Rinse greenware before firing??

I am a self-taught hobbyist and there are a lot of weird gaps in my knowledge.  Are you supposed to rinse greenware to get rid of any dust before firing?  If yes, how do you do it?  Quick run under a faucet?  Wipe with damp or wet cloth???? thanks for any help :)

Hi dAO!

I blow off green ware with compressed air - carefully (very), outside, with my back to the wind, respirator on. That said, I haven't been very concerned with dust on green ware. Bisque ware gets a thorough blast of compressed air, a wipe with a damp sponge, then some time to dry before glazing.

Seems this gap may include the difference between greenware and bisque?

I blow off greenware and always thought "dust" was a myth until I left stuff sit longer than 2 weeks. Can't say it's effected anything though.

Sorce

I never clean off greenware, other than touching up some rough spots or marks, with a damp sponge. 

If you are going to apply an underglaze to the greenware, giving it a good wipe down might be a good idea.  The same is true if you are single firing, and applying a glaze to a raw clay body.  This will just remove anything that could cause the glaze or underglaze to not stick. 

When it comes to glazing bisqueware, I give everything a good rinse under a faucet, for the same reason, I mentioned above.  I also make sure that I wash my hands before handing the cleaned bisqueware.  I do this, so I'm not getting the naturally occurring oils from my hands on the ceramic, which can resist the glazes.  I also don't use lotion or anything of the like when I'm glazing.  This can get a bit annoying, because while I'm glazing a bunch of wares, I am usually rinsing my hands a lot, which means my hands are getting dry. 

1 hour ago, Sorcery said:

Seems this gap may include the difference between greenware and bisque?

Sorce

I believe I know the difference, thanks, @Sorcery.  Perhaps I should have said dust greenware before BISQUE firing.

To rinse off bisque ware is a very individual decision, I don't think it's a yes or no decision. How porous the pots are, how thick the walls are, brushing versus dipping versus spraying glaze, specific gravity of the glaze etc. If I rinse my pots off it would be a couple days before they are dry enough to glaze,  for me if I think they need it I just wipe them down with a damp sponge and that's enough. 

No need to dust but i do look in things..number of times a mug gets a foriegn knob of clay inside which adheres to bottom ..even escapes notice till after glazing...wrecks a good stir!!

Other than clay dust , a lot is simply burned off in bisquing process.

If its greenware I never clean it I just fire it -if its bisqueware I never wash it. If its dusty I blow it off. I tend to cover bisque ware if I'm not glazing it right away. 

There are folks who wash thier bisqueware-I just have no idea why unless its dusty.

35 minutes ago, Mark C. said:

If its greenware I never clean it I just fire it -if its bisqueware I never wash it. If its dusty I blow it off. I tend to cover bisque ware if I'm not glazing it right away. 

There are folks who wash thier bisqueware-I just have no idea why unless its dusty.

I thought it was just people who sand their bisqueware who wash it, guess not!

If I have to sand something I will sponge it off after, otherwjse I might get a visit from Mr. Crawl

Yes If I grind some wax off bisqueware with a dremil tool I will wipe with a wet sponge so it does not crawl as well but I doubt anyone grinds wax off but me. with a power tool-then I sand it smooth before glazing

Archived