Deep Studio cleaning

I am almost done with my 5 week break from clay work after xmas. 

I decided to really get down and go deep this year into a complete vac / mop out clean. 

I spend about 2-3 hours a day on it. Started at the top and worked down to floor

Been washing everything -real misery . Today I clogged my central vac system with to much dried clay and had to snake it out.

The most heavy thing I have ever found in ceramics is the Bag of fines that my Oneda dust devil separator collects-it makes wet clay seem light. 

I think this may be the most I have ever done to the studio in decades cleaning wise.

I have been downsizing stuff as I go-recycle-trash-sell- give away. I have found stuff from the 70s I had no idea i had

My mentors clay tool box with large heavy wood throwing ribs that he copied from  Hamada  when he came thru Humboldt State for a workshop in the 60s (before my time)

My 1st clay extruder  from 1973 -playdough-I made brick sculptures  from it. -I'll post a photo below

Back to throwing next week -going to start off slowly . I have a big wholesale order since November for early spring (delivery is in early March)

I hope to get the studio done by then. I'm about 5/8 of the  way thru it. .

I need a shower after this every day really bad. Its amazing even though I use a central Vac system twice a week how much dust gets in the crannies

Ceramics is slowing killing me, I'm sure, but I still love it. 

IMG_4517.jpeg

If you have been in a funky ceramic studio for 49 years straight you never know whats deep in the corners under shelves besides lost of dust.. I have done this in sections just not all at once.I found an ancient mouse house in a really old  burlap storage box.

This got me thinking to start downsizing my house ceramics book library collection in next few months  in house-I recall when Marcia sold her books before moving-thought that was a great idea then.

I'll do the same with the diving books in house-making more home space feels the same as more studio space.

I had just finished a pretty deep clean in my studio when I fell.  I really didn't have a choice.  I had to move everything around for termite treatment,  I didn't sell any books but I did give away two clay boxes filled with Ceramic Monthly's.   I'll tackle the bookshelf next deep clean,  right now I am anxious to get out there and mess it up again.     Denice

• 2 weeks later...

My floor drains and hose are SUCH a dream to clean with. Only thing that gets wiped down aside from tools (as they get used), is the little bit of solid shelving I have in the shop(mostly wire shelving carts), and my windowsills; everything else is a beer in one hand, hose in the other. 30 mins later, and its ready to get messy again! If someone were to ask me what the most important design of a studio should be, it would be cleaning easily. DO NOT miss the days of doing what you described!

i put one in my last studio but it was sunken just 3 or 4 inches below the floor level.  it was just inside the studio next to the bathroom i shared with the bedroom next door.   the drain was in the center of a depression that was covered by a metal grate so i could walk into the bathroom over the metal grate.   the inspector thought the 24x24 room must be a garage so i could not put a drain  in the flat floor.    the worry is that some kind of flammable liquid could spill in a garage and flow into the house. that is why actual garage floors slope to the outdoors.

17 hours ago, Denice said:

I wanted a floor drain in my studio but the county wouldn't let me put one in.   The inspector couldn't give me a reason why not just told me I couldn't do it.    Denice

Here in Ohio the reasoning was this; because I have garage doors into my shop, technically a vehicle could come into this space, and consequently oils could end up in the drain system; to prevent this an oil separator would have to be used, or a holding tank.

3 hours ago, LeeU said:

I have one of those books, which is on single firing that Old Lady had recommended. I love it that Marcia wrote me a little note & signed it!

I think later this spring I to will reduce my Ceramic library of 50 years-I think she was onto something.Books take up tons of space

my many years of ceramics monthly went to someone in maryland.   i put an ad here, i think, and he contacted me.  i never met his wife but wish i had .  her husband showed me a photo of a pot she made.  i  was stunned, it looked like the Robineau Scarab pot intricately carved, beautiful proportions, absolutely excellent.   when i said so he brushed it off as though it were nothing, just her hobby.    i really would like to meet his wife.

now i have a whole bookcase available.  he took home 6 -7 boxes full of magazines.

