Pottery Stools, what do you use?

I've always used a standard low steel stool like the Amaco. I now bock up the rear legs with a 4x4 to tilt it forward.

Getting older now, so I'm going to order a new TS wheel with the leg extensions to experiment with.

that will require a taller stool.

I'd like some opinions on the available models.

I'm pretty active when working around my wheel. Using it for banding, trimming et al, up and down alot.

The thing I'm concerned with in the 5-leg types like Speedball makes, is the legs and backrest getting in the way when getting up.

But maybe not.  Hard to tell about the ergos without seeing these in person.

31xxihjs2gl.jpg

+1 for the chair Mark C linked to.

I took the back off of my chair. I get on and off the chair like a bicycle. One of the reason for removing the back. The other reason was I did not like the feeling of being pinned down by that back spring. This chair is the best I have found for throwing or trimming. Before this chair I had the 1 in your pic, Rex Johnson. Then before that was the shimpo white frame with blue seat. The ST1 is the best.

I have my Brent wheel on cinder blocks so my legs are almost like standing up. I bought a bar stool gas cylinder for the 5 star base to get the taller seat height. This setup has been the best for my fake knee and fake hip.

1 hour ago, dhPotter said:

+1 for the chair Mark C linked to.

I took the back off of my chair. I get on and off the chair like a bicycle. One of the reason for removing the back. The other reason was I did not like the feeling of being pinned down by that back spring. This chair is the best I have found for throwing or trimming. Before this chair I had the 1 in your pic, Rex Johnson. Then before that was the shimpo white frame with blue seat. The ST1 is the best.

I have my Brent wheel on cinder blocks so my legs are almost like standing up. I bought a bar stool gas cylinder for the 5 star base to get the taller seat height. This setup has been the best for my fake knee and fake hip.

" a bar stool gas cylinder "...what's this?

1 hour ago, Rex Johnson said:

" a bar stool gas cylinder "...what's this?

I imagine its a stool with a cylinder that allows the stool to go down when you sit on it and spring back up when you get off.

I used an old height-adjustable kitchen/bar stool, until the frame broke because I was leaning forward all the time.  I fixed it with some material that hardened to a steel-like strength, but eventually replaced it with a Shimpo stool where you could adjust the heigh of the legs individually.

I don't throw for long periods, but even so I make sure to get up and wedge clay each time I want to throw something new.  That way I have to get off the stool, at least for a few minutes.

Rex Johnson - 

Stool Height Gas Lift Cylinder, Black - 10" Travel - FREE SHIPPING - S6120

$39.99

When you get the ST1 it comes with a gas cylinder height adjuster. It wasn't as tall as I needed. Bought this and replaced the original. Very easy to get the old gas cylinder out. Search You tube.  Basically , you turn the chair upside down and with a 2x4 place it over the end of the original gas cylinder then smack it with a hammer a few good times, out it pops. Place you new gas cylinder in the hole, turn it right side up then sit in it. The pressure of your weight will seat the new gas cylinder.

I'm finding that sitting lower is better for me, however, have to sit higher, closer and leaning in to center.

A plastic milk crate, upside down (with a folded towel on it for paddin') is about right, and on its side, tilted forward is good to get centered.

Once - if ever - dialed, maybe a fancier solution will evolve.

Can't beat sittin' onna terlet tho'!

On 4/2/2018 at 12:01 PM, Rex Johnson said:

I've always used a standard low steel stool like the Amaco. I now bock up the rear legs with a 4x4 to tilt it forward.

Getting older now, so I'm going to order a new TS wheel with the leg extensions to experiment with.

that will require a taller stool.

I'd like some opinions on the available models.

I'm pretty active when working around my wheel. Using it for banding, trimming et al, up and down alot.

The thing I'm concerned with in the 5-leg types like Speedball makes, is the legs and backrest getting in the way when getting up.

But maybe not.  Hard to tell about the ergos without seeing these in person.

31xxihjs2gl.jpg

I use the stool you have pictured. It works extremely well for me, is inexpensive, and ergonomic. I find it easier to push on larger pieces of clay because the seat leans slightly forward and the back gives a small amount of support. Adjustable for all sorts of throwing, nice for off the hump so that you can lower as you get down in the clay. I first bought them for my HS when I taught, then a few years ago when I got tired of "make do's" I bought my own.

best,

Pres

My fav is a basic metal gray square stool got at a school salvage for $2. I tend to throw with my left ankle wrapped around the stool leg. Its strong enough to stand on....i have a slightly taller version in my kitchen that i found at the thrift that is painted red. I think my college had a few like it in the pottery studio too.

Archived