#21 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:03 AM

Nice post Norm, and after watching numerous home improvement shows, I'm inclined to agree.

Though when it comes to displaying symptoms of mental illness, I don't think too many artists can throw stones. When it comes to materials, I'm a boarderline hoarder, and Pres talks to his pots. That's just the tip of the iceburg too.
"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#22 ChenowethArts

ChenowethArts

Senior Geek & Whimsical Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee - Where at least a few studios make something besides music.

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:50 AM

Nice post Norm, and after watching numerous home improvement shows, I'm inclined to agree.

Though when it comes to displaying symptoms of mental illness, I don't think too many artists can throw stones. When it comes to materials, I'm a boarderline hoarder, and Pres talks to his pots. That's just the tip of the iceburg too.

Wait. "Preston talks to his pots.."  Ummm, doesn't everybody? B)

Paul Chenoweth
Visit/Like me on Facebook
Connect on Twitter
Mostly Ceramics on Pinterest

#23 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

Wait. "Preston talks to his pots.."  Ummm, doesn't everybody? B)

No, but I may start.

Of, course, if cursing at them counts as talking, then I guess I already do.
"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#24 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,113 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:02 PM

I would say something like "Hello in there, anybody home". The studio would bust up! Truth is there is a different sound from differently thrown pots. When mine did not sound right, it was time for more volume. Of course at times you can hear the pot talk back to you from the vibrations of the drive, and the bearing sounds can be magnified. Then again too, maybe it is just the imagination of a guy who over the years became hard of hearing and had to get hearing aids to hear the wind, or the talking of pots.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#25 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:20 PM

Yes talking to pots is normal, so you're the one Benzine! Though cursing them is a  healthy start.

Getting answers from them, haven't waited long enough, but as Pres noticed they some times sing on the wheel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users