applying slip for stencil decoration

7 hours ago, Hulk said:

...I'll keep an eye out next door; they have the windows in, siding guys should be there soon.

I've stocked up on wafer board. The type with the reflective barrier is smooth on one side, nice for ware boards/shelves.

Wafer board? You mean OSB, oriented strand board? 'Reflective surface' does not compute. 

20 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

Maybe styrofoam insulation it has a shiny foil side?

Can't imagine osb being good with moisture

Contradictions abound. Can't be Masonite, no reflectivity and flexes too much for ware boards. OSB (the only thing that came up in a search for "wafer board" at Lowes), as you say, is yucky surface and not reflective. Styrofoam insulation is not stiff enough for ware boards. If there's something lightweight, inflexible and water resistant that I can carry and shelve multiple pots on, I need it. Did I misunderstand, @Hulk?

Most all the wareboards at the local JC ceramic lab are OSB, which can be a bit rough on feet; they seem to withstand moisture ok - some of them look to have been in use for a very long time, the edges and corners are well worn. Likely they din' cost anything - scraps.

A benefit of having construction next door - scraps! If the wafer board doesn't work out for ware boards and ware shelves, I'll still use it for "other stuff" shelving.

The scraps I gathered are the LP type, with th'lil' pinhole marks, far right in the collage attached. My guess is the downside as roof sheathing would be that that comp shingles and tar paper life goes down, as the heat has to go somewhere, and heat kills tarpaper and tarry shingles. Any road, for ware, we'll see, eh? The shiny side is smoother than any other ware boards I have, that's f'sure.

We saw Steve Martin with the Steep Canyon Rangers a few years ago, good show! That boah can play banjo alrigh' (the Rangers are all right themselves), and still crack a joke as well. While on the subject, check out John Whelan, e.g. "Trip to Skye" and "Dancing to a Lot of Time" can improve your throwing 4.2%!

excuse me.jpg

• 1 month later...

"..I'll keep an eye out next door; they have the windows in, siding guys should be there soon."

The stucco guys are hangin' black paper and chicken wire - no Tyvek scraps next door then; if'n ever I get my hands on some, would be glad to put some in the post to you.

The foiled osb scraps are working great as ware boards/shelves in my lil' studio! Confirmed, the stacks of ware boards at local JC are waferboard (w/o the shiny) - some have been in service for over a decade - not the best in terms of kind to pot feet, per previous.

...meanwhile, the roof next door ended up with eyebrow, gable, and soffit vents all ober, hence I don't get why the radiant barrier roof sheathing, meh, good scraps for me tho'.

39 minutes ago, Hulk said:

"..I'll keep an eye out next door; they have the windows in, siding guys should be there soon."

The stucco guys are hangin' black paper and chicken wire - no Tyvek scraps next door then; if'n ever I get my hands on some, would be glad to put some in the post to you.

Be sure to post them in Tyvek mailers :) 

• 1 year later...

tyvek was designed to repel water.  it may not stick.   it is the covering for my work tables so i can make a mess and wipe it off easily.

liam, it cuts beautifully.   i use it for rough size patterns for large slab pieces.

3 hours ago, oldlady said:

tyvek was designed to repel water.  it may not stick.   it is the covering for my work tables so i can make a mess and wipe it off easily.

liam, it cuts beautifully.   i use it for rough size patterns for large slab pieces.

I meant in the cutting machine :). Different materials can give the ole cutting machine a run for it's money

I have been researching tyvek. There are dozens of textures, coatings, thicknesses etc. It may turn out to be an interesting process to figure out which one would work best. For what I can tell, ones that start with 14 and end with D may be my best candidates. They are soft and tend to be more water absorbent. Of course, there are zillions of types that have those designations.  UGH!!

• 1 year later...
On 4/10/2020 at 2:19 PM, docweathers said:

I have been researching tyvek. There are dozens of textures, coatings, thicknesses etc. It may turn out to be an interesting process to figure out which one would work best. For what I can tell, ones that start with 14 and end with D may be my best candidates. They are soft and tend to be more water absorbent. Of course, there are zillions of types that have those designations.  UGH!!

that was my question too. Which one to buy. As always, "test, test, test"!

if you can, get the answer from the US post office, the kind used in their priority mail envelopes is best for what i want, no fat fibers, no texture.  the manufacturers name is all that appears on the envelope, maybe someone at DuPont can identify it.   if it can handle the treatment given packages in the mail, it is a great product.

Archived