots on the cone. They are solid and last forever but better wheels have been made since cone drives roamed the earth long ago.