First Studio Equipment Suggestions

Jchern010

Hello all!

I’ve been reading up on some of the posts already made here on wheel/kiln suggestions; however, I’m curious about recent suggestions or any significant problems found with particular brands (both kilns and wheels)

A little background: I was heavily into ceramics in high school and college, but have been out of a practice for a few years. Recently, my husband has been really supportive of investing in a home studio. A.) I live in a rural area in Oregon that does not have a public studio and B.) I finally have the means to make a home studio, which is always more convenient (especially during a pandemic). I have a shop which will hold my kiln and then I will have my work studio inside my home. 

After reading many of the posts on here and doing some research, I’ve been very interested in either TS/Skutt, Bailey, or Brent wheels. While I’ll need some time to get back into the groove of things, I’m looking for quality equipment that I can grow into - at least for the next 10 years. I’m intrigued by wheels with built-in splash pans, but I do have a few questions about them: 1.) I know they are larger. I’m 5 3” and concerned that it might not be as comfortable if I have to reach farther. 2.) There are two types of Skutt models with removable/non-removable pans - are there any benefits on either type that I should consider? (It might seem silly, but I prefer how the built-in models look over the removable - but its certainly not a major component). 3.) What are some major differences between Skutt and Bailey wheels from someone who has thrown on both? 4.) and has anyone had any significant issues with either brand that I should consider? I know Brent wheels are quality, and while they’re still in the running (Model C), they’re probably my 3rd choice at the moment. 

Now to the more confusing area. Kilns. I’ve never had to independently fire kilns without some backup (other students or instructors), so choosing and owning a kiln is more intimidating. I’ve been looking on Craigslist and FB Marketplace but I think the pandemic might have increased interest in home studios, so there are fewer kilns coming onto the used market that are staying very long (at least working ones). I know Skutt is in Oregon, but I live approximately four hours from Portland, which doesn’t really put me close enough to benefit from the proximity. I’m looking at L&L, Skutt, or possibly Olympic top-loading kilns. At first I was looking at Skutt 818-3, but I don’t think that will be large enough in the future. Does anyone have any specific recommendations? Second, since I’m putting my kiln in a shop (which doesn’t have heat/air, but I live on the coast and have pretty mild weather) what type of ventilation do you suggest? 

Any other recommendations or tips for someone creating their first studio is very welcome! Thanks in advance - I look forward to your suggestions 

- Julia

anticipation!   you are going to have fun setting up a new studio.  and then more fun using it.  congratulations!

question, what size is the shop you plan to use for the kiln?  is it already wired with 240?    lots more description of it would be helpful to the kiln gurus.

i know everyone talks about cubic feet these days in referring to kiln size but i think it is easier to visualize and plan a space when you deal in length, witdth and height.   i always think of the 50 acre property for sale that turns out unbuildable because it is an old railroad track and only 15 feet wide.  

i like my L&L which other people think is old but it was new in 2003 and still looks it except for the band around the top which has firing stains.    i have used the bailey wheel with the built in splash pan but only as a demo at NCECA.  i dislike brent because of their noise.   my wheel is not on your list.  bailey sometimes offers free shipping. might make a difference to you.

there is an old, very old thread here showing photos of various studio situations.  might help with suggestions.

have fun.

@oldlady There are two options in the shop, but the room I’d like to put it in are 6 ft x 12ft (approx.) and not sure about it already being wired, but my husband said we will get it figured out (he’s pretty handy).  I’ve also been going back and forth about kiln dimensions because I’m only 5 3” and know that it could be more challenging to load with a taller, narrower space. What kind of wheel do you have?

I used a Shimpo RK-Whisper in high school, but I also wasn’t even close to throwing large - which I won’t be at first, but I want the option to in the future - and I’ve heard they have less torque? 

Thanks so much for your response and encouragement :)

I prefer the built in splash pan on the Skutt wheels. It's heavier and more solid than the removeable. The 1/3hp model will be sufficient for just about anything you do unless you center really big pieces of clay, like over 25 pounds at a time. If you get the built in pan, get the shaft extension so you can use big bats. You can fit a 15" bat without the extension. I've never used a Bailey wheel, but I own 11 Skutt wheels and love them. I will say I haven't really ever heard anything bad about the Bailey wheels, though. Skutt wheels have the most torque, a lot more than a Shimpo Whisper.

