Help with mug/cup rims (lips)

never thought about this very much before but I am doing something wrong with the lips/rims, of my mugs. They just don't feel right, I've tried thick, thin, tilted in, out and straight in line with the side of the mug. All I have left is to use a straw.  Help

please!!  

Graybeard

Find or buy a mug that you really like to drink coffee from and then study it and learn what makes it a pleasure to drink from.   I  was having the same problem  so I went to a favorite restaurant for drinking  coffee.   I asked if I could buy one of their coffee mugs  and they told me I couldn't but they let me take a photo and draw a outline of the mug.  The restaurant had them specially made by a potter and didn't have any to spare.  My mugs don't look anything like them but they have the same comfortable lip.   Denice

It took me a long time to make 6 mugs at once that I really like all 6 of them.  I find mugs to be difficult because of the ergonomic issues.  It must feel right to the hand, the lip, right size,  right weight.  Proper glaze, balanced look.  Kitchen ware isn't my main thing, so I didn't work at it all that diligently, but I can tell you all my friends have bad mugs.  Denise's advise is how I went about it.  I have 3 mugs from the same full time pro potter that I use every day.  Perfect for me, but all 3 have rim chips and discoloration inside.  Plus I have mugs from a dozen or so other potters I don't care to emulate.  Make lots of mugs and be hyper critical about them.  Have lots of friends and family.

I wouldn't make anything deliberately that I didn't like hoping someone else would.

Keep the lip straight or slightly flared. Turned inward is uncomfortable, too much flare and it'll dribble out the sides of your mouth. Keep the lip pretty thin. Not so thin as to be  super breakable, but if it's too thick it feels bulky on your mouth. Even just thinning out the very edge will work. Also make sure the lip is nice and rounded, no flat edge or corners. Use a chamois or piece of plastic bag to round and smooth it. The diameter of the mug will also affect how it feels. Too narrow and the lip hits your nose. Too wide and it's like drinking out of a bowl.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived