I professional potter (one who has been throwing for decades) can throw 20-30 mugs an hour . Prep included -clay cutting- ware boards and bats. No handles just mug bodies. Bowls are faster 1 every 2 minutes 

Most throwers with less time at it will be far less than 20 an hour. Also once you only throw one form you get better pretty fast.Finding piece work throwers is pretty hard in itself.

I’m on the slower end of what Mark mentions, because I can’t get the prep done in that same hour. For mugs, I weigh out clay, but I don’t mess around with wedging for small amounts like that. My slower timing  likely has more to do with my transitions between tasks than the actual making. According to video footage I’ve taken for social media, I can do a 1 lb mug in about 2 1/2 minutes from smack down to cutoff. I don’t do bats for mugs, just a long ware board that holds 23. 

If the clay is ready to go, simple mugs, I could do 35-40 an hour. Trimming those  with a nice foot would be about 30-35 an hour. If I was doing production work like that I would expect to get paid by the piece, not by the hour. For other studio work, those tasks that aren't directly working with the pots- mixing glazes, loading kilns, etc.- an hourly rate may be more appropriate, unless the employee is responsible for the entire process and you can figure a fair per-piece price for completed pots that includes all the secondary tasks.

I would ask myself what I would need to be paid, at a minimum, to throw mug after mug after mug, including maintaining consistency and any associated prep that is bundled into the job. Don't offer anyone less that what you would do it for, if you were hiring yourself out for that type of work. 

In the day, repetitive mugs 25-30 with clay prepped. Now days 10-15 an hr. stamped,  or faceted in various manners. Your $20 an hr. for straight mugs is a pretty good figure as it would match up to 10 mugs per hr. Realizing that a thrower in the first hour is not nearly as fast as in the second or third hour.

best,

Pres

Found this a.m. i can throw 18 mugs and a couple of jugs in a second!!!

Carrying a board of 18 mugs and 2 jugs to finalise drying before kilning, one wobbled.. were upside down and handle a tad over the lip, went to rescue wobbler...yip whole boardful bit the dust.

Murphy and reflexes working well.last bunch before the break.

Figures really.

1 hour ago, Babs said:

Found this a.m. i can throw 18 mugs and a couple of jugs in a second!!!

Carrying a board of 18 mugs and 2 jugs to finalise drying before kilning, one wobbled.. were upside down and handle a tad over the lip, went to rescue wobbler...yip whole boardful bit the dust.

Murphy and reflexes working well.last bunch before the break.

Figures really.

Oh shoot Babs, sorry to hear this, not good. 
Just when things are chugging along smoothly Murphy decides to show up.

Archived