Get the kiln you'll need in 5 years, not the kiln you need now. Do no get an 18" wide kiln. You can barely fit a dinner plate, can't fit a serving bowl, and there's a lot more wasted space in narrow diameters. Get a least a 23" wide kiln, and consider a 28" wide by 18" tall model if you don't make really tall things. I make fat 12 pound lidded jars and they'll fit in an 18" tall kiln just fine. Due to your height, you'll want to stick with an 18" tall or 22" tall model.

Sounds like you're going about this the right way, thinking about the future. Your wheel and kiln should both last 30 years with proper care, so invest well now.

2 hours ago, Jchern010 said:

What are some major differences between Skutt and Bailey wheels from someone who has thrown on both?

I have both a Bailey and an older Thomas Stuart (now made by Skutt). There’s very little difference. The Bailey is quieter, and I love the gate in the built-in splashpan that allows me to push trimmings out into a bucket. The TS is much heavier and feels a lot more solid. I haven’t had problems with either. 

I recently asked myself which one I would sell if I was downsizing to one wheel? I couldn’t decide. 

If we were designing and planning your space architecturally we would anticipate something like this:

• lighting 200 w
  • convenience receptacles 2400 w
  • exhaust fan 1000 w
  • kiln  12000 w

actually we would put in 1800 w for a lighting circuit, but with LED’s and a small space 200w  is likely plenty.. So if I add that up  it is close to 65 Amps at 240 volts so we would likely call for a small 100 amp subpanel (Maybe 8-12 openings and a 70 amp main breaker). My point is this is a huge ask for a home service so planning and anticipation will likely save you some heartache.

So looking at the list above, the kiln likely be in the area of 10000 w to 12000w which is realistically 40-50 amps at 240 v., you will need 1to 3 receptacles (all GFI please) which can go on our single planned  circuit and a downdraft exhaust is less than a hood exhaust if you can get away with not removing most of the kiln heat during firing so maybe 500 w savings there.

The numbers above would likely work fine for a space double the size as well but the word of caution  here is put in more capacity if possible. Folks often forget the heat gun they will use on occasion and the small microwave that ends up in the studio along with a bunch of other electrical loads. (Small fridge / single cup coffee maker anyone?)

The suggestion: make a realistic list, don’t skimp and if possible your handy husband can plan for what may end up as a significant electrical job. Electricians size things like this everyday, potters know 1% voltage drop is a much better design criteria than the typical electricians 3% because it affects how many firings you can get on a set of elements.

It’s very difficult to know all this stuff, so the advice to consider: reasonably oversize your electrical panel requirements, reasonably oversize any main wiring that runs any sort of distance to the house underground or overhead. Use copper everywhere, not aluminum, use commercial rated enclosures, pipe and wire per code in your area.

Not to discourage, hopefully this gives you some sense of the electric needs  and reasonable urgency to plan for. Any plan written out on paper is far better than no plan and should save some future headaches. If you have only the kiln, exhaust and a light in the shop and nothing else it will save you on some of the wiring to the shop but still size accordingly.

with respect for wheels folks all seem to like the various models you mentioned, I prefer the Bailey system with drain and gate and the ability to keep your throwing water inside the pan. Shimpo  whisper is a great wheel and quiet but does not have the reputation for throwing extra large stuff. For kilns, I would not dismiss Cone art or Bailey for that matter (same kiln) they are one of the few that have additional insulation which truly saves some electric.

Hi Julia!

Hope your shopping and setup goes well.

I also have a Skutt wheel with built in pan, and like it very much - doesn't seem like there's more reach required, however, might be worthwhile for you to sit, rest your arms on the pan edge, rev that foot pedal and see/hear/feel? ...a trip to a dealer that carries (some of) your choices might help. Yep, I like the built in pan just fine, although some really prefer being able to lift, carry, dump, rinse out, etc. a removable. The one concern that jumps out at me is how careful one must be to not (ever!) catch a hand or arm in between the moving wheel and the pan. Likely  doing same with a plastic pan wouldn't feel good either, but plastic has some give...

For your kiln, I'll suggest including direct kiln venting in your requirements - the small stream of fresh air helps both bisque and glaze firing. As for exhausting heat and any escaping fumes from the area, unless you can open the room up and stay out of it whilst firing, add an overhead venting system and plan for adequate make up air as well. If your venting system doubles up for dust handing at your glaze mixing station, so much the better.

https://digitalfire.com/glossary/kiln+venting+system

Doing your wiring once, per Bill's advice, good plan!

Consider  your work flow (even though very likely there will be changes), e.g. counter space, shelving, modular ware board rack(s), material storage, tool organization, clean up...

