CRESS Electric Kiln - fx23 p

Hello - new to this community but excited to learn and hopefully contribute. The time has come to pick up my own Kiln!

im considering this cress fx23. I emailed the manufacturer and they confirmed that it was built in January 1991. 

the inside is in pretty solid condition and looks like it was only ever fired a few times. what do you think this kiln is worth? 

TY

26865D8E-2431-4810-8C87-EFF0FE4ED7B3.jpeg.c6404375109fd45a81fa3719bfb7deef.jpeg

Thats a manual kiln that uses 24 amp  and needs a  #30 amp breaker. Its not computerized and has a kiln sitter withg safety shut off timer

what are your plansd low fire (cone 06) or cone 6?

its a smaller kiln and new cost about $1700

its an older model

its very clean looking and if there is any shelves and posts that come with that would be good

since its from 1991 I would offer 500$ what are they asking?

Thx for the quick reply! I will have to work with my electrician for the new plug but willing to tackle that problem.

The dimensions are ideal for my use cases. It  does come with shelves:

972E924D-0538-4521-B8DF-AE43F85247F1.jpeg.9b2048af6907c6b3f81daabccc8ebc66.jpegE49DB6F5-83F9-4CFC-8DB1-1F6D63F740AB.jpeg.cb26a148baea9c194e2241ea053cebb5.jpeg

Anything I should check prior to picking up? I will not be able to fire it up on site. 

right now I’d be able to pick up all of it for $650 w/ original manual. 

Thanks for the help @neilestrick & @Mark C.. Very much appreciated. I just started looking for Kilns and this is kind of an opportunistic purchase that is only 25 minutes away. I didn't want to make a bad decision but given the reassurance and all the info on the forum I'm not worried this is a bad choice. My other options are to continue monitoring online for one to pop up or pay 2k and wait 4-5 months. 

I plan on keeping this Kiln in a lockable semi, enclosed, deck (more or less a shed). It will be kept dry and there isn't much salt here to deteriorate anything but let me know if there are any additional precautions I should take. 

Looks good to me except do not use any premade kiln wash if that comes with as its cheap  and will flake off and you need to make your own.

Looks in great shape and with teh pists and shelves is a good deal-pick it up soon before its gone

take some muscle power and a large enough vehicle.  that is a one piece kiln and not one in sections.  be sure to pad its surroundings so braking the car fast will not tip it over.  it is good that the owner has separated the shelves with cardboard.  be sure to provide a safe place for them and the box of posts, bags of cones and whatever that plastic bag of powder is.  if it is kiln wash, throw it away and use the recipe given here on the forum often.

your electrician may never have worked with a kiln before.  consult neil estrick who answered above about all electric connections.   also, take a photo using a camera that is inside the kiln at a level with the grooves holding the elements, the coiled wires that heat up.  that is so we can judge whether you need new ones or not.  new ones look upright.  if they are  standing vertically all along the grooves, they have lots of life left.  if they are leaning over and touching each other, you might need new elements.  if the original user fired it with the various cones shown in the bags, check to see the highest number used.  remembering that ZERO 6 is not the same as cone 6.  check the charts for the actual numbers.  it is possible the kiln never went over cone 06 and the various boxes reflect special glazes or lusters that were at even lower temperatures.

good luck with bringing it home and setting it up just where you want it.   keep enough distance from surfaces that could be affected by heat and the bricks are NOT BRICKS,  you can dent them with a fingernail.

No never on its side-big no no. Treat it like its super fragile as it is. The bricks get injured easily -cafefull handling it near the elements groves as they break out easy as the bricks are thin there.

Put it on foam sheet or some padded moving blankets and tie it into a trck bed-keep it stable -you can take the lid off and treat it very carefully  with padding.Tie it down 

take the base off and the lid. DO NOT Carry it on its side or travel on side-back seat is better

After you get it home, invest in a digital controller. You'll be waaay ahead of the game when it comes to the short learning curve for operation as opposed to the time and effort it takes to learn the manual operation of the kiln and you will still be at around half the cost of a new kiln. It's kind of the difference between processing your own film and photos and shooting digital. I've done both with regards to the kiln and photography...

Somewhere between 

a) firing a manual kiln with a kiln setter - relying on the cone in the sitter and proper adjustment of the sitter, and getting repeatable results

and

b) firing with a programmable controller that turns elements on and off per feedback from a/some pyrometer(s)

would be firing a manual kiln per "a" above, but add a pyrometer for real time feedback.

In all cases, setting cones (at least target cones, if not a full pack) where they can be seen through the peeps* could shorten the learning curve considerably, for in case "a" - very likely the actual heat work on each shelf will not match exactly the sitter's trip, and case "b" the controller may require some adjustment to hit the cone you want/need.

I fire a manual kiln. Having a pyrometer has really helped.

*where proper kiln glasses that protect against harmful rays and any superheated flying bits are worn, always.

5 hours ago, couplefunones said:

Thx folks! I'll see how it goes tonight. 

@johnnyk do you have a digital controller you recommend that's compatible? 

Any wall mounted digital kiln controller will work. Just make sure it's rated for the amperage that the kiln uses. If you get one that's rated for 50 amps, you could use it on a larger kiln later if you upgrade. I recommend getting a touch screen controller if it's in your budget.

Thx again for all the suggestions. I was able to pick the Kiln & furniture up last night for $550.

I just started looking and typically with these sort of purchases I research more extensively. Anyways, I'm here now with a kiln that I'm not 100% sure how to use B). I'll be reading the manual and searching this forum. Probably won't get to firing it up for a few weeks because I'm busy with other projects. 

Attached are some pictures in its temporary location. The tag was still on it and the daughter of the previous owner said it was only fired a few times because they had a smaller kiln they used. 

copy 2.jpg

copy4.jpg

copy1.jpg

copy3.jpg

• 9 months later...

Hi, 

I was wondering if you converted kiln & how it went and cost to convert. Any regrets?
May be able to get a cress FX31a (can’t find any info on it other than manufactured at same time 1991) but hesitant as seller doesn’t have it hooked up to see if elements work and it’s a two hour drive. I take it the $550 USD? I’m in Australia. 

14 hours ago, HunterAus11 said:

May be able to get a cress FX31a (can’t find any info on it other than manufactured at same time 1991)

Cress is still in business so manuals and wiring diagrams available. Knowing the nameplate data and operating voltage would be helpful as this kiln appears to have been made in 208v and 240 v models. https://www.cressmfg.com/resources/
hope that  helps.

Edited by Bill Kielb

• 1 month later...

Hi y’all, hoping this forum is still alive! 
i just snagged a Cress FX23P off of Facebook marketplace for a very similar reason the original author of this post made, proximity. 

I’ve been searching for the past year waiting for an electric skutt kiln to pop up anywhere within 5 hour driving radius, but this one popped up just last week 20 minutes away from me and I had to just jump in it! 

Im looking forward to learning more about my new baby!