Math Problem Is Beyond Me

oldlady

That one is too easy. Here is a harder problem:

I made an 8000 gram batch of glaze in a bucket. There was supposed to be 0.15% chrome oxide but I accidentally added 0.75%. Each bucket can hold a 10,000 gram batch of glaze. How many buckets do I need to buy to dilute the glaze back to having 0.15% chrome oxide?

Explain your solution.

I think I got this one.

8000gms x .15% = 12gms chrome oxide  (recipe)

You put in 8000 x .75% = 60 gms

You have 4x too much chrome oxide

So you need to make up  32000gms (4X8000gms) of the original glaze minus the chrome oxide.

Which with your original 8000gms = 40000 or 4 buckets of 10000gms . You need to buy 3 since you already have one

Check answer. You will have 40000gms x .15% chrome =  60 gms chrome oxide.

And you will have a lot of glaze.

Why can I do this so much easier than throwing a pot???

That one is too easy. Here is a harder problem:

I made an 8000 gram batch of glaze in a bucket. There was supposed to be 0.15% chrome oxide but I accidentally added 0.75%. Each bucket can hold a 10,000 gram batch of glaze. How many buckets do I need to buy to dilute the glaze back to having 0.15% chrome oxide?

Explain your solution.

Make up two more 8000g base glaze batches, giving you 24,000g in total, this should knock the 0.75% chrome down to 0.15% (you would have added 36g instead of 12g of chrome to the 8000g batch to make 0.75%)

You'll need 3x10,000g buckets to contain the 24,000g

EDIT: my %'s were wrong, listen to 123pop

My thinking, .15 was needed, you put in .75. so x(.15)=.75. or 5(.15)=.75. So you already have one bucket, you need 4 more. Now to really burst your bubble, is your glaze mixed with water yet? You have two options mix the whole thing in a large container, and then separate into barrels, or separate into 5 containers and add your material. not adding any additional chrome oxide. Last, and final option is to make up large batch dry mix well, mix the regular bucket, bag the other for future use. Test the H(&^ out of the batch you mix up to assure that all is right.

best,

Pres

andrea, now that i looked again, i see that my thank you post has not shown up.  maybe last night was just a totally braindead event.  i really did type a thank you for the obvious number you could see but i could not.

even added a happy face.   

will try again.

thank you, andrea, i have mixed it up.   :D

Archived