Glaze Ingredient Storage

Elan

Hi there,

I'm looking for a replacement for my ideal glaze ingredient storage container which seems to be no longer available and I'm hoping that one of you will have a suitable suggestion (available in Ontario, Canada).

The containers I used to use for the 50lb bags of glaze ingredients were  tall Rubbermaid  totes (usually blue). 

I've attached a picture of the type of Rubbermaid and a picture of a lidless garbage can that is the correct shape.

Basically what I am looking for is a  sturdy lidded container that is big enough to hold an entire bag of material. Tall and narrow rather than short and wide so that they do not need to be stacked to maximize floor space under a counter. I don't want to move these suckers except to refill them! I am wary of any plastics that are too hard or brittle -the Rubbermaid is nice in that it is sturdy but has some give it it gets banged around.

Anybody have any suggestions?

(I wish I hadn't sold the containers along with the glaze ingredients when I downsized the last time...)

Thank you!

Eleanor

Rubbermaid tote.jpeg

Rubbermaid garbage can.jpeg

i have the same rubbermade  containers and their factory is only 25 miles away.   did not know they are no longer available, will look into it for you.  what city would you buy them in?  and the store name would help as well.

you know not to use sterilite, right?

Fred, the dog food containers look great! Of course there is a pet lovers premium added to the price -the ones I can source easily are $70!! But at least I know what to look for on sale...

OL, I've got some flour in Sterlite containers -they seem barely up to the 10kg load even though they -and because they seem brittle I live in dread of knocking them too hard on something and cracking them to bits. Also, never lift by the lid handle when full!

Dick, I'll give a look at the wrapping containers -I suspect they might be too lightweight because their intended contents are pretty fluffy. Have you used them?

OL, I'm in Guelph -and I haven't seen these particular containers for sale in a while -my go to source was always Canadian Tire -but I'll go anywhere South Ontario-ish or shop online and pay shipping if the shape and price are right.

Thanks!

Eleanor

Probably not as nice as the ones Fred mentioned but I use some plastic ones like Ikea sells. 50lb bag of epk will fit in the larger size, and 50 lb bag of silica will fit in the smaller. (The tall unit is from a airplane, used for food service, it's wonderful, tambour door pulls down to cover all the bins. Hard to find but if you ever can it's an awesome storage unit.)

1295327786_v-1(1).jpg.89ef3010b6c8ea98e93c7234872534e0.jpg

1156597504_v-1.jpg.0cad3259bec7164c75b1b418534336d1.jpg

1 hour ago, neilestrick said:

Why?

I'm guessing they are brittle and crack over time-or at least the ones did that store my dive gear in. I have about 8 of them and about 1/2 the lids are cracked. The rubbermaid lids are holding up well with dive gear.At this point I keep my materials in the original bags. Maybe when I get serious I will invest in some solid bins.

Actually I'm thinking about some rolling tall containers for some  larger stuff  in 50% to clean up my glaze area some.

The dog ones look pretty good Fred.

neil, sterilite will crack.   they are brittle and rigid so there is no give to them.  rubbermaid is flexible and their lids are  so tight that it takes 2 hands to get them off the tubs.  i started using rubbermaid before 1995 and am still using them.  can't be beat.    edit to add :  using  the same ones 

Well, I can only speak to how Sterlite vs. Rubbermaid works for Mr. Chewy.  The Rubbermaid  storage bin is not pictured, because it is totally intact.

This bears no relationship to the storage of ceramics materials,  unless you might store said ceramics materials on your porch in an environment favored by Mr. Chewy.  In that case, go with Rubbermaid--and maybe coat it with hot pepper sauce.

20180622_103634--.jpg

1207150217b--.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Everybody,

I've decided that my dream containers are the IKEA containers shared by Min. Now I just need to choose which chemicals to purchase... and hope there is budget left for containers afterwards!

• 2 weeks later...

So I haven't bought containers yet -decided I should do the materials first and didn't get to Tuckers before they stopped being open on Saturdays for the summer, so still waiting on that...

In the meantime, I was perusing IKEA again and found these FILUR containers:

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/search/?query=filur

They look like they might fit the bill but I'm wondering if any of you have tried them -or know whether the plastic is stiff/brittle or soft enough to withstand some banging around...

Thanks,

Eleanor

Late to the conversation here, but I use 5 gallon buckets for most of my bulk storage.  They are  inexpensive and readily available from the big box home improvement stores.  Note - 50 pounds of less dense materials often do not fit into a single 5 gallon pail.  However, 7 gallon buckets are available for purchase from vendors like Uline -   https://www.uline.com/BL_8150/Plastic-Pails-and-Lids 

Another option would be to purchase 10 gallon rubbermaid brute containers from a restaurant supply store.  They're not as cheap, but these will definitely hold a full 50 pound bag while meeting your requirement for a taller, rather than wider, container.  Here's a link to s.t.o.p restaurant supply in Kitchener  http://www.shopatstop.com/en/product/10gal-gray-brute-round-containers-2/

-SD

Archived