Mechanized Banding Wheel?

Markp1964

Ive never seen a mechanized banding wheel. Seen plenty of small table top "wheels" that function basically as a motorized banding wheel. Not sure about any that would "allow" you to mechanize them. Can you post images, or describe where we could look at this listing?

In regards to lightweight, small, generally underpowered "wheels", you're gonna want to use a liberal amount of water. Unless your making tiny pots (1-2" pots) (using ONLY your fingertips or small tools to manipulate the clay), any amount of resistance you apply to those wheels, will stop them in a heartbeat. Water provides the lubrication which will ease the amount of strain placed upon the small motors. I assume this is what you mean by "dry thrown".

The best banding wheels Ive ever used are made by Shimpo. They are not light in weight; maybe 20# or so. Great bearings, and the weight is built nicely into the rim of the wheel; Thing spins for days with minimal effort. Not cheap though.

7 hours ago, Markp1964 said:

While shopping online for a banding wheel, noted one said in the description that it was "grooved to allow mechanization". Where can I find out more about this? Sounds like a small wheel that would be good for small scale projects, especially if 'dry thrown'. 

I'd contact the manufacturer.

11 hours ago, Hulk said:

As described on Amaco's website, below. Huh, 'spose it would be handy to have both ...hands free.

I guess if you had the motor already, and all the belts, pulleys, gear reduction/drive control, and all the metal, and fab experience to put it all together, it might be cheaper than just buying a commercially produced motorized wheel for the same task.

I was watching a video though on Youtube about a toilet factory in Europe; their spray booth had a large banding wheel, which was connected via a chain drive, to a sprocket, which had a steering wheel on it. Allowed the user to not have to stick their hands/body into the path of the spray gun, to rotate the banding wheel; left hand on steering wheel, right hand on spray gun. Was quite a nice solution; when Im spraying, my left forearm and hand gets coated in overspray.

I've made a few banding wheels from old ceiling fans and was asked in the past if I could "motorize" them. It's been a while, but I have given it some thought and have some ideas on how to accomplish the task. I'll continue brainstorming and see if I can come up with a plan. The fan banders are nowhere near being in the class made by the big names, but what would you expect for a $5 thrift store purchase?1173562547_Bandingwheel2sm.jpg.0f76a2804e4764a1c30a00e3cc41dc17.jpg4611377_Bandingwheel3sm.jpg.a316173770a33658cc834ea2a84c0554.jpg

a week or two ago, there was a banding wheel listed on ebay.  the heading was "Pottery wheel"  and its price was $369.   i contacted the seller and told them it was a banding wheel and since it was so old it was not worth $10.   they corrected the listing and reduced the price to $259.   IT IS APPARENTLY AN ANTIQUE!!

still listed today for $109.

On 1/30/2019 at 2:58 PM, liambesaw said:

I got an awesome one on Amazon on the recommendation of a baker I know.  I was amazed at the quality and highly recommend.  It's aluminum and cast iron and a lot nicer (and cheaper) than the amaco ones. I haven't used a shimpo one other than the free plastic ones that come with wheels

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCBDUUO/

I got that one, on your recommendation, for my granddaughter's sculpture projects. I was impressed by how sturdy and well-built it is. Nice smooth spin and a large table. Thanks :) 

I think I prefer my old Lockerbie banding wheel for pots, though, heavyweight but with a smaller table, since most of my pots are under 8" wide and I can always add a bat if I need wider.

13 minutes ago, Rae Reich said:

I got that one, on your recommendation, for my granddaughter's sculpture projects. I was impressed by how sturdy and well-built it is. Nice smooth spin and a large table. Thanks :) 

I think I prefer my old Lockerbie banding wheel for pots, though, heavyweight but with a smaller table, since most of my pots are under 8" wide and I can always add a bat if I need wider.

I only use mine for glazing but so far very impressed with how sturdy and smooth it is.  In school we had the amaco ones, they probably last forever but not the greatest at spinning (and EXPENSIVE)

• 1 year later...
On 1/31/2019 at 6:55 AM, JohnnyK said:

I've made a few banding wheels from old ceiling fans and was asked in the past if I could "motorize" them. It's been a while, but I have given it some thought and have some ideas on how to accomplish the task. I'll continue brainstorming and see if I can come up with a plan. The fan banders are nowhere near being in the class made by the big names, but what would you expect for a $5 thrift store purchase?1173562547_Bandingwheel2sm.jpg.0f76a2804e4764a1c30a00e3cc41dc17.jpg4611377_Bandingwheel3sm.jpg.a316173770a33658cc834ea2a84c0554.jpg

Well, I have finally gotten to the point where I have powered my banding wheel design so that it will turn at a very slow speed suitable for use as a spraying turntable. The biggest problem has been getting it to work with a commercially available dimmer switch...it has something to do with the way the motor is wired with the built in capacitor...not all dimmer switches work the same, but, fortunately, I finally found one that works for me. This winter I'll be working on an electro-mechanical system using a microwave turntable motor and pulley system. Now, on another line of thought...there are the old vinyl record turntables...I wonder if a dimmer or potentiometer will slow one of those down to a suitable speed for spraying? Hmmmmm...

55 minutes ago, JohnnyK said:

Well, I have finally gotten to the point where I have powered my banding wheel design so that it will turn at a very slow speed suitable for use as a spraying turntable.

This sounds awesome, but is the system sealed so that the wet glaze won't short it out?

Archived