Personalizing glazed ornaments

I'm getting ready for a christmas holiday show in October.  I've heard of artists "personalizing" ornaments in their booth.  What medium would you use for writing/painting on glazed pottery that would be permanent?

thank you

Christy

Good question!
Glaze is glass (pretty much), hence, try searching "permanent marking on glass" (or somewhat like); I'm looking at arromark site just now. They claim their PM-92 marker lasts outdoors for ten years, writes on glass, etc. Check them out? There are fifteen stock colors.

Define permanent. You aren’t running a Christmas ornament through the dishwasher, so the standards for this could be a little lower than what we normally consider durable and still last a really long time.

Etching cream and a stencil comes to mind, but that’s got some ventilation issues if you’re indoors, and in a small booth, safety could also be an issue. 

Perhaps with an engraver if you’ve got good lettering skills.

Some of it depends on what’s meant by customization too. An initial is different than an image.

Maybe it's just me but this isn't something I would be doing during a sale. It can get super hectic/busy during a sale, unless you have someone besides yourself that could do this, or have the customer do it themselves, without taking your time away from your booth I'ld be hesitant to do this. 

Personalizing items takes time .I knew a Gal that made ornaments for xmas and personalized them-had a long line of customers and she wrote whatever on them (they where not ceramic)

I like Mins idea-put some pens out for them to write whatever-keep the crowd moving

5 hours ago, Min said:

Maybe it's just me but this isn't something I would be doing during a sale. It can get super hectic/busy during a sale, unless you have someone besides yourself that could do this, or have the customer do it themselves, without taking your time away from your booth I'ld be hesitant to do this. 

That's exactly what I was thinking.  Anytime I did that, it was simple.  I wrote the date and the name on it.  And that was when I had help in my booth.  Usually I just don't have time to do it.  

I can't imagine doing this in a booth/heavy traffic--but I do know that Arro-Mark's "Mighty Markers" are terrific on glaze and do last even outside the weather.  I used them on my herb markers before I got stamps. 

Archived