Handle collapsed during firing

Sometimes stuff like this happens...it looks to me like the handle was too wide and too thin to support itself during the glaze firing. Hard to say not having seen the original configuration of the handle. Here is an example of what the weight of the jewelry pieces caused during the glaze firing. The clay is Laguna B-Mix ^5 fired to ^5...

1201238910_Jewelrystandcollapse1.jpg.571f7c7dbfef6266c7afebcc0f942b6a.jpg633298200_Jewelrystandcollapse2.jpg.13eb0ad6d4d8e793d7954fb03f99540e.jpg

Looks like its just a thin ribbon of clay-paper clay also has voids that burn out (hence paper clay) =thin paper clay-slumped

also the shape I'm guessing was not a strong curve but an overextended shape to begin with (looks that way as so much clay is hanging)

On 2/19/2021 at 8:29 AM, JohnnyK said:

Sometimes stuff like this happens...it looks to me like the handle was too wide and too thin to support itself during the glaze firing. Hard to say not having seen the original configuration of the handle. Here is an example of what the weight of the jewelry pieces caused during the glaze firing. The clay is Laguna B-Mix ^5 fired to ^5...

1201238910_Jewelrystandcollapse1.jpg.571f7c7dbfef6266c7afebcc0f942b6a.jpg633298200_Jewelrystandcollapse2.jpg.13eb0ad6d4d8e793d7954fb03f99540e.jpg

Ugggg, same thing happened to me. I immediately gave up on trying to make jewelry, such a PITA!

this is a learning experience.    you did a good job on most of it but the design of the handle was not thought out well.   even if the handle had stayed the same as it looked at bisque, there is no room to actually hold the item by the handle.   the strap is too wide and the spout so close that there would be no room for a hand if the handle rose above the rim.   

this is one to save for a reminder of what you did well and what was not successful.   we all have lots of those reminders.  the intent was good so how will you do the next one?   maybe a little shorter spout so the proportions are more pleasing.   definitely a thicker, shorter, hand friendly handle.   look at your favorite mug and how it fits your hand.   

the panels of floral design work well, next one will be even better and after about 6 of them, you will have conquered it.

Archived