Kilowatt costs-whats yours?

Just did a calculation on our last bill and our area is 23 cents  per kilowatt and this is the lower winter rate cost for power as hydroelectric is in full swing.

I know we have one of the highest rates in mainland.

My 10 cubic 1227 Skutt is around 18-20$ for a 08 bisque during winter rates

I did this calculation  buy shutting off our 9.6 KW solar system on bisque day to see the current rates

So glad we went solar last year.

If I recall the  utility pays Galzenerd (Tom) to fire his kilns just to get some electrons  moving down the line.

Whats your kilowatt cost for your area-

According to the latest bill, it was $.12  Canadian in December, and went up to about $.16 for January. It’s usually more expensive this time of year because winter, and like Bill mentioned, natural gas is going up.  I don’t do a locked in rate because it averages out cheaper not to.

So December was about $.095 US, and January is $.126/KWh.

We're on a PGE "net metering" plan, where the meter runs "backward" when the solar is producing more than we're using.
We try pare down the juice use during "part peak" and "peak" rate times, e.g. charging the car and firing the kiln...

Our "off peak" rate just went up to 25.4¢/kw
   That's "Tier 1" - if we consume more than 8.2kw/day the rates jump to "Tier 2"...

When we had solar installed, at then current rates, we figured break-even point was almost five years away, however, electric rates went up - I'm figurin' we broke even in less than four years and add in that running an electric car can be a $aver.

About 17 cents in my shop, although I haven't calculated it recently. The rate tends to fluctuate each month depending on how much I use. I have not idea how they calculate it. My supplier doesn't offer off-hour rates for commercial accounts, which is unfortunate because I fire almost exclusively at night. My 10 cubic foot kiln costs about $18 for a cone 6  firing with a cooling cycle, which is not much if you consider the value of the work that can fit in it. 

One thing to remember is that the cost per kWh that is listed on your electric bill is not the actual cost to you. There's also the delivery fee and a million other charges on there. To get the true cost per kWh, you have to take the total cost for the month and divide it by the total kWh usage for that month.

all this is true

(One thing to remember is that the cost per kWh that is listed on your electric bill is not the actual cost to you. There's also the delivery fee and a million other charges on there. To get the true cost per kWh, you have to take the total cost for the month and divide it by the total kWh usage for that month.)

theres is a lot to figure to get that true cost-and for some like me their is a tier system to consider

2 minutes ago, Mark C. said:

There's also the delivery fee and a million other charges on there. To get the true cost per kWh, you have to take the total cost for the month and divide it by the total kWh usage for that month.)

theres is a lot to figure to get that true cost

I always viewed it as consisting of the demand, delivery, taxes, etc…….. as long as it’s based on amount consumed I think it is your cost for kWh of electricity unless you are demand limiting etc…. It’s interesting to know I guess but not sure what one would do with it other than realize: taxes, delivery and subsidies may be high.

The other fees, total cost, good point Neal.

Looks like our delivery accumulates daily at 33.26 cents/day, so ~$10/month; energy commission tax,3 to 4 cents/month.
I'm curious how our ~10/month (it's fairly constant/nonvariable) "other fees" compares to other utility vendors' ...particularly as our off peak per kW is on leaderboard, #1 as o' today...

Next day:

On account o' curious, found Electricity Rates By State - EnergyBot, confirmed Hawaii has highest average kwh rate, ~34 cents, California next, ~24 cents.

Just because I happen to have the last quarter’s bills handy (thanks, GST filing), The rate riders and delivery charges are static. So I’d be paying those to power my house anyways. 

Depending on how you want to generate your reporting, or what purposes you need it for, it may or may not be valuable to include those in your KWh calculations. For tax purposes, I wind up writing off a percentage of my entire bill that’s based on the size of my studio within my home, so the fixed cost portion of the bill is included. But if I’m figuring COGS, I don’t include the fixed costs.

Yes I',m the same with you Callie on a % of space (studio to house interior square feet)  which also includes my office (in home) to calculate  the percentage of electric bills. I have a separate gas meter so thats a straight bill not a percentage . That % includes property tax and a few other items as well in the same calculation.

I keep my vehilces separate as well-one for business -one for personal etc

Tom is paying 2/3 less for power than us-maybe its a power plant on the river or snaow melt power maybe its corn stalks for bio mass burn. Mid west power is super cheap.

19 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

t’s not considered as overhead? Just asking …

Because I have a home based studio, I’d be paying the fixed costs even if I wasn’t self employed.

Edited to add: If I was renting space somewhere else, or even had it on a separate meter, the whole thing would be included.

Haven't looked at an electric bill in years.   I get 3 of them.  One farm, one residential, one commercial.  Farm was .10, residential .12 & commercial .13 per kWh.  This was for December, not sure if it changes per month.   Bills are down from last year due to using timers in the show room.  For some reason Mississippi adds sales tax to commercial rates.

11 hours ago, DirtRoads said:

You fire bisque to cone 08?

yes  when in an electric always to cone 08 for my porcelain no need to go higher. In the gas kilns (which is 99% of where I bisque work) its no cone just a pryro reading of around 1800

Most folks really bisque hotter but I have found its not gaining me anything so 08 for past 30 plus years. Of course the kilns are packed super tight and its all  porcelain.

Sales tax on electricity ? that a new one-whats next air tax on breathing air?

Mark C.

When I built my house in 05/06; I was working with SIU-E on a green energy study a group of students were involved with. They took my house plans, and did energy modeling studies using various heat sources, insulation R values, and U- values. I had a working relationship with Trane (HVAC), and they were testing a new 19 seer 2-stage heat pump. Our local electric provider was also working with SIU-E as part of a Federal study. So at the time; my house was built using cutting edge (now common) materials and HVAC equipment. For nearly a decade, my house was monitored for consumption, and data sent to SIU-E. My 0.06 cents per kilowatt was part of that arrangement. 

Tom

Archived