Bisque at cone 10, but glaze at cone 6?

Hello,

I recently bought some OH10 (they were out of OH6) and was told I could just fire at cone 6 and everything would be fine. Then I was told the pieces wouldn’t vitrify and would be too porous for use (mugs and bowls). 

The studio will bisque the OH10 for me and asked if I have my own cone 10 glazes. 

The question is, can I fire my cone 6 glazes on the cone 10 bisqued pieces?

Thank you for the help!

Josh

Since the cone 10 clay will still be porous, the glazes might not come out the same.

It's worth testing.

If you have any oh6 reclaim it could help to mix em.

I've been mixing 6's and 10's for vitreous stuff around 7 and 8 and it's been alright. Some bloating if too much 6 and too high heat. 

Sorce

46 minutes ago, Brightwater said:

Hello,

I recently bought some OH10 (they were out of OH6) and was told I could just fire at cone 6 and everything would be fine. Then I was told the pieces wouldn’t vitrify and would be too porous for use (mugs and bowls). 

The studio will bisque the OH10 for me and asked if I have my own cone 10 glazes. 

The question is, can I fire my cone 6 glazes on the cone 10 bisqued pieces?

Thank you for the help!

Josh

If you bisque fire cone ten clay to cone ten it’s gonna be hard to glaze Because it will be fully fired and not very porous. So I think you are asking if they bisque to 04, you glaze them with your cone 6 glazes and then fire them to cone six is that all doable. Although not a good practice for lots of reasons, they have a fair chance of being reasonably drip free if your glaze is defect free, As I said there are many reasons this does not work well from less sturdy ware to issues in the microwave.

Always try and match your clay and glazes to make matters easier. Given the choice always fire your clay to maturity to make it as strong and non porous as practical.  In this case, it means getting cone ten glazes.

If you bisque to cone 10, the clay will be fully vitrified and not at all porous. It will be very difficult to glaze the pots, and the glazes may not work properly. Dipped glazes will be pretty much impossible to apply. Brushed glazes would be possible, but still very difficult since the clay won't absorb the water in the glaze as you apply them. Even if you do manage to get a good glaze application, it could crawl or shiver or do any number of things in the firing.

Its all a bad idea

clay is cheap -go buy the right clay (cone 5-6) and start over

pots are not precious especially in the green state 

Yes you can do it but the glaze fit and weeping and fitting right and vitracation is all screwed up why bother

Think of it like buying tires-they where out of my size so I bought some smaller ones can I cut them so they fit my rims? how much air pressure will they hold -can I drive at freeway speeds on them-well the answer is maybe but then again would it not be better to go get the right size tires ????

This question comes up over and over again  here and the best answer is start over.

all other options are less than  optimum results 

Archived