manganese oxide

celica

Iron oxide, is one of the best and cheapest wash materials out there. You may want to mix up a wash using 25% OM4, 25% Nepheline Syenite, and 50% of iron, cobalt, copper, chromium, rutile, or manganese. I will often play around with combinations to use to get a wider range of color. These can also be used over glaze as a calligraphic brushing material. AS always testing is needed to determine consistency, I usually mix mine to thin no fat milk.

best,

Pres

2 hours ago, Sorcery said:

You may also have an allergy to one over another. Which could mean gloves or no gloves. I hate gloves! 

Sorce

Everyone who works for that company should be required to say it that way.  Maybe even get Dr Evil to record the auto greeting.  Choice.

On 8/1/2020 at 10:57 AM, Sorcery said:

You may also have an allergy to one over another. Which could mean gloves or no gloves. I hate gloves! 

In my college course, I heard how a well known ceramicist died of manganese poisoning.  Not long after, I wanted to use some manganese as a stain.  I used the plastic gloves provided when applying removing the stain.  After I was done, I took the gloves off and found parts of my hands coated in the watered down manganese stain.  The gloves were apparently not the best quality...

@Benzine, it's the inhalation of fumes thats the real health risk with manganese. Inorganic manganese isn't absorbed through the skin. (I'm not advocating not wearing gloves while working with chemicals.)

Here and here are a couple links with safety info re potential health effects.

17 hours ago, Min said:

@Benzine, it's the inhalation of fumes thats the real health risk with manganese. Inorganic manganese isn't absorbed through the skin. (I'm not advocating not wearing gloves while working with chemicals.)

Here and here are a couple links with safety info re potential health effects.

I wasn't terribly worried, especially since it was a limited, one time exposure.  I just found the timing of me hearing the story and myself getting some on me, to be a fun coincidence.

Archived