QotW: What are the steps you take after glaze firing with each finished piece?

Hi folks, I have been working in the studio of late finishing up some pieces for next years communion sets, and doing some cremation urns for relatives. One of the jobs always on the finished glaze ware is to handle them feeling for sharp spots, rough edges etc. I have come to always use a diamond disc now on the bottom of the pieces to make them super smooth. As my pieces now are mostly footed except for mugs, the bottoms are glazed with clean foot rings. I also break the foot ring line with 3 cuts from a 1" pipe so that water will drain in the dishwasher.  The final work on any pot is the feeling and the grinding! :rolleyes:

QotW: What are the steps you take after glaze firing with each finished piece?

best,

Pres

Unload, inspect, polish feet, wash, price, photograph, store/stack/deliver.

I inspect as part of the foot polishing step.
I try for a time when the natural light is good, and the weather allows rolling up the door for more sidelight. Good light really helps.
I pull the OptiVisor down for a close visual inspection, pick up and put down the ware several times, wave them about - checking heft, balance, feel - then flip up the OptiVisor and polish the foot.

The ware that doesn't make a-1 may go to the discount collection, our own kitchen, the to be drilled for planter queue, else smash and trash.

What he said (Hulk). Except I don't touch anything until the whole load has been spread out on my work table for a couple of days. I might go in and pet them, but no finishing-if any is needed-until I've spent a day or so getting over-oh, I hate that, or oh, that's not what I wanted, or any other form of oh, throw it out. Inevitably that is usually premature and even the uglies may be redeemed w/a refire. So I let it perk a bit until I can be more objective. As w/Hulk's dispatching of the not-A- work,  I do the same, and pitch most into the Meet Mr. Hammer bin.

What Hulk said as well! I photograph before pricing because now I make the price visible as opposed to putting it on the bottom. I used to think having the customer pick it up to see the price might help sell it, but why have them pick it up if they aren't gonna like the price anyway? I  would be interested in how everyone polishes the feet on their wares. I usually just be sure to smooth the feet before the bisque fire, but would like to refine that post glaze fire.

Rub the bottom of pieces as we unload them with rubbing stones. Feel them and look at them for flaws. The more we handle them the more we can find. Put like forms on tables. 

I grind any that need it during this unloading time. Brass wire wheel and flat forms that are made with 1/2 and 1/2 to smooth.

fill orders from the pots on table and put the rest in like forms boxes for later orders

If a show is involved I price and pack the boxes full and put in van 

Edited by Mark C.

I'm burnishing the foot ring at the trimming stage, which seems to help.
I'd read here (the Forum) about attaching (glue or somewhat) a diamond grit disc to a bat for polishing/smoothing ware at the wheel - works great!

One can easily use water to keep things cool, prevent marking, and manage the dust.
I give the foot a run straight on (flat), then round off the corner.

If/when the disc I bought wears out, I'd like to go with a bigger one - the six inch is adequate, however, there are times I'd prefer a larger diameter...

Edited by Hulk
disc, it's a disc!

My steps are much the same as others have mentioned, with one exception.

After soda firing all the wads have to come off. They mostly fall off easy, sometimes they need a little persuasion. The next step is to scrub any residue of wadding off using a Scotch Brite pad under running water. Only after that do I consider what has to be sanded or ground. That scrubby pad takes off a surprising amount of material and gets into little divots.

All feet get at least a once over with wet sandpaper (320 or 400 grit) so they wont scratch your great aunt's grand piano. 

12 hours ago, rox54 said:

I  would be interested in how everyone polishes the feet on their wares.

I run one of these over the bottoms / feet. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Monster-100-Grit-Diamond-Hand-Polishing-Pads-Block-Type-DHP0100/303097130 I've got one a flat lap diamond disk that I stick to the wheelhead with a batmate too but don't need to use it very often with the smooth clay that I use.

I use several types of rubbing stones -I have the 100 grit diamond pads like Min posted above from Tool city .com or Temu.com which has them for low cost

also like the pucks  from clay Planet

https://shop.clay-planet.com/the-puck-hand-grinding-stone.aspx

These are easy to hold as well although not as feather light as the diamaond pads which I take to shows

I also use the 3 block white stones from tile shops (youbreak them off ) as there are three in a long shape.

I do to much production to take pots to a spinning wheel so I never did that.

We rub the bottoms as we pull them out of kiln

Edited by Mark C.

Am guessing that most of you are selling your ware?  I sell a bit, but only the best, and there is always some non-best.  Still working out the glazes at this point--what can go over what, etc and not drip too much or even vacate the top of the cup altogether, eeek.  My husband put a sanding disc on a piece of wood, and i use that to smooth the bottoms of cups and bowls.  not perfect, but then I am not trying to make it all perfect.  I make some incense holders shaped like leaves for my sis in laws shop, and sometimes, the hole for the incense fills with glaze despite my best efforts, but we have a diamond drill bit that fixes that.  Same with the little mushroom incense holders.  Bowls don't seem to sell well, but the various coffee and tea cups do.  I am retired, so this is just a hobby.  Most of what I make goes to friends and family.  They are not too picky.

• Pres unpinned this topic