Masonite on plywood bats

Pyewackette

The studio manager showed me a bat he loves and has had for over 10 years that he loves because it has never warped and apparently is set to last forever.  He can't remember where he got them and would like to get more for the studio.  It looks to be some kind of coarse plywood sandwiched between 1/8" masonite, but given its longevity, perhaps some kind of "special" masonite.  I'm sure I've read about such bats on here before.  Does anybody recognize the material and have any idea where it can be sourced?

A good "BAT" discussion can be found at: 
How to Make Throwing Bats
https://www.vincepitelka.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/How-to-Make-Throwing-Bats.pdf    
an alternate to hard bats try the flexible ones: 
https://www.vincepitelka.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Throwing-on-Canvas-Bats-as-an-Alternative-to-Rigid-Bats.pdf   

I use both kinds depending on why, what, where, and when the "bat" is needed. 

LT

Edited by Magnolia Mud Research

+1 for MDO. Mine are going pretty strong 20 years later. 

I recommend the single sided 1/2” or thicker. I do have some double sided bats, but I like them less because they can slip off a bat patty, and the single sided is usually a little less expensive. If you’re using bat pins, the slippage isn’t an issue. 

Thanks to everyone for helping to solve this mystery.  I think he'll be glad to know.  He's been using these bats for years without ever knowing where they actually came from.  Big box lumber guys have apparently steered him wrong several times LOL!

As for me, a couple of days ago I finally found my long lost tools from 12 years ago and at least some of my bats.  Sadly only one of my Hydrobats though!  I can't remember if I had 3 or 4 of those but at least I found ONE LOL!  I got several different bats to see what I liked best and I liked the Hydrostone bats so well I never even tried the others.  There was a Duron/Masonite bat, a Wonderbat, a generic MDF bat, and a Hydrostone bat in that group.  The Hydrobat worked so well I immediately bought either 2 more for a total of 3 or 3 more for a total of 4.  There was a 3 in there somewhere!  :lol:

I love me some Hydrostone and I keep thinking I will buy more and then ... I remember the shipping.  Which is more than the bats LOL!  So I'm just getting some 12" Duron bats from Sheffield with the free shipping doncha know. In a few months I will be living an hour plus change from both Bailey's and Sheffield, and maybe some other pottery supply places in the area I'm not yet aware of.

Then I'll get me some more Hydrostone bats!  Woo hoo!  :lol:

Edited by Pyewackette

envy you moving near bailey, pye.   i have a lot of bats made of Duron, a double sided masonite.  i had a 4x8 sheet made into bats back in the 1990s.  still going strong.    i do not know the relationship of the business called masonite and the brand name Duron.  it seems to have changed.   there are still duron bats for sale but i do not like the holes.  one is round and the other is a slot.   i gave a bunch to mea, good elephant pottery several years ago, maybe she will chime in on durability.

Edited by oldlady

Medium-density overlay board (MDO) has a similar, smooth surface about 1 16 " thick on each face, bonded to a plywood core.

never used it but it looks good not to be confused with MDF

I throw on plaster 90% medex (Northstar sent me these free to try when they where testing them long ago) and blue plastic northstar bats and some formica bats homemade about 10%.(plates platter larger forms which I'm getting out of slowly)

I have some Masonite bats that I only use to dry forms on as they warp when wet so I keep them dry-not a Masonite bat fan

Tip of the day. You can now buy from cheaper crafts outlets(online)  those MDO circles precut-you just need to drill them

People send me stuff  via email and this was one of those things-I have never tried them but This person likes them. The idea is they are light and would be lighter than my paster. That said I love my paster as the bottoms dry at same speed as tops so production is fast. wiring off pots and filping they to dry is not a production tool for me. When My plaster gets to much I will consider it. I throw a lot of forms up to 80-100 a day on 6 inch small homemade plaster (mini pie tins are the form ) bats. They are 6 across on top and about 5 on bottom. I use them on wooden ware boards.With plaster we can process the pots all in same day-handles -trimming -everything. Plaster is what makes this work. Its works when I'm working on other forms no need to flip any forms to dry bottom. Its like rust it never sleeps

Woodpecker crafts-looks to be in Florida-free shipping over $75-goggle discount code and you may save more

They make these in all sizes  3-7-9-12 and larger and they are pretty cheap especailly if you by some (not one).You need to mouse around the site to see what other sizes and thinkness they sell. If you finished them with something they would last a long time

https://woodpeckerscrafts.com/7-circle-wooden-cutout-1-4-thick/?_ga=2.61608876.1219828974.1678153090-1016357538.1678153090&_gac=1.94678766.1678153121.CjwKCAiAu5agBhBzEiwAdiR5tK7lqRyZj4fTw-oCLdl9mfwPoGiAC9QebcySGbjSJw-9e9l2a7EFWhoCBXMQAvD_BwE

The bigger question is how the woodpeckers make them round?? May be a good question of the week?

Edited by Mark C.

4 hours ago, Mark C. said:

They make these in all sizes  3-7-9-12 and larger and they are pretty cheap especailly if you by some (not one).You need to mouse around the site to see what other sizes and thinkness they sell. If you finished them with something they would last a long time

https://woodpeckerscrafts.com/7-circle-wooden-cutout-1-4-thick/?_ga=2.61608876.1219828974.1678153090-1016357538.1678153090&_gac=1.94678766.1678153121.CjwKCAiAu5agBhBzEiwAdiR5tK7lqRyZj4fTw-oCLdl9mfwPoGiAC9QebcySGbjSJw-9e9l2a7EFWhoCBXMQAvD_BwE

Those appear to be pre cut birch plywood circles. Have you used birch?

Edited by Bill Kielb

20 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

Those appear to be pre cut birch plywood circles. Have you used birch?

(People send me stuff  via email and this was one of those things-I have never tried them but This person likes them. The idea is they are light and would be lighter than my paster.)

No bill But I did suggest coating them with finish if one uses them. 

Edited by Mark C.