QotW: What do working areas in your studio look like? Post a picture!

Hi folks, @Kelly in AKrecently sent me a PM stating:Qotw- How about “Show us your...(pick one)... kiln, glazing station, throwing station.studio vibe, showroom, etc.” That could be fun.

I don't have a recent picture of the shop, but will post one as soon as I finish other work. Lately I am working on the library shelving as we were delivered 40 shelves to stain and finish, and that is only the beginning. 

So QotW: What do working areas in your studio look like? Post a picture!

Thanks for the question Kelly in AK!

best,

Pres

pres, good question but there are a number of new potters here lately.  it might be good to let them know that each member has a gallery where photos from that potter are stored as "albums".      i have no cell phone but am aware that some members use them instead of laptops or other things.    do cell phones show the entire page the way it is seen on my laptop?

This is in a 12X14 space. Buckets of clay and greenware shelving are the left of the windows; shelves glazes are to the right of the utility sink. Not shown is shelving for volitiles (glues, mineral spirits etc) , jewelry & wall hanging-making supplies (cords/fittings), markers,  Xactos, enhancements like glitter (yes, I do), a book shelf w/ceramics texts, whiteboard (& whatever that is that is shoved behind the door...oh, it's my invaluable UpCart). The kiln is on the back porch.

20200105_121542--.jpg

20200105_123152--.jpg

Yes, @oldlady, the phones show pictures the same way your laptop does, just on a tiny screen. But we can zoom in, so it’s not bad at all.

And @LeeU thank you for sharing your space. As soon as Pres posted the question I had that feeling of “Be careful with you wish for, now you have to share too!

Two shots of the same space from different corners. My partner and I have a studio together, which for normal people would be a garage. It does serve some extra functions as a workshop and storage area, but it’s 90% clay studio. The utility sink was a later addition, and what a wonderful day that was. The two kilns are outdoors. 

B7660DFE-D2B6-4F16-9D49-CBB601BD379A.jpeg

F11E3CAB-630C-4414-8BB8-90C423D350AE.jpeg

Edited by Kelly in AK
Spelling

@oldlady the view of the website from a cell phone is different. You don’t see the status updates on the main page, and there’s a little less info about who’s online and what the most recent comment was. But you get all notifications, and can still read all the comments and questions. Here’s some screen shots from my iPhone 10. 

32E76038-A0E7-40E8-9A66-2752394EE399.png

52DD0510-4627-48E8-92E4-BD0204DB3B6B.png

Enjoying the studio pics, thanks for sharing!

Open Studios Art Tour just over, here the tables have been put away, some of remaining ware put away, the bikes, buckets, mop, vacuum, etc. that were cleared away brought back in.

872338755_rollupsideStudio.JPG.1ebf7b828c8975858f2d1c43e780bc24.JPG

Above, from the corner behind the kiln.
The wood shelving typically is encumbered with work in progress - raw clay and/or bisque awaiting next steps, glazed ware awaiting final inspection, polish, wash.
Putting that shelving up makes it easier to reach, and provides bucket, bag, etc. storage below.
Behind the person door is a large cabinet - glaze materials, tools, notebooks.
This space also serves as bike headquarters and general repair/puttering place, but it's mostly pottery.
The Cervelo is #1 bike.

1837394883_doorsideStudio.JPG.a850cb88a0ed5b7ee6050064d8867858.JPG

Looking back from the person door.
The shelves behind the kiln are almost always for raw ware.
There's enough counterspace to deal with a full kiln load and still have room for glaze buckets, tools, and some other stuff.
The windows supply nice light. Even so, the two eight-foot bulbs and two four-foot bulbs aren't quite enough, hence the several spot type lights...
The Wilier is #2 bike.
In left corner there's more shelving, wedging area, and the sound equipment - amp, old laptop, subwoofer.
The surround speakers are up high.

4 hours ago, Rae Reich said:

@Min, do you throw standing up? What’s that tall thing that looks like a shifter beside the wheel pedal?

Yup. I missed driving a stick so I added one to my wheel's foot pedal. ;)

Piece of redi rod attached to the side of the pedal with a small door knob threaded to the top.

• Pres unpinned this topic