Seeking recommendations

Greetings, everyone. Firstly, I'd like to mention that I'm quite new to this, so I appreciate your understanding if my questions seem basic. I'm eager to delve into pottery as a hobby, especially creating items like plates, mugs, and ring holders during my ample free time. However, I currently lack access to a kiln. I'm seeking recommendations on this matter. I do have an oven, and I'm curious if it can be utilized for pottery. If so, I'd also appreciate guidance on which type of clay would be suitable for this purpose.

Hi HenryCalvin, Welcome to the Forum!

Ceramic clay is typically divided into categories by firing temperature.
The lowest firing clays (low fire, earthenware) require 1500°F or more, which glows orange red (very hot!).

Options for working at lower temperatures and/or no heat work required, I'm not familiar with.
While waiting on more feedback, look into "air dry" clay - there are several.
Here's an article discussing some of the options: The Best Air Dry Clays for Artists | Susie Benes

To get started I would enroll in a studio ceramic's  class,  this will give you the basic knowledge and you can decide if this is a area you want to pursue.   I decided to take a stone carving class,  after a solid day of chipping I decided I had enough of stone carving.    I  managed to finish my piece,  it made a nice door stop.     Denice

it is true, henry, that the appeal can wear off once a person starts actually working on something that has so many steps that cause serious frustration when something fails.    your oven, even on 'self clean' is nowhere near the amount of heat needed to go from clay to ceramic.   

i have introduced 2 people to making items to be used.   one decided she was not in love with making and should be spending money on acquiring beautiful pieces made by others.   the second realized that she hated handling wet clay and washed her hands several times before she left.  " looks like fun, but i hate the ooze."

trying  out something before commitment is a sensible way to go.   find someone whose work you admire and ask for a private session to see if it is worth pursuing.   you do not "do pottery"  you become a potter.

air dry clay is not clay and will never become ceramic or useful except to look at.

Edited by oldlady
add

5 hours ago, oldlady said:

you do not "do pottery"  you become a potter. 

Wow  . . . while I always explain to my students just how long I spent learning enough to begin life as a professional potter (9 years with classes, the least 3 yrs were 30+ hr weeks),  words are all you got to prepare them for likely the most difficult  'hands-on'  endeavor the student has ever attempted, and they rarely suffice.

While I can speak to folks who have learned to play a fine instrument, I can convey - to some degree - the difficulty of the task in front of them. I tell them to recall when "less noise" was a 'victory' and apply that rate of progress to the wheel . . . and that helps . . . but the difference is that every music student has been told many times - for multiple years - "how difficult" learning to play is.  So,  music students are 'prepared' for the inevitable early lack of music and prevalence of "noise".

Not so the average pottery student . . . "I've seen 'Ghost' (the movie) "You can't tell me pottery is hard to do" is a quote from a 30-something yr old man I know.

Nobody spends any great amount of time telling their children how difficult pottery is and how long it will take even if they work hard. It hurts "exceptionally competent" people's feelings to be so bad at anything . . . much less,  something "as simple as pottery must be."

I will from now on use these words,  

"you do not "do pottery"  you become a potter."

Thanks,  old lady !!

Edited by Clayshaper Jim
Corrections grammar, spelling

Nothing is more irritating than someone asking me if they spent several hours in my studio would I teach them how to make tile.    I have made thousands of tiles over the last  20 years and feel like I will never know everything about tiles.  I have been a potter since I was 11 years old and fell in love with clay.   I just turned 71 in October  getting ready to head out to my studio,  still a potter.  Denice

Even signingbup for a class can be expensive.

Go to a clay supplier, ask for a liw fired clay. Make stuff with it, lots of "how to" stuff on line, a lot not useful, a lot generated by very good potters. Then you will get some idea re your natural feel for the clay.

Simple safe kiln can be made fot backyard..check what's allowed re outside fires.  You dont have to fire your first pieces. Just wet down your pieces, wedge and use again!

Afterwhich, if smitten by the pottery bug, and within your means and time constraints, join a class.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks, clayshaper!

it is easier to teach new people that they are learning a skill and are not going to make a perfect product for many months.   instead, they are practicing just the way ice skaters do.   nobody puts on a pair of skates and begins throwing someone smaller around assuming will land on their feet and not break any bones.  looks easy on tv but would they want to be the thrown person?

no.