On 2/9/2022 at 3:37 PM, oldlady said:

i put one in my last studio but it was sunken just 3 or 4 inches below the floor level.  it was just inside the studio next to the bathroom i shared with the bedroom next door.   the drain was in the center of a depression that was covered by a metal grate so i could walk into the bathroom over the metal grate.   the inspector thought the 24x24 room must be a garage so i could not put a drain  in the flat floor.    the worry is that some kind of flammable liquid could spill in a garage and flow into the house. that is why actual garage floors slope to the outdoors.

Garage doors slope to the outdoors because the fumes are denser than air and thus they flow downwards and out the door this way.  That's what I've ben told. 

So hey, you made some comment (I think) about putting in a 400 amp service? Right?  May I ask, is that for like 4 kilns?  Thanks!

Marc

400 amps were for lots of outlets on a large property.  the house and studio were 72 feet long and had a basement and second floor.  3 bed, 3 bath, studio with lots of outlets so i could use tools anywhere i wanted.  the kiln was in its own shed behind the studio. add in a  2 car garage with apartment above, shed for living in before i finished the garage and a barn for the ponies, sheep and goats.  and chickens.  the "barn" was a run in shed that was supposed to be 12 feet at the open south facing side and 8 at the back where i stored 8 bales of hay at a time.   the carpenter did not understand why i objected to the use of my 2 very expensive 14 foot long 6x6s at opposite corners instead of on the front.   building became shorter and i had to duck to get to the hay.  he also used the very expensive window extensions for the house as the Z in the door.    

i learned that a carpenter sees a piece of wood differently from the person who paid for it.  lots of good times there.

i requested 400 amps for another house i built but the utility co refused.   i ran 6 strand wire everywhere and used up almost the entire 200 amps.   when i sold it, the new owners finished the basement and added 200 amps.  funny thing.

On 1/27/2022 at 10:30 AM, oldlady said:

yup, that is a familiar tool.  could be called "vintage" by now.

Well then mine would be an antique by now.  The original 1960 version (of the Play-Doh Fun Factory).  Wish I still had it.  At least the OP still has his, LOL!

Also not to forget Silly Putty.  Squishing it onto the Sunday comics to get backwards pictures you could stretch was a laffamile.  More than one way to gateway to pottery ...

On 1/28/2022 at 9:59 AM, Denice said:

I had just finished a pretty deep clean in my studio when I fell.  I really didn't have a choice.  I had to move everything around for termite treatment,  I didn't sell any books but I did give away two clay boxes filled with Ceramic Monthly's.   I'll tackle the bookshelf next deep clean,  right now I am anxious to get out there and mess it up again.     Denice

"In the year 2525, if man is still alive, if woman can survive they may find ..."  Ceramics Monthly's piled to the rafters.  SCAN those puppies!  It's the Digital Era!

I don't need to scan them,  I read each one three times,  I also have several CD's that Ceramic Monthly has loaded the data from the magazine on.   I have learned a lot of  unusual tips from the first years of the magazine.   I think I am going to be able to get out to my studio in a week or so,  my knee is getting better by the day.   It will be perfect timing,  the weather here is going to warm up next week.  My studio is hard to keep warm especially when it is in the single digits outside.    Denice

Those CMs may still be available in .pdf (digital file) form.
I have a dozen or so - not remembering where I found them just now - that I downloaded whilst in the process of searching/researching something, probably glaze recipes, a particular potter/artist, or some topic that came up in this here forum.

On 2/24/2022 at 2:50 PM, Callie Beller Diesel said:

I mean, you can, but the archive on this website for Ceramics Monthly goes back to November of 1980. 

Not for free ... I think I have scanned versions of Ceramics Monthly and Pottery Illustrated until sometime in the 20-teens (complete).  I need to re-up my subscriptions.  I've considered paying for access but I've been waiting for the "new" website to get fixed.  I gave up trying to get them to fix my old login and created a new one.  Wasn't one of the reasons for the "upgrade" supposed to be to only have ONE login between here and there?  Or did I misunderstand that?

On 2/24/2022 at 6:17 PM, Callie Beller Diesel said:

@Mark C.I don’t need to see Paul Soldner’s creepy ads.

Now I'm torn - between risking not being able to unsee something and leaving it to my possibly much more horrid imagination.

On 2/23/2022 at 12:47 PM, Denice said:

I don't need to scan them,  I read each one three times

Unfortunately my memory is not up to such a task anymore, LOL!

Archived