Shipping a kiln

Hope this belongs here--I have someone who's interested in buying my old test kiln, they want me to ship it as they're too far away for pick up. I don't have any of the original packaging. Any idea of what would be the best way to pack the box so that  the kiln isn't damaged?

How big is it? I'd probably build a wood crate around it, something heavy is gonna be tossed around and dropped like you wouldn't believe.  

One option is taking it to a FedEx or UPS place and let them pack it, that way you can get the insurance on it.

6 hours ago, Marian Lake said:

Hope this belongs here--I have someone who's interested in buying my old test kiln, they want me to ship it as they're too far away for pick up. I don't have any of the original packaging. Any idea of what would be the best way to pack the box so that  the kiln isn't damaged?

What size kiln?

I don't know that I would trust UPS/FedEx to treat it as gently as they should. A box may not provide the level of protection it needs. I'd start by placing a layer of foam between the kiln and lid, and strapping them together with plastic wrap. Then I'd build a small plywood crate and pad the kiln all around with 2 inches of foam. If you do decide to use a box, I'd double up the cardboard so it's super thick, or double box it.

Actually I have had UPS crate 15 canvas giclées average size 20x30 for a shipment from Sacramento to Laramie, Wyoming for a museum display I had done in another life and they did a perfect job of crating the set...not just a box. I don't remember what the cost was, but the museum said that money was no object to get the pieces in perfect condition, which I'm happy to say, they got. price it out with them first and ask how they would pack it. If that's not satisfactory, go with Neil's suggestion...

if you put a large plastic trash bag into the interior of the kiln and use spray foam insulation inside the bag, the interior can be completely filled with foam.   removing it should be easy at the other end.   if you do that before taking it somewhere to be packed, you might save the brick.   nobody else understands the fragility of brick but a potter.

Fill the interior with something like foam-you could cut up cheap foam and stack it inside so the inside is full and supported-not soft foam .

Wrap outside same way . If you are set on boxes use a heavy duty box or as Neil said two boxes with padding in-between . Then weigh and ship ground fed x or UPS.compare rates.

Archived