Skutt wheel head size

I have several shimpo wheels, all with 12" wheel heads. Consequently, my accessories are set up for that size. I recently bought a new skutt wheel, and of course it comes with a 14" head. I want to use my other accessories, can it be as simple as buying a 12" head. The beauty of the skutt wheel is it's tooless wheelhead removal. The additional head is 150$ though. Does anybody know if the sizes are the same between these manufacturers.

Sizes of what are the same? Skutt wheels will only work with their twist lock heads, I don't think you could toss a shimpo one on it.  I have the skutt prodigy and love it, what wheel accessories can't you use now?  If bat pins are different maybe you can take it to a machine shop or someone with a drill press and have them put some new bat pin holes in?

most brands all have the same 10 inch pin holes. So drilled bats fit them all. If I recall shimpo early models are not 10 inch. But that was many many decades ago-my bet is your is 10 as well.Have you measured???

14 inch heads for all 12 inch accessories -if its a giffen grip you will need to re-adjust the snap downs

I'm a 14 inch wheel head fan myself no need to ever go back to a 12.

Liam, can you do an exact measurement of your prodigy wheelhead, I believe it has a 12" head. Mark, sorry, should have specified, accessories not using the bat pins, ie Griffin grip, ect.  I want to be able to work seamlessly on all my wheels.

Having priced an additional wheelhead, or extra equipment, I think the most affordable option is a thick bat that will fit on my bat pins, but be cut down to the size of the smaller wheel.

I think the operating word here is "seamlessly". If you were to make a thick bat, it would have to be machined to the exact size as the 12" head, and the pin holes would have to be precise for centering the bat on the larger wheelhead. Otherwise the Giffen grip might be off center. Then, too, the thick bat will have to drilled for new bat pins to use the smaller bats that you would use on your old wheels. For the sake of "seamless" operation, you'd probably be better off just buying the smaller wheelhead.

JohnnyK

Johnmichael-

Don’t over think your problem. Make a thick bat from plywood or MDF with bat pin holes that fit your wheel heads. It can be slightly off center to start. Mount it on your wheel and use it as a vertical lathe to sand/file it to center. Seal it well, and the mount your Griffin grip to it. (You can mount it permanently) then just move it from one wheel to the next as needed, assuming both heads have the same pin spacing. If they don’t, just use the same center point to drill your bat pin holes at 90* to each other. Make other bats for your other accessories.

Regards,

Fred

I use a giffen stuck to a thick bat (I use pins that just drop in -never tightned down)

It can go on any wheel that uses pins-works great-that bat is about 3/4 thickness-I use it on my Brent model A with a 12 inch wheelhead.

My giffen is adjusted for a 14 inch head-actully all three of my giffens are adjusted to a 14 inch heads-

Just use a thick bat as noted above 

I use and suggest a 3/4 thick bat so Giffen grip fully engages on edge. That thick bat is drilled with the standard 10 inch spread of bat pins

Wheel head size does not matter after that point for Giffen to work on either wheel

My guess is the old shimpo will start collecting dust anyway.

On 4/7/2019 at 4:24 PM, Mark C. said:

I use and suggest a 3/4 thick bat so Giffen grip fully engages on edge. That thick bat is drilled with the standard 10 inch spread of bat pins

Wheel head size does not matter after that point for Giffen to work on either wheel

My guess is the old shimpo will start collecting dust anyway.

Unfortunately I also have a newer one too, and my wife uses it.

Archived