Can anyone tell me why these broke during 04 firing? 4 out of 6 broke. Are these cooling breaks? I used paragons schedule that they have on you tube. But during the cooling phase the alarm sounded and flashes FTC (failure to cool). I don't understand that since this is what paragon is showing to do. Very confused.

Thanks

Linda

post-63230-0-05887000-1405794382_thumb.jpg

post-63230-0-05887000-1405794382_thumb.jpg

I think we need more information. What is the clay? How were these stacked? How large are they. Were they dry? was it the top tile of each stack that broke?Did you have anything..like grog underneath them or in between them?

I am not familiar with the failure to cool alarm? Did the kiln not shut off?

Sorry for your loss. 

Marcia

Totally dry. 3 weeks + in drying. Cone 5 B Mix Laguna. 12" tiles at 1/2" thickness. I stacked 4 on middle shelf and stacked 2 with 1 bullnose and triangles on top shelf. The 2 on top shelf broke. 2 of 4 broke on the middle shelf (4 stacked). The top one and bottom one broke. The bottom shelf had triangles and small bullnose with no problems. Had nothing underneath nor in between. I was told by Angela Pozo I could stack at least 4 safely. But no more. Hope this helps. Thank you.

Firing schedule I programmed:

Cone 04

Speed Medium (standard)

Preheat 1 hour

Hold 10 minutes

Cool 200* per hour

I don't make tiles but my thoughts would be that firing a 2" total thickness of fine clay tiles on your middle shelf at the preprogrammed med speed with only a 1hr candle is just too fast. Even the 1" thickness might be too much for that fast a firing. 

Oops. Sorry. Looked back at what I wrote down. I did slow speed. Maybe that's why the FTC alarm sounded? If I fire them standing up on edge this large will they not warp? Would I leN them against ghe sides of the kiln? I have another large batch of large tiles to fire. It may be easier/quicker and more foolproof for me to fire single layer then have to go back and wait 3 weeks for drying? Marcia how large are the ones you fired on edge? I do have tile setters. Will those work on tiles this large? Thank you for all of your help!

No no mixing of the clays. Here is my process that I go through step-by-step.

I cut the clay right out-of-the-box from Laguna Clay I cut each pug in thirds which is exactly what I need to cut out one tile. I then roll it through my slab roller. II which is also brand new. I might mention too that my kiln is new and only used 3 times...once was the conditioning firing. I started out on one and between two canvases and roll it at 3 inches first. I I turn it and then I roll it at about 2 1/2 inches. I continued do this until I reach the 7/8 inch mark which is where it needs to be 1/2 inch after the final firing. I think carefully place a sheet rock underneath the tile. And then place one on top so that I can remove the canvases. I then just trace my pattern onto the wet clay very lightly. I've been trim off the excess clay leaving about half inch all the way around. I sandwich the tile between two pieces of sheet rock to dry to leather hard stage. I've been trim the tile to the actual tile pattern and then I traced my design on top. I'll let that dry another three hours. I then carve my design. I do that about 3 times because I'm doing it very lightly to go in little by little. I'm actually just outlining it all so there's some definition between the background and the actual design. I never rest my whole hand on the tile I'm only using my fingertips. I've been put the sheet rock back on top and place it on the drying rack. Then I flip it every 24 hours for three days for drying evenly. And replacing sheet rock as it becomes wet. During the whole process of drying I do keep it covered with sheet of plastic After that I take it off completely and put it on a heavy-duty wire industrial baking rack to dry completely. I llet all tiles dry for three weeks before I clean them up ready to fire for bisque firing. Thank you everyone for your trying to help.

Guest JBaymore

Does anyone ELSE have access to your studio where the kiln is?

best,

.......................john

PS: I've only seen cracking like this in 40+ years from one type of thing.

Guest JBaymore

Looks like the stack of tiles were put down hard.  Broken in handling.

I was wondering if someone else had picked up that stack and set it down harder than it should have been.

Other that that........ I've never seen that kind of cracking.  Bizzare.

best,

.....................john

Looks like the stack of tiles were put down hard.  Broken in handling.

I was wondering if someone else had picked up that stack and set it down harder than it should have been.

Other that that........ I've never seen that kind of cracking.  Bizzare.

best,

.....................john

Only I handle them and I placed them very gently one x one so I know that wasn't it. I never picked up more than one tile at any time during the whole process. Yes. Bizarre!! Thank you.

Like Chris said, to me the cracks don't even look jagged, like most cracks I've seen.

John's suggestion makes sense. I have my students make slab relief sculptures. Most of the breaks come from when the students just drop the project on a surface. Those breaks, almost always, follow a weak part of the slab, like where the student carved in.

My Laguna B-mix 5 plates once cracked kind of like this (only one jagged crack down the middle) when I peaked in the kiln too early and let in a blast of cool air. I heard them go right then and realized that I'd just done a really dumb thing. Did yours cool too quickly, even though the error said "failure to cool"?

For future firings, you might want to think about clay slats between tiles and between the kiln shelf and the bottom tile of the stack. A quarter inch thick slat, maybe an inch or so wide should do, in various lengths. Slats, or coils, would allow for air circulation during cooling. It would also minimize the chance for the tile to snag on uneven kiln wash or other tiles while the tiles expand/contract during firing.

Also think about carving out portions of the reverse side of your tiles; again, that would give you air pockets that will help on cooling, etc. From your picture, it appears the tiles are solid.

At least for the tile in the picture, which I am guessing was the top tile on the top shelf, my inclination is to think uneven cooling -- with the outer edges and sides cooling faster than the middle/core (which was also retaining heat from the tile underneath. As for the middle stack, I think too much heat retention from a too dense stack. Just give them some air in between.

>The FTC error message is nothing to worry about, as you surmised. FTC means "Failed to Cool." FTC appears during a cooling segment and means the programmed cooling rate is faster than the kiln can cool down. To eliminate the FTC message during your next firing, program a slower cooling rate. Since the kiln cools down more slowly than the programmed rate, you may be able to eliminate that cooling segment altogether.<

This explanation is from the Paragon site which leads me to ask the questions ...

Did you program in your own schedule for this firing rather than just firing it to Cone 04? The addition of hold time, cooling temps etc. makes me wonder.

Did you have any witness cones to tell you what temp the kiln got to? Or did not get to?

Archived