QotW: .Are you a member of a ceramics community in your neighborhood/region/country etc.?

As there have not been any new questions added to the question bank, here is one posted by Evelyne a while back:   Are you a member of a ceramics community in your neighborhood/region/country etc.?

This is something that has come late in my life, joining a ceramics community. I had been a member of the Pennsylvania State Art Educators, on and off for many years. I was also a member of the Pennsylvania State Educators Association (union) for 36 years.  In the 80's I was a member of the Blair county chapter of the  Pennsylvania Guild of Craftsmen,  of which I was the president for one 3 year term. That faded away as the local  guild became more craftsy, and the shows became unjuried, quality crafts were poorly represented and did not sell well.

Now I am a member here, have been a member of NCECA for about 5 years, and will finish my  three year stint with Potters Council this year. I intend to continue with  NCECA, and will attend conferences when I can. I also should get involved in the Potters Guild in State College, but many of their meetings have been when I have had other engagements. In the long run, the forum community is my greatest passion as far as communicating anything involving ceramics.

So How about you, are you a loner, or a joiner or to ask as Evelyne did:are you a member of a ceramics community in your neighborhood/region/country etc.?

best,

Pres

My only real exposure to other potters is within these forum walls. I began my ceramic journey in late 2007/early 2008 and worked alone until Dec. 2015 when I joined this forum. I attended NCECA 2016, which I enjoyed although I left very early before most arrived. I rarely talk about pottery to friends and family; most do not even know I am involved with it. Then again, trying to hold a conversion about meta kaolin / spinel phase transitions does not go over well at dinner. However, I find myself in awe of the pieces I have seen on this site: knowing I do not have those skill sets. That's, life: I am as enamored by the chemistry of clay, as others are making their favorite pieces.

I haven't found a community that I fit in,  there is a group of younger artists that set up a gallery in old town and are involved in Final Friday.   I spoke to one of the members about getting involved and he basically told me I was a old woman and wouldn't fit in with the group.   The potters my age are busy with their work, travel and grandchildren so I have never made a good connection there.   A new multi million dollar arts center opened with week  so I will probably check it out this spring and see what is happening.   Denice

I once was a local ceramic  guild member until it folded a long time ago.

I'm a board member on a local fair board that puts on a art show past 44 years.

I have a plaque that says Bozo of the year award-if that counts-its on nice wood.

I do a salt fire occasionally at my place with fellow potters but's its informal.

I'm a member of Montana Clay although I missed the annual meeting. They have a montana Tour during the Archie Bray summer Brickyard bash where Helena potters host small exhibits by Montana Clay people. The Bash is well attended by collectors. so there is support of that type .

After reading Roberta's post re: NCECA, and ICAN I edited my original post. I have been an NCECA member since about 1972. I have been a Potters Council member since 2001, now ICAN. They are both good groups and inclusive for all members. I was previously a member for 10 years or so  of Clayart. It changed a lot after it left Kentucky Listserv. There was a lot of badgering .

But lets not forget this community as well. I like the daily exchanges on the forum. 

Marcia

yes, the shenandoah potters guild has been around since the 1980s.  they are a great bunch of people and i have mentioned them often.  my gallery shows some of the joint shows put on for the holidays.  an indoor one at thanksgiving weekend and a mothers day show which is outside at the virginia state arboretum.  lots of activities and workshop presentations by various skilled potters from suggestions made by members.

there is another group here in florida but they seem to have vanished into the sea of indifference.....................................

Hmmm. I'm a member of the clay community in that I make friends with people, and will unashamedly start a conversation with random clay types I've never met at shows, art events, online forums, etc.  I believe in sharing information and support pretty freely.  I don't really pay fees to be part of things like the Alberta Potter's Association or the Alberta Craft Council. (Those ones I probably should buy into, but every time I think I ought to get on it, my cash flow usually doesn't let me, and when I have cash flow, I'm too busy to think about memberships.) I don't rent space at North Mount Pleasant Arts Centre, or any other communal space in town, so I'm not part of the guild there, either. But I know people that work there, and we talk. 

had not considered fees.  shenandoah is only $ 30 annually.  if you want to participate in a show, a small fee, $ 30 or so from the smaller bunch benefitting from the sale pays for advertising and other expenses.  afterwords, any additional costs are averaged over the group and might be 12% of sales.  a 1099 tax form comes with it all.  very worthwhile.  participation  in the annual fundraiser which pays for workshops  and making 25 bowls to get into the holiday sale are requirements.

the florida group had no dues but presented ideas at each monthly meeting.  

There are a few potters here in town, but they are not interested in conversation about clay/firing/glaze/element wear/making cone packs or anything at all really.  So I did go searching for community and found YOU ALL!!!!  since then I have connected with a few potters in a town 40 miles east, met some potters at a local workshop (150 miles south) and do stay in touch with people.  It's how I learn, but I work best on my own.  I have a group of makers that I meet with often and we plan joint events and collaborative projects.  That is a great source of support.  But none of them are potters....  

I belong to NCECA, and ICAN and I have a membership in an art center 150 miles south of me,   I do like community!  

Roberta 

Archived