How to stop stamp sticking to clay

I need some help, got a ceramics stamp that has a lot of small detail. When pressed into clay it deforms the clay and pulls bits up. I was reading somewhere that cornstarch could help it not stick so just wanted your ideas on this area. Maybe talc powder? I did read the article in relation to polymer clay but thought it could work on normal clay.

The cornstarch would just burn off in the bisque firing?

Thank you in advance

I need some help, got a ceramics stamp that has a lot of small detail. When pressed into clay it deforms the clay and pulls bits up. I was reading somewhere that cornstarch could help it not stick so just wanted your ideas on this area. Maybe talc powder? I did read the article in relation to polymer clay but thought it could work on normal clay.

Thank you in advance

An easy trick is a plastic grocery bag: : works nice for signing leather clay with a dull pencil too!

sometimes finding the right consistancy of the clay helps too, with smaller details ... softer clay sticks to those fine details, more surface area to do so. plastic will work so will some ball clay in powder form, corn starch helps as well. Sometimes really it comes down to having an excellently designed stamp that is a blend of fine details and solid design that doesn't lend itself to clay failures but that just comes with using many many stamps to know what is perfect for you.

A light spray of WD-40 on your stamp will keep it from sticking and gives a good clean impression. You can usually make several impessions before having to spray again. I've used it to spray all sorts of things I've pressed into clay with excellent results. I've also used cornstarch but the impression isn't as crisp.

Marcia H.

Thank you in advance

Thank you in advance

I stamp a lot, and always have used any kind of cooking oil. Whatever is on hand, olive, canola, etc. dip the stamp in whenever needed. Burns off in firing. The clay should stiffen up a tiny bit. I would not stamp a bowl I had just thrown- put outside or 5-10 minutes depending on the weather.

• 6 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I regularly use cornstarch for all types of situations including helping a slab resist sticking to a mould, and found a nifty tool in the cake decorating section at Michaels craft store. It is a little cup with a screw-on lid and a cloth pocket inside You fill the pocket with cornstarch and then put the lid back on and use it as a "pouncer" to dust things with.  It's come in handy when using really wet clay and a rolling  pin as well. Just know that using cornstarch ups the chances of things getting a bit moldier or stinky if drying slowly - it burns right off though.

I'm interested in the option of using Pam spray or an oil product as some of my stamps are quite intricate... I'm often stamping into clay that I will apply terra sigillata to.  For those of you using an oil-based resist product, do you have any feedback about if that would resist the terra sig?

Corn starch works for most simple stamps, especially those where the stamp is pushing the detail into the clay/ the image is recessed in the clay. For stamps where the detail is raised in the clay, corn starch doesn't work nearly as well as cooking spray, especially if you have fine detail or small text.

WD-40 sprayed into a piece of foam rubber cut to fit  a tin from altoids, allows the user to push the stamp into the foam to pick up just the right amount of resist.   some people don't like the smell, i just close the cover on the tin. 

the stamp dries quickly by evaporation no matter what it is made of.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived