QotW: What is the silliest thing you have done or seen done dealing with Ceramics?

Hi all,

Apologies, this is not a silly thing - but a questions as I want to avoid doing a silly thing! I'm new to ceramics and my club is doing an Anagama firing soon. I have made a hand built sculpture out of cone 10 clay but foolishly used some cone 6 slip on my joins. Will this be a disaster? 

Any thoughtful advice very welcome!

Jess.

Ah silly, yeah, disastrous, could be. Considering the cone 10 to ^6 difference, my best bet that you sculpture could fall apart, possibly affecting other pieces in the kiln. I will depend on where the joins are, how the piece will be set in the kiln, and whether it will get the full effects of the kiln atmosphere. Personally, I would build another. However, if you don't have the time, I would make certain that the powers that be, kiln loaders and firers know exactly what you have done.

best,

Pres

On 8/19/2020 at 10:28 PM, blackthorn said:

My silliest, though, not the silliest of anyone ever.   Certainly the most boring... I loaned my Brent C wheel  to a 'friend' before I went traveling. 

Never saw it again.

Wait!  How does that work?

Have you not seen, or been in contact with the person?  What do they say when asked about the wheel?

On 8/23/2020 at 10:36 AM, blackthorn said:

They said they moved a number of times and the wheel 'sustained some damage' before its abandonment.  Like the wheel, I haven't seen that friend again. Not that I'm bitter.

That almost seems a bit ominous.  "My wheel disappeared, then *coincidentally* so did my friend...

• 3 weeks later...

I don't even like lending tools to my husband,  the only way I get them back is to hunt for them in his garage.   Now he has a new woodworking shop in the basement so I it will take longer to find them.   He will go in my studio and get a tool without asking,   what really bothers me is that he will take tools that he also has but can't find them.   He doesn't want to bother looking for them so he takes mine and promptly misplaces them.  I try not to complain,  I am lucky to have a husband that can fix anything.     Denice

52 minutes ago, Denice said:

I don't even like lending tools to my husband,  the only way I get them back is to hunt for them in his garage.   Now he has a new woodworking shop in the basement so I it will take longer to find them.   He will go in my studio and get a tool without asking,   what really bothers me is that he will take tools that he also has but can't find them.   He doesn't want to bother looking for them so he takes mine and promptly misplaces them.  I try not to complain,  I am lucky to have a husband that can fix anything.     Denice

Sounds like me! 

4 hours ago, Denice said:

I recommend those chains that the banks use for their pens...

11 minutes ago, Benzine said:

I recommend those chains that the banks use for their pens...

My wife tied the scissors to our drawer handle because I kept losing them in my studio...  My ingenious solution was to go to Costco and buy a 3 pack of scissors...  I still have one pair and the only reason I still have it is that it's tied to my decal book.  :/

I think mine has to be kiln gods.  My daughter has been making them for me for the last 12 years or so.  She 100% flips out if the is not a new kiln god for every firing.  I think we have 300+ of them in custom display cases in the store.  Most of them have been glazed and fired.  She has a display case in her room that is also full of gods.  There is a gaylord about half full that's hidden way that she dose not know about.

I think she learned about them on YouTube.

3 hours ago, saltedfire said:

No thanks.  It's boarder line embarrassing to me.  It's bad enough that I talked about it.

I think it's awesome!

I've actually thought about doing that in my classroom with students.  I'd probably start by making one myself, and then have a volunteer make one for each subsequent firing.

11 hours ago, Chilly said:

but it's fascinating for the rest of us.  No need for embarrassment, we've all got our idiosyncrasies. 

It's one of the 3 things about my daughters Downs Syndrome that drives me nuts.

EDIT

I don't want this to be a thread killer, that's why I tried to pass on saying anything.

Edited by saltedfire
I'm a thread killer.

Perhaps not silly - oooh, I got a smirk out o't though!

At the local JC ceramic lab (a few years ago), deduction indicated that person was culprit - chipped bowls, locker full of broken pieces, a few other broken pieces - and, having noticed that person didn't care for heights and couldn't reach far (bein' close t'th' ground), ah moved alla my stuff to a high cubby.

"Oh, you moved your stuff up..."

"Yep (smirk)"

<extra crimson flush>

Hulk your high cubby reminded me of a newly thrown pot sitting high on a shelf in a outdoor drying area at a local pottery class.   The pot was had  a tunnel wrapping around the pot,  the maker was furious and demanding to know who ruin  his work.   The teacher pulled the pot down  and found a large worm eating its way through the clay.   The potter felt pretty foolish that he had thrown such a fit,  he decided to fire the piece and see what happens.  It was the last day of the class so I never found out,  it probably cracked up.  LOL   Denice