"What studio habits/practices do you remain committed to that most other potters do not practice?"

@Hulk posed a question yesterday in the question pool that I think would be a QotW that has already had comments from @oldlady.  He asks

"What studio habits/practices do you remain committed to that most other potters do not practice?"

He also follows up his question by stating. . . 

For example, I wipe out the wheel's pan after each session, and start each session with fresh water in the bucket (freshish - I pour off the mostly clear, wash the sludge out to reclaim, pour back the mostly clear, then top it up). 

It is really nice to have a statement that helps to explain what the question was about to the person posing it. 

best,

Pres 

I use a water catchment system that takes clay water outside to setteling tubs-then goes to plants

I use a whole/studio vacuums system locateded outside for dust control.

I never clean up my throwing wheel much (Why bother) I keep the  other wheels clean .Use a deacated glaze area which is ready to go always

Use 100% advancer shelves in gas kilns

I am sure I have the same habits other potters have but I do use my slab roller a lot.   Whenever I have a nice  warm day with very little wind I will take my canvas for red clay and the one for white out side to hose down on the driveway.   I leave the canvas out in the sun to dry and them roll them up .   This method keeps them nice and flat with no wrinkles.    Denice

Compared to a lot of the older potters or people I was taught by, I have a freakishly clean studio. I don’t deal well or think clearly when I’m surrounded by visual clutter.

I also start the day by siphoning off the settled water from yesterday’s work, dumping the sludge into the reclaim and getting fresh water. At the end, I always sponge out my splash pan and wipe off all my tools and put them away. This way all the fines get into the reclaim, which I also do, despite it being “inefficient.” Starting to farm the reclaim out to the 12 year old though, because he wants some walking around money.

I am in the (try to be) super clean camp. I can't stand to have clay-coated tools, dried glaze wash in cups, crud in the throwing pan, grit on the workbench, residue on molds, dirty cloths, muddy sponges, supplies not put back where they belong (i.e. the one place where I know where to find them, given increasing memory deficits), clay dust on the floor (or windows, shelves etc.). So I make myself clean the same day after work, or the next day before work (or both as needed). It's just not worth it to me to let it go--even a few days build up drives me nuts and provokes me to avoid the studio.    

Speaking of cleaning, I tossed a mostly empty bucket of red clay slip in the garbage about a month ago. There was about 500mls left, sloppy but not super wet. Was out for the day then around dinner time there was a knock on the door. By-law enforcement officer with his pad out and a ticket written up for $250-  He said "I think you know why I'm here." Nope. Pulls out his phone and shows a photo of the white garbage truck with 2 red egg sized splotches down the side of the truck. He said the garbage truck driver stopped doing his collection, called by-laws and sat there until they showed up then took a picture of my garbage can and the truck. Explained to him it was red clay. Didn't believe me and said the garbage man said it was red paint. I went with a flashlight out to the garbage can and showed him a bit of the clay that was on the rim of the garbage can. Must have pulled his ticket pad out around 10 times during all this. Got a stern lecture about throwing red clay in the garbage. I asked him what was I supposed to do with it to which he said put it in the green waste bin. Didn't care for it when I asked if that would have stopped it dripping on the truck. 

I'm also:

recycling clay (adding some of Nerd's reclaim mix), which isn't particularly rare - it all goes in there, excepting what's been on the floor

retaining and recycling glaze dribs, drabs, etc. - first batch came out grayish blue, and behaves well enough that I've started on next batch

sharpening trimming tools - the bladed ones, which I've been making from hack saw blades

turning clockwise - the wheels I started on have reversing switches, hence, I tried both ways; clockwise is easier for me

You can't throw out your clay slop on the ground?   I keep my clay and glaze slop separate,   I dump the heavy clay slop at the edge of my road and a ditch.   I find areas where the dirt is washing away from the side of the road and fill them.    So far the road isn't cracking and sliding into the ditch where I have been filling it with clay,  the rest of my street is.  I dry my glaze slop and take it to the hazardous waste facility.     Denice

• Pres unpinned this topic

I would think twice about red mud being tracked through the house,  the plain old mud my dog drags in on his big  feet is bad enough.  I throw the clay across the street,  the ditch is in a flood plain area.   Our back yard is fenced in to keep the dog from wandering away or getting hit by a car.    I can't believe that a garbage man would call the police without even running his finger across the red spot.   I would switch garbage companies,   I switched once because the recycle man would cuss and holler the whole time he was in the neighborhood.   I would have my windows open in my studio and could here him sorting and cussing at each house.   I finally decided after several months of it I shouldn't have to  tolerate it,  when I change companies they also changed his route.  Denice