Mystery Glaze Defect! Help Please.

I need help figuring out this glaze defect.  I've gotten these mugs just where I want them except for this issue.  The defects do not appear anywhere except in the interior of mugs or glasses.  So, for instance, it is never a problem with plates or bowls.  I'm thinking it must be related to the different conditions that arise in the tight confines of the mugs interior (higher heat, perhaps?).   The mugs are dipped first in an ash glaze, allowed to dry, and then second dipped in David Leach II.   The ash glaze is 50% ash, 50% red slip.  David Leach II is :

potash feldspar 45

dolomite  15

frit 3124  5

EPK  15

Silica 10

Talc  10

colorant (iron ochre, or copper carb, or cobalt carb)

The clay is Laguna WC436.  Its an oxidation firing in an electric kiln at cone 6 with a slow cool.  The bisque was to cone 08.

Anyone have any ideas as to what is going on here?  (The hole looks to me as if it goes all the way to the clay.)

IMG_5515.jpg

IMG_5519.JPG

IMG_5513.JPG

11 hours ago, Crooked Lawyer Potter said:

I'm thinking it must be related to the different conditions that arise in the tight confines of the mugs interior (higher heat, perhaps?).

The "higher heat" idea was explored in this thread

... but I wouldn't be surprised if your problem was related to differences in inside and outside glaze application.

If not dopping bisque or wiping down with damp sponge then if liner glaze will be thicker than outside glaze if applied first. Perhaps a test with a play with this aspect may help.

The flaws are beautifully round though 

On 2/5/2024 at 9:42 PM, Crooked Lawyer Potter said:

The defects do not appear anywhere except in the interior of mugs or glasses. 

Are there any differences in glaze application methods/timing between  your mugs/glasses and the other pots?

Edited by PeterH

@Crooked Lawyer Potteris your kiln vented?

I’m not sure if it’s the atmosphere or the temperature that’s different, but if you’ve ever had a chance to look inside a pot that’s at temperature, usually either a raku or wood fire where you could see inside the kiln, you can see that there is indeed a difference in the glow on the inside bowls and cups, and it moves with the kiln’s atmosphere.  (My optometrist would like a word with 20 yo me.)

If that fluctuation is from gasses from the kiln atmosphere, or even from materials decomposing and being contained in more upright forms, venting might take care of it. I notice that your bisque temp is quite low as well. Have you tried going up to cone 06 for the additional burn off?

Callie

Yes the kiln is vented.  I have always bisqued to cone 06 but changed just recently to 08, just to see if it made a difference in the glaze take-up.  I think the current problem appears in both instances -- cone 06 and cone 08 but I am going to make sure by further experiment.  Thanks for your input.

If the first glaze saturates a thin wall then you apply a second coat or glaze the clay can't absorb the extra moisture without pulling away from the clay. I'ld try adding some gum to the ash glaze and then apply the Leach glaze when the ash one is just dry enough to handle. Don't wait too long before applying the Leach glaze.

BTW the David Leach II glaze looks like a cone 10 recipe that someone has added just a titch of boron frit to. Does't look like a cone 6 recipe.

1 hour ago, Min said:

If the first glaze saturates a thin wall then you apply a second coat or glaze the clay can't absorb the extra moisture without pulling away from the clay. I'ld try adding some gum to the ash glaze and then apply the Leach glaze when the ash one is just dry enough to handle. Don't wait too long before applying the Leach glaze.

Concisely put! What I was alluding to...not as articulately.....

Random armchair speculation, two cents, worth every penny. 

The ash glaze is bubbling. The defect is  happening in the cups because, even in a vented kiln, the atmosphere inside a more closed form is different than everywhere else. The iron in your “red slip” is decomposing at the same time your Leach glaze is melting, and it’s doing it more vigorously inside the cups and mugs because there’s a slightly more reduced atmosphere there.

On a different note, I have to agree with @Min about the Leach glaze. It’s melted and gorgeous, but some people may take issue with its durability based on the recipe. 

The easy fix is use a liner glaze on inside and ash glaze on outside-issue is done.

If that sound to hard (an inner and outer glaze job) try- below

Since you are using a iron clay a hotter bisque any help by making sure all organics are burnt out 

yes it looks like the glaze is peeled back clean to me as well. burnouts or ash peeling it back is my guess. Even in oxidation as Kelly said the inners are a slight more reduction  or lets say not as oxidized. One nice liner glaze inside will fix this in a heartbeat

I think it's probably an application issue. How long are you waiting between applying the two glazes? My guess is that the inside is still too wet when you apply the second glaze, and it's failing to get good adhesion, which is causing the crawling. I imagine the ash glaze takes forever to dry?

Marc commented on using liner glaze,  I have had this happen to me in the past.   I like the looks of liner glaze it gives the piece a higher quality look and the liner gives it a visual break that separates your inner space from the outward spacial design.    Denice

1 hour ago, Denice said:

Marc commented on using liner glaze,  I have had this happen to me in the past.   I like the looks of liner glaze it gives the piece a higher quality look and the liner gives it a visual break that separates your inner space from the outward spacial design.    Denice

Absolutely a different liner looks better in most instances. Its been so long since I even considered that as my stuff always has a different liner glaze

12 hours ago, Mark C. said:

Absolutely a different liner looks better in most instances. Its been so long since I even considered that as my stuff always has a different liner glaze

What are the characteristics of a liner glaze?  Does the term simply denote its position and function in the interior or are there certain qualities distinct from regular glazes?

22 minutes ago, Crooked Lawyer Potter said:

What are the characteristics of a liner glaze?  Does the term simply denote its position and function in the interior or are there certain qualities distinct from regular glazes?

https://digitalfire.com/glossary/liner+glaze  Liner Glaze
The term "liner glaze" refers to two things. First, it is a technique (links below), where the inside and outside of a piece have different glazes that meet at the rim. Second, it refers to the practice of choosing a glaze for the inside food surfaces of utilitarian ware based more on its durability and resistance to leaching, running, crawling, blistering and crazing (problems common with reactive glazes). Glossy whites, transparents or modestly colored glazes are most common as liners. Liner glazes can have other practical purposes also. An example is their use in  combination with intensely colored or variegated glazes, such are often runny and form a lake in the bottoms of vessels - this can lead to glaze compression failure.

A liner is a highly reliable unquestionably safe  glaze that goes on the interior of pottery, allowing artists to use more outlandish combinations on the exterior.

I must confess, I habitually overthink in my imagination of what clay and glazes do in firing. I’m strongly leaning towards what @PeterH, @Hulk, and @neilestricksaid about application and crawling bearing significance to your problem.