Ceramic Artist Slang

Hello!

I thought it would be fun to start a thread about words, terminology, or slang that ceramic artist use, that some younger or older artist may not be aware of? Or even nicknames that people might themselves as ceramic artists like, Clay Nerds or mudslingers. I always think its interesting to hear what people from all over the world say about working clay...

Please feel free to comment and share!

Weird local idiom that I've had to explain to a couple of people: dofer. Pronounced doo-fur. As in "it'll do fer the job."

It's a word for wood or soda kiln wadding. The story that was told to me was the word started in Nova Scotia and moved to western Canada with various students who spread out and became teachers.

I'm always telling my students to clean up their clay boogers and sharpies(sharp edges that will be prone to chip). I tend to get giggles. And i have been known to complement students that can take a bit of ribbing on their burglar deterrents and door stops ( aka heavy enough to be used as a weapon or stop a door). And of course i always mention how to avoid building kiln bombs.

My College Instructor picked up one of my mugs and said, "Well, that's insulated!"  He was correct...

In my classroom, we have a nasal aspirator, for dripping and splattering.  The students usually stare at me blankly, when I call it that, but they definitely know what I'm talking about, when I say "Baby Snot Sucker"!

I also have a wood paddle for shaping.  Years ago, after salvaging a  couple coil pots with it, some students referred to it as "The Pretty Stick".

50 minutes ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

I had a few teachers try to popularize cheese hard as a more relatable description. It didn’t really catch on. 

I think I first saw that term used here, by Pres.  I do use it, in my class as well, but not as an alternative to leather hard.  I consider them two different drynesses.  Cheese hard, is a bit softer, with more flex, than leather hard.  It's kind of a nice intermediary stage, between workable and leather hard.

On 8/6/2019 at 11:26 PM, Callie Beller Diesel said:

Their theory was that there were lots of kinds of cheese to compare hardness to. A block of cream cheese vs a creamy havarti vs a 3 year old cheddar, for instance. 

Anyone else want an apple and cheese now?

Yes. I would like a local, ripe, pesticide-free Braeburn, please, and a lovely bit of Brie de Meaux. I suppose the blooming rind on the French double cream could be considered cheese hard. 

On 8/6/2019 at 10:26 PM, Callie Beller Diesel said:

Their theory was that there were lots of kinds of cheese to compare hardness to. A block of cream cheese vs a creamy havarti vs a 3 year old cheddar, for instance. 

Anyone else want an apple and cheese now?

Most definitely not!

Two food items, I very much enjoy separately, but definitely not together. 

Now, if you want to throw a scoop of vanilla ice cream, on that pie, then I'm game.

Used to have a ceramics prof that would call clean up bits on clay . . . nerds and ditties.  Asked him where that came from one time, He said under his breath it was better than calling it Turds and T@@??#  ! You often remember the craziest of things.

best,

Pres

Archived