Slip reclaim

At our studio, we do primarily slip casting.  I make a large barrel of slip about once a week, and I use 120-150lbs of reclaim in addition to 250# of new clay.  We're always striving to have better success rates, but the reclaim often adds up and I can't keep up with it.  I'm throwing away a couple hundred pounds today and our barrels still have another 400-500# left.   This is a red low-fire clay.  

I don't think it will work for reconstituting as throwing or sculpting body, as I've had bad results doing so myself, but I may be doing it wrong.  I also don't have the time or much desire to do so.

Would this be of any value to other artists?  Asking here before I spend the time posting on Craigslist.  

(Asking here before I spend the time posting on Craigslist)

if you do post it  you can work thru about 20 -40people who never show up for it

I do not know anyone working in low fire these days.

If you post in on craggiest mention it can be used for construction as many who build with straw nowadays use clay as a binder.

Thats what I experienced try to get rid of my 1 ton of bagged high fire slip when I closed a slip business bout 15 years ago

Mine went Into the straw house construction trades

2 hours ago, Mark C. said:

Mine went Into the straw house construction trades

Mark, I just want to point out that you just cost me hours of time that I now have to spend surfing on straw house construction and watching endless YouTube video's. You really should be more careful about mentioning things like that on a creative board.

You're right, it won't work well as a throwing or handbuilding body once it has been deflocculated. If you don't want to mess with finding someone who can use it, I wouldn't feel too guilty about putting it in the dumpster. It's about as landfill friendly as you can get. I'd let it dry out first, though. In the future, I'd try to work out a system where you can dispose of surplus on a regular basis, rather than letting it build up. Like keep X number of buckets, for reclaim, and when they fill up just start tossing the failures until the buckets are emptied again. Dealing with reclaim can be a major waste of time=$. Take a look at the real cost of dealing with it and see if it's actually worth the effort.

I average 2 buckets to 3 buckets a week tossed out for dry trimmings of porcelain . It  is not worth my time dealing with it.

That ton of slip I had was new  in bagged 50# bags. I sold it below cost to a straw house build.

Stephen learning takes time-two hours really ? do you know how many hours I have spent on answering folks here???

Creativity is also in the building trades

3 hours ago, Apocalypticamerica said:

We do have a system in place for drying, reclaiming, and disposing, but I'm simply trying to avoid the disposing if it's at all possible it can be used by someone else.  We're all about sustainability here.  

Straw house construction is the perfect recycle plan-craigslist under building materials

On 11/7/2018 at 7:22 PM, neilestrick said:

You're right, it won't work well as a throwing or handbuilding body once it has been deflocculated

I've heard that mentioned around hear before, but why exactly is that?

On 11/7/2018 at 7:47 PM, Mark C. said:

I average 2 buckets to 3 buckets a week tossed out for dry trimmings of porcelain . It  is not worth my time dealing with it.

I thought you were reclaiming scraps, with that pugmill you bought, or was that just to wedge the clay for you?

I only use it to reclaim WET clay no dry trimmings-Porcelain s hard to get right after its dryed without slaking time and hassal. I go thru to much clay to worry about saving dry trimmings-life is short and clay is cheap.

I wedge with the power wedger(petter pugger)

I mix bodies and adjust moisture content as well as reclaim all wet clay.

Hate the thought of dumping anything....what about defloccing it?

Reinstate into the soil.

Clay wrestling taking off????

Dry it crush it and incorporate in Sandy soil as an improver..... moisture retention.

We spread clay here on our non wetting acidic sand country to obtain a more wetting soil and to limit runoff....when the rains eventually drop bringing a more consistent germination 

Archived