QotW: What do you consider to be a second? Do you sell these seconds, and if so where?

Once again, from the Question pool for the QotW @Min asked:QOTW would be "do you sell seconds and if so where?" First part of the question would be to define what you consider a second. 

I will rephrase this as: QotW: What do you consider to be a second? Do you sell these seconds, and if so where?

This is a tough one, and my memory is not as good as it could be with these things since it has been a long time since I have sold much of anything other than the chalices and patens. These days, if a piece has anything in the way of a visible crack, or glaze flaw, it either gets broken, or goes to my wife or kids. If the piece is really a disaster it gets broken and thrown out. However, these days I check things over so carefully on every stage of firing that nothing makes it to a bisque if questionable, or after bisque if there are flaws it never goes to glaze. After glaze, the pots get handled a lot during bottom grinding, and wrapping for shipping. If I have any reports of flaws coming back, the piece is replaced no charge to the customer. Verification is required by photo.

I do sell 2nds; pots that have tiny flaws that in no way effect the use of the pots. Things like slightly out of round pots (that are meant to be round) or glazing that isn't quite what I wanted. Definitely no cracks or chips. During summer Farmer's Markets I will put out a basket of clearance or 2nd best pots. This basket of pots isn't on a main table, it's off to the side on a small stool so not too obtrusive. Just about everyone asks why a pot is in my clearance / 2nd best basket, it's usually hard to spot why they are there. Hammer for anything I wouldn't want coming back and biting me. 

Thanks for posting my question Pres.

I recently scored 4 lovely small dishes by Maureen Mills, in her very distinctive surface decoration "signature" designs, sold as "seconds" (due to things that no one not familiar with the intracacies of ceramics would ever notice, much less care about), for a delightful fraction of what "perfection" would cost. As the purchaser, it is great to be able to "afford"  someone's work that I would not be able to justify buying, within my tightly controlled budget! 

I’ll sell seconds, but only in person so that there’s full disclosure and people can make informed decisions. Second criteria is anything that’s got cosmetic issues, but does not interfere with use, is structural, or that could possibly scratch a human or any of their belongings even slightly.  

A variant of this: my studio is filled with a few porcelain pots, but its packed full with plaster forms on their way to becoming plaster casting molds. Most people, even other clay people, can't distinguish between a porcelain pot and a plaster form. (Especially now that I'm using matte glazes.) Visitors to my studio regularley express an interest in buying my plaster forms. When I explain that it is part of the mold making process they usually say, "I don't care, can I buy it." 

I'd been recycling pieces that don't make seconds criteria as planters - drill a hole, fill with sand and potting soil mixture, add a succulent cutting, then wait.
Once the cutting has started to root, it's ready to go. I've sold some, but mostly given them away or donated them to a local nursery operation.
I'll keep doing this but will either hide them or drill them right away, for folks have been nipping them off the garden bench!

To make it as a second, the pot has to look and feel "right," have no cracks or crazes, no crawling on the food surfaces.
The flaws that demote ware to second have minor imperfections, like a tiny crawl or pinhole on the outside, near the foot, not on the top half; slightly out of round; pieces that haven't sold; small scratches...

Seconds out of my Studio only, I've stopped hauling them anywhere since building some inventory, as it doesn't seem worth it.
When I point out the flaw, folks usually scoff, or can't see it (many of us don't see as well as we used to!). I've yet to experience anyone being put off by a second's flaw!
Maybe that's good.

added: if not worthy of repurposing as a planter, hammer

Edited by Hulk
"3rds"

• Pres unpinned this topic
On 1/6/2023 at 3:31 PM, Min said:

It's a bit of a weird feeling when a customer almost apologies for buying a second, saying something along the lines of they prefer 2nds as they have more character. 

I think Pres is right from a technical standpoint, the same way a guitar player can hear the flaws in a pink floyd solo, but no one that does not play would ever even hear it, and many people tell me they prefer flaws in pottery because it shows the maker's mark and is truly one of a kind.

I have started leaving some little scuffs and marks in my greenware for this reason, before I would sponge them all smooth.