Keep your eye out for a commercial mop bucket rig!

see?  the experts have started to get into your situation, just as you hoped.   my wheelis a pacifica, bought in 1972.  i do not make very large things anymore,  the largest around is 13 inch diameter and 6 1/2 deep.  it was used for mashed potatoes on thanksgiving.   pacifica's ownership has changed so i do not know anything about new ones.

you can have a kiln built for your size if you plan to purchase new.  neil knows all about that.

the sun is shining and i am going outside to spray the last glaze load of the year.

A couple thoughts from another vertically challenged person (you're taller than me Julia).

My current kilns are approx 38" tall with the lid open, I can't comfortably reach to load the bottom without standing on a stool. This isn't a big deal for loading pots, I keep a folding white step stool in my kiln shed. It is hard on my back loading the lower shelves since I have a fair bit of bending I have to do to get the bottom couple shelves in. I use full shelves, if you are okay with using 1/2 shelves this might not be an issue. If I was starting over I would either get shorter kilns or buy advancer shelves for the bottom 2 shelves of the kiln. 

I throw standing up, I now use a Bailey with the removable pan and have no problem with the reach but I stand right up close to the pan at the front. 

10x14 space in a former bedroom. Measure, measure, measure-plan, plan, plan-take pics & a tape measure when you go looking for items. My best find was the tall wire storage rack (behind the black low set of drawers in the middle pic) that I found discarded behind a gas station. The kiln is a wonderful L&L 23S EZ Fire. It's on cement board on the back porch, vented to the outside. The electric was not as costly as I feared-got a local independent guy who like the idea of wiring something "different" for a change! Have fun, but plan/measure and keep your receipts! And get wheels on as many things as possible. 

20200105_121542.jpg

20200105_123152.jpg

DSC00759.jpg

hey congrad. Couple of thoughts to add to all the great advice.

Wheels, I am hard of hearing so love the Shimpo whispers we have,  very quiet and work great. Have been some complaints here on torque on higher weights but we dont throw huge pots and have never noticed a problem. I've used Brent, Shimpo and a clayboss for 6 months. 

kiln, We have a 9cf oval and a skutt 1027. I think the  7cf 1027 is the most popular small studio kiln. Love the way skutt is built. The round kilns though make large platters a challenge so if you are going to do platters you might look at what size and consider that. Going big might sound smart for future but I would think it through. For instance the  7cf holds about 50 or so larger mugs and the oval closer to 70 so if you throw mostly small things on a regular basis then as a hobbist it will take some time to build a load for firing. Like Neil pointed out the 18" round kilns make some pots a challenge but most of the brands make a two ring shorter 23" that is smaller. It prob comes down to if you don't mind just firing every few months. I would put in a kiln vent. The shop will get very very hot so think about that with the stuff sitting out and consider backer board on the walls if its near any. Ours are in the studio so I always make sure all clay stuff is covered except bone dry and we fire overnight. One of the web cams will make your life easier for checking you kiln from your phone. I check the firing every few hours just because.

We got a de-airing pugmill mixer from the start and it has been fantastic. If its been a while since you have thrown it will be very liberating to just toss pieces at first in recycle without any thought on the work to get it back to throwing shape and as you go it will save a lot of time when you get some hard clay. We throw from the pugger without wedging so saves your wrist too. We have a peter pogger 9.

our slab roller is a shimpo and is a table model. Also own a small counter top one but its more of a hassle to use. Very convient to just toss a pug down, I dial it down as I repeatly run it through and have a slab in just a moment or two ready to work with.

We have a couple wall mount extruders one is round and one is square. Lots of cool possibilties and we extrude all handles. Great compression and never have any cracks. 

Also have a recirculating sink and I will say that I took it to storage to make some room when we moved our studio to a new place with convient water for buckets. But when We had a studio a hundred feet from water we used that a lot. A little pricy but it really is as good as running water for a clay studio.

We have a few rolling bakers carts with plastic zip covers. Use 3/4 ply as shelves. Work great and can slow drying down when you want. 

I woul'nt get too hung up on brands as long as its from a legit pottery supply house and not Amazon. Clay king, Sheffield, Baileys, The Ceramic shop are all legit. Dick Blick is great. The studio equipment by the major brand is built so well that most of these option will be fine. I find people mostly rave about the stuff they bought. When you drop 12-1500 for a pottery wheel you want to feel like its the best.

have fun, try not to over spend. An old kiln and wheel, rolling pin and expired credit card for throwing tool will make great pots. We spend the dough just to make it easier.

Archived