QothW: I know variations of this have been asked before, but what is your current playlist/ favourite audio book/Netflix binge? What is keeping you company this week?

Callie Diesel posted a question of interest in the QothW Pool area, so I thought a good time to pose it to the rest of you:

I know variations of this have been asked before, but what is your current playlist/ favourite audio book/Netflix binge? What is keeping you company this week?

For me, I have a TV in the studio, and when I want a little noise, I turn it on, and often listen/glance at old westerns on the Encore Westerns channel. I probably saw them all as a kid, and still enjoy them, but now I really don't have to watch them. However, when throwing, especially centering, I watch the TV instead of the clay on the wheel. I find that not watching the clay forces me to feel what I am doing rather than being distracted by seeing what I am doing. . . some of you that might not make sense, but then others of you may understand completely.

best,

Pres

• Pres pinned this topic

I change between different stations on pandora. I usually listen to techno, but lately I have been listening to Chinese Traditional music. Really beautiful stuff. No idea what they are saying, but the instrumentals are amazing. If I am doing lots of brain-dead stuff I turn on some progressive rock.

Right now I want to binge stranger things 2 on netflix, but I have to be careful entering into consumption. I much prefer to create over consume and consuming can be very addictive. So I only watch 30 minutes a day. Takes me two days to watch one episode! It's so good though.

Me and some other potters at my work have an audio book club. we all have an audible and share books with each other. I just recently finished Stephen King's IT, both Jurassic Park books, and The Demon Cycle series. Right now I'm listening to The Magicians books. Otherwise sometimes I listen to my music playlist.

In my current phase, when I'm taking a break, or procrastinating, I am watching Call the Midwife or old seasons of NCIS, that I just let run while I'm on the computer, not really attending to it. For music, in the studio (when I don't want silence, which I often prefer), I like eclectic mixes from my own collection.  Today's compilation included Edith Piaf, Baroque Trumpet, Phil Ