Sign in to follow this  
High Bridge Pottery

How to stop stamp sticking to clay

I need some help, got a ceramics stamp that has a lot of small detail. When pressed into clay it deforms the clay and pulls bits up. I was reading somewhere that cornstarch could help it not stick so just wanted your ideas on this area. Maybe talc powder? I did read the article in relation to polymer clay but thought it could work on normal clay.

The cornstarch would just burn off in the bisque firing?

Thank you in advance

I need some help, got a ceramics stamp that has a lot of small detail. When pressed into clay it deforms the clay and pulls bits up. I was reading somewhere that cornstarch could help it not stick so just wanted your ideas on this area. Maybe talc powder? I did read the article in relation to polymer clay but thought it could work on normal clay.

Thank you in advance

An easy trick is a plastic grocery bag: : works nice for signing leather clay with a dull pencil too!

sometimes finding the right consistancy of the clay helps too, with smaller details ... softer clay sticks to those fine details, more surface area to do so. plastic will work so will some ball clay in powder form, corn starch helps as well. Sometimes really it comes down to having an excellently designed stamp that is a blend of fine details and solid design that doesn't lend itself to clay failures but that just comes with using many many stamps to know what is perfect for you.

A light spray of WD-40 on your stamp will keep it from sticking and gives a good clean impression. You can usually make several impessions before having to spray again. I've used it to spray all sorts of things I've pressed into clay with excellent results. I've also used cornstarch but the impression isn't as crisp.

Marcia H.

gypsy likes this

Thank you in advance

Thank you in advance

I stamp a lot, and always have used any kind of cooking oil. Whatever is on hand, olive, canola, etc. dip the stamp in whenever needed. Burns off in firing. The clay should stiffen up a tiny bit. I would not stamp a bowl I had just thrown- put outside or 5-10 minutes depending on the weather.