Substituting Lithium Carbonate for Spodumene in VC Matte stoneware oxidation glaze

Hi guys - 
Like the title says I'm trying to substitute Lithium Carbonate in my glaze for another material because it's so expensive. I have read that an alternative could possibly be Spodumene, but from what I can see it's got about 1/5 the amount of Lithium than the carbonate form. I've set up a comparison in digital fire, but at this point I'm not sure what the best way is to proceed with testing, maybe someone with more experience can give some insight..

From the digital fire reference:

Spodumene is only slightly soluble (in contrast to lithium carbonate). Because spodumene is a natural combination of silica, alumina and lithia it melts better than a chemically equivalent mixture of lithium carbonate, kaolin and silica. Since almost all raw glazes contain kaolin and silica it is normally fairly easy to juggle recipe ingredients in a ceramic chemistry calculation program to introduce spodumene to replace lithium carbonate. Spodumene can also be substituted for part of the feldspar complement in a recipe without disturbing overall chemistry too much (other than substituting Li2O for KNaO).

Thanks very much !

949779434_ScreenShot2020-04-08at9_50_10AM.png.84ff77cd4d3e0a8a768a17a05f053eec.png

I'm not a chemist with glazes either, but when I compare the two glaze formulas, I notice that the Lithium is way low in the glaze with the Spodumene. If you compare many of the other values you find KNaO to be higher in your Spodumene glaze. I would think that these changes will make major differences in the glaze. Also notice the difference in you Ti, which can be remedied by adding less of you opacifier.  To test this, I would consider standing test tiles,  with the top 1/2 glazed, and put the whole set of test tiles on a waster. . . an old partial broken shelf, or a clay slab.

IMHO

best,

Pres

Welcome to electric cars-batteries and cell phone demand-thay all use our glaze products-they all drive up the prices

looks like its $18 a # here

https://shop.clay-planet.com/lithium-carbonate.aspx

I suggest just paying the price as its' cheaper than cobalt and Tin

You can use less but you are best with some in your glaze.

8 minutes ago, Mark C. said:

Welcome to electric cars-batteries and cell phone demand-thay all use our glaze products-they all drive up the prices

looks like its $18 a # here

https://shop.clay-planet.com/lithium-carbonate.aspx

I suggest just paying the price as its' cheaper than cobalt and Tin

You can use less but you are best with some in your glaze.

Actually I'm based in the Netherlands so this is the price I'm looking at : https://www.keramikos.nl/chemicalien/410-lithium-carbonaat-500-gram.html?search_query=lithium+carbonate&results=9  --it seems it's roughly equivalent with the currency conversion...

Thanks for your reference though I will look into their shipping options.

It looks like from the site you posted it's 60$ per lb

Well I just googled it-never looked beyound the 1st hit.

I tend to have larger quainities of materials myself.

Many ceramic material suppliers are closed down now with the virus so supply will be an issue. I'm 100% out of touch with European suppliers but your options most likely are better on your side of  the pond -shipping as far as I know is only cheap to the UK via Royal Mail -shipping elsewhere is spendy.

My biggest issue with this glaze is how much lithium it has in it. VC Matte with 8.9% lithium carb could very well lead to shivering. Lithia is a funny material, you can get both crazing and shivering with high lithia glazes like that one.

That being said I took a go at altering the recipe but I really don't like the glaze I came up with. I had to replace all the nepheline syenite because it was oversupplying the alumina content of the glaze. I replaced the sodium and potassium with Ferro Frit 3110 (don't know if that is available where you live?). Even when I removed all the added silica the silica level is still higher than the original as it's being supplied by the Ferro Frit 3110 and spodumene and gerstley borate. Sodium and potassium levels are different but the overall KNaO is pretty close. This version will sink like a stone in the bucket since I had to remove all the kaolin (or else oversupplied silica even more) and both spodumene and the frit are heavy sinking materials. The 8 bentonite might make it useable but I still don't care for this glaze.712165669_ScreenShot2020-04-07at8_45_57AM.png.e3ba4dbe8891c4cbb736e1e4c63b91bd.png 

Original on the left, my version on the right.

Hi Carlo!

A bit of lithium goes a looong way, per my reading - am still mulling over recipes for cone six clear remediation (crazing) with lithium; I'm choosing petalite, as I wish to avoid bubbly/soapy spodumene and lithium carbonate solubility issues (read up on them issues!!). Have to decide soon tho', as next bisque fire is this week!

For mid range (I'm aiming for cone 6), over 2% lithium probably not ok; my first trials  will contain much less...

10 minutes ago, Min said:

My biggest issue with this glaze is how much lithium it has in it. VC Matte with 8.9% lithium carb could very well lead to shivering. Lithia is a funny material, you can get both crazing and shivering with high lithia glazes like that one.

That being said I took a go at altering the recipe but I really don't like the glaze I came up with. I had to replace all the nepheline syenite because it was oversupplying the alumina content of the glaze. I replaced the sodium and potassium with Ferro Frit 3110 (don't know if that is available where you live?). Even when I removed all the added silica the silica level is still higher than the original as it's being supplied by the Ferro Frit 3110 and spodumene and gerstley borate. Sodium and potassium levels are different but the overall KNaO is pretty close. This version will sink like a stone in the bucket since I had to remove all the kaolin (or else oversupplied silica even more) and both spodumene and the frit are heavy sinking materials. The 8 bentonite might make it useable but I still don't care for this glaze.712165669_ScreenShot2020-04-07at8_45_57AM.png.e3ba4dbe8891c4cbb736e1e4c63b91bd.png 

Original on the left, my version on the right.

Thanks for the effort!!

I have used VC Matter before with 10% titanium dioxide and I really love the results under slow cooling 

Lithium carb is 25 a pound at my local store, pretty cheap when you consider how much is used in a typical recipe. 

You accidentally put 8 bentonite in your recipe, would hate to see how gelled that would be, especially with 11 gerstley!!!

Other approach would be to reduce the lithium carb so the cost to make the glaze is less plus it would make the glaze less likely to shiver.

I just used the materials in your original recipe and reduced the lithium then increased the whiting to supply some more flux to make up for the fluxing lost by reducing the lithia. High calcium glazes can make nice mattes when slow cooled so this might work. If you try it please just mix up a tiny bit of glaze to test, what looks okay on paper doesn't always translate to what works on a pot. (slight understatement!) Silica, alumina etc levels rebalanced to match original as is the silica:alumina ratio. Your original on the left, reduced lithia version on right.

1851307768_ScreenShot2020-04-07at11_22_52AM.png.339500f86532d93d67d47119f570ee28.png

6 hours ago, clorenzetti said:

Also if you guys are interested here are some pictures of a piece that I used the original VC Matte with 10% titanium dioxide on:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1zNPqmY3o5s52ZhoRO73ivp7eD01KsDrV?usp=sharing

This is not unlike Alabama Rain....

Why not try a different satin matte which gives very similar results without Lithium. 

Lots of tried and true recipes on these forums for just that.

You are not going for colours associated with Lithium so .....

11 hours ago, clorenzetti said:

Hi guys - 
Like the title says I'm trying to substitute Lithium Carbonate in my glaze for another material because it's so expensive. I have read that an alternative could possibly be Spodumene, but from what I can see it's got about 1/5 the amount of Lithium than the carbonate form. I've set up a comparison in digital fire, but at this point I'm not sure what the best way is to proceed with testing, maybe someone with more experience can give some insight..

From the digital fire reference:

Thanks very much !

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 1.36.28 PM.png

Since they are different concentrations they are not one to one substitutions which you no doubt realize. So some folks would pick out the qualities the glaze has that they want to maintane. Maybe you want to maintain the gloss as is, which would be indicated by the Si:al ratio of 5.6:1 which should be a matte.  Along with qualities there are reasonable limits. Generally al2o3  .54 ish becomes hard to melt at cone six so 0.67 begs to be adjusted downward. So substitutions usually take clarity in what makes the original glaze good for you and a reasonable amount of knowledge about glazes. Once ya got that you begin adjusting the components of the glaze to preserve the qualities you like.

so if it’s 0.32 lithium  that you like then more spodumene but less of other components in an attempt to try and preserve or match the quantities  of components in the original glaze.

The place to start is to answer why this is the glaze for you and what qualities is lithium providing that you are trying  to match. It could be color, it could be low expansion but again what is it?

6 hours ago, clorenzetti said:

Also if you guys are interested here are some pictures of a piece that I used the original VC Matte with 10% titanium dioxide on:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1zNPqmY3o5s52ZhoRO73ivp7eD01KsDrV?usp=sharing

Looks glossy actually in the pictures. Lots of mid fire matte recipes that are true matte (no slow cooling needed) and you can dial in your sheen by adding more or less silica.

14 hours ago, liambesaw said:

Lithium carb is 25 a pound at my local store, pretty cheap when you consider how much is used in a typical recipe. 

You accidentally put 8 bentonite in your recipe, would hate to see how gelled that would be, especially with 11 gerstley!!!

Thank you for the correction! I amended the original post ^

9 hours ago, Babs said:

This is not unlike Alabama Rain....

Why not try a different satin matte which gives very similar results without Lithium. 

Lots of tried and true recipes on these forums for just that.

You are not going for colours associated with Lithium so .....

Thanks for the suggestion! Alabama Rain looks very nice i will look into it!

9 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

The place to start is to answer why this is the glaze for you and what qualities is lithium providing that you are trying  to match. It could be color, it could be low expansion but again what is it?

Thanks for your response and  nice question! What exactly is it..

For me it's this reptilian like texture when the glaze is thick, it's this sort of pleated texture which is kind of difficult to photograph but here are some pictures which I think illustrates the effect:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1UpZ7uk8TrbMwZqy9bihuzKpZfM54ZOZj?usp=sharing

I really like when the glaze takes on an entirely different kind of surface texture more-so than a flat tight covering over the piece.

---

Thanks to everyone that has taken the time to respond here! As I test the new glazes I will update this thread to share the results!

13 hours ago, Min said:

Other approach would be to reduce the lithium carb so the cost to make the glaze is less plus it would make the glaze less likely to shiver.

I just used the materials in your original recipe and reduced the lithium then increased the whiting to supply some more flux to make up for the fluxing lost by reducing the lithia. High calcium glazes can make nice mattes when slow cooled so this might work. If you try it please just mix up a tiny bit of glaze to test, what looks okay on paper doesn't always translate to what works on a pot. (slight understatement!) Silica, alumina etc levels rebalanced to match original as is the silica:alumina ratio. Your original on the left, reduced lithia version on right.

1851307768_ScreenShot2020-04-07at11_22_52AM.png.339500f86532d93d67d47119f570ee28.png

Thanks very much for this suggestion!

Archived