engobe with stain- mix issue

steff p

610D48F4-79E5-4E43-80CC-18D7E8C584B4.jpeg.3b998bab3d5761a9c69b563a5aae6679.jpeghi team - hopefully someone can help 

ive tried 3 different engobe recipes and am mixing in green stain (in a water and stain mix) . Unfortunately it keeps coming  out with white splotches . The wet ingredients look oily in each as well. I have added cmc gum but that hasn’t helped. Is dispex an idea?

Thanks in advance 

Hi Steff!

Are the images you posted fired work? Just the engobe, the green part, with no glaze over it? What temp range, over what clay(s)? If you can post your recipes, might be helpful and interesting. Several of the forum contributors are good with recipe analysis.

I'm seeing interesting varied green with some small black spots, looks like a low gloss, but not matte.
Could you spell out the problems - I'm not seeing white blotches or an oily look, and describe the look and feel you are looking for?
Just trying to help. I've been interested in engobes, but chose to explore underglaze, slip, and glazes, so far.

hi - unfortunately it wouldn’t let me upload big file images.

theres a cloudy streak in the 2 left images both engobe and stain fired to midfire on a clay body called buff raku trachyte - the black dots are the melted trachyte - which i love -it  gives the matte finish texture- i just can’t stand the white powdery streaks.

In the far right image thats one of the engobe and stain mixes in a bucket- if you look closely the mix has a streakyness to it as well- its one of 3 engobe recipes ive tried

I will upload the recipes tomorrow 

thanks for responding 

the look im after is the left 2 images minus the white streaky/ clouldy brush marks- if you zoom in you can see it clearly on the middle image 

902CED86-772D-4C64-A104-13DA6D459481.jpeg

I agree, it took me seeing the whole piece to even see the white streaks being discussed, but it does look like some sort of efflorescence.  I actually found the little black specks more objectionable, until I saw that sculpture piece.  I'm used to thinking of glaze in terms of food safety and appropriateness on utilitarian pieces. I will make the effort in future to remember the difference between something you're going to eat out of and something that is "just" art LOL!

I would love to have a glaze that turned out on the piece like it looks in the bucket.  That is GORGEOUS in the bucket LOL!

38 minutes ago, Hulk said:

Now I'm curious if the white streaks wash off at all.

If it is mineral salts it should come off with a wash made with 1 part white vinegar to 1 part water and good scrub.

Going forward if the vinegar wash gets rid of it on a fired  piece I would add a tiny amount of barium carb to the engobe. I would run some tests starting with 0.3%, 0.5% and 0.75% barium carb added to the engobe, and use the least amount that gets rid of the efflorescence. I would also check the Safety Data Sheet for the claybody to see if it has barium in it also.

Thanks Peter. I wonder if the clay “Other non hazardous ingredients…..secret” is barium? Don’t know. Think the first step would be to see if the white can be scrubbed off with the diluted vinegar, if it can then test and see if an unglazed, slipped or engobed piece gets the same deposits.

Looks like stuff is being picked up from claybody on application.

Maybe colourants dropping to bottom of bucket.stirring between brush loads and laying on the engkbe instead of pressing it on with brush.

Have you tried pouring this on instead of brushing?

Tried this engobe other clays?

wow guys- thanks so much  what

an awesome community!!!!!

Will try vinegar

Know its not something on the brush dragging around as have tried it different days times & all were bisqued first

I stir it a lot between tests because the crysanthos stain does sink 

Im testing in the next few days with : 1. dispex added 2.vinegar added & 3. dishliquid added

3 hours ago, Min said:

26 minutes ago, Babs said:

Looks like stuff is being picked up from claybody on application.

Maybe colourants dropping to bottom of bucket.stirring between brush loads and laying on the engkbe instead of pressing it on with brush.

Have you tried pouring this on instead of brushing?

Tried this engobe other clays?

will try pouring & will try on other clay - great idea

8 hours ago, Min said:

Looks like efflorescence from soluble mineral salts. Are you using a commercial engobe or mixing your own?  

i have mixed my own - have tried 3 different recipes- will upload recipes when i get to the studio x

11 hours ago, PeterH said:

What mesh is your sieve? 902CED86-772D-4C64-A104-13DA6D459481.jpe

I'm a little confused by the colour of your brush-marks, could you be pushing/pulling anything around?

i originally used an 80 mesh sieve but after adding gum etc went through again with a 60 mesh

these are the 3 separate recipes ive tried- maybe its my epk / kaolin ??

recipe 1

epkaolin 31.6 ball clay 9.4 silica 27.4 feldspar (custer spar) 31.6 borax 2

recipie 2 

epkaolin 10 ball clay 10 feldspar 8 nephy sy 2 silica 20zircopax 2 borax 2

recipie 3

18 silica 18 talc 14 neph sy 16 ep kaolin 34 ball clay

Archived