Tall vase bends at cone 6 glaze fire

Hello.... I have made several tall vases using slab roller and cylindrical forms that have survived the bisque fire, however, failed and bent during glaze fire.   Clay i use is B-mix 5 with no grog.   I only had one witness cone in the kiln and it showed proper heating to cone 6.   What can be the cause of this failure?   Elements in the kiln where all replaced two months ago, and pieces where all on the same half shelf.   Appreciate all inputs.

• 4 months later...

@Farideh Warpage is common when working with slabs. Make sure you're rolling the slabs in multiple directions- roll a little bit, turn, roll a little bit, turn, etc. Don't roll it down to thickness all in one direction or the clay particles will align in that one direction and be more likely to warp during glaze firing.

Personally, I don't consider the warpage in that piece to be a failure. Perfection is not necessary, imperfection adds character.

32 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

@Farideh Warpage is common when working with slabs. Make sure you're rolling the slabs in multiple directions- roll a little bit, turn, roll a little bit, turn, etc. Don't roll it down to thickness all in one direction or the clay particles will align in that one direction and be more likely to warp during glaze firing.

Personally, I don't consider the warpage in that piece to be a failure. Perfection is not necessary, imperfection adds character.

Me too

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 10:30 PM, Farideh said:

rolling in multiple direction a try.

When rolled into a cylindrical shape, the effects of a single side rolling are usually negated.

If you rub your seam closed in one direction, you reintroduce specific orientation.

It Bent toward the seam?

Sorce

Archived