#21 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:26 PM

I don't allow Giffin Grips or any other centering/holding tool in my studio because they are just a substitute for learning a skill that will, in the long run, be much much faster. Tapping center takes 2-3 seconds once you get good at it. Little wads of clay to hold the pot in place are unnecessary if you apply enough pressure to the piece with your left hand as you trim with the right. I use a Snapple lid or Mayonnaise jar lid to distribute the pressure so I don't push through the bottom of the pot. Much cheaper than a Giffin Grip. Again, it all takes practice and getting used to, just like centering, opening, pulling, waxing, glazing, kiln loading, firing, sanding, etc... Why is trimming seen as an evil that demands shortcuts and tricks? It's part of the skill set for making pots.

My other beef with the Giffin Grip, especially for beginners, is that it centers the lip of the pot, not the foot where you will actually be trimming. Unless you throw very centered, and your pot dries very evenly, the foot and lip will not be in perfect alignment, especially with tall cylinder-based forms.
Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#22 DaddyT

DaddyT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:40 PM

Hi, I'm new to this site but have been receiving the e-mails for a couple of years. I also have the Bailey Quick Trim and really do love it. Its wonderful to be able to trim something with an uneven or altered edges, and after drawing the centering lines on the bat itself, I find centering (even the altered items) to be quite simple. However, I did find that a few of the more straight sided items were marred by the edges of the magnets. Perhaps it's operator error-pushing the magnets too tightly to the leather hard item. To correct this problem, I've put 1/4" to 1/2" thick foam pieces in between the magnet and the item being trimmed and that does help. Again, I LOVE THIS ITEM and would highly recommend it.

I was given the Bailey Quick Trim for Chrisstmas and after spending a few minutes putting it together I thought is it going to be worth it? Yes it is. I have used the Grip and by far, this is much simpler than the Grip. I have suggested to Bailey they supply taller magnets and understand they are on the way. You can control any shape you want with this. Square and trim a round foot....endless it seems. If you have a chance, try one.

#23 teardrop

teardrop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:06 AM

The instructor for my classes showed us how to "tap center" but there are also a few Giffin grips in house as well. In the end, students are free to choose what they feel is best for them/what tools they prefer to use.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. Dr. Seuss US author & illustrator (1904 - 1991)

#24 lacemuse

lacemuse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:14 PM

I am lucky, I love to trim!

I center my pot on a bat, then take my sponge full of water and squeeze the water out around the pot. Tap the pot to set up suction, and trim and trim! Without clay lugs, I can run a trimming tool to the bat, if needed. To remove, just pick up your bat and twist gently, the pot comes loose!

For unusual shapes, I use a chuck and a bit of clay. Lugs to hold the chuck, the bit of clay on top of the chuck to secure the pot.

For me, trimming mes my pots look 'finished'.

Ditto to all that.. I enjoy trimming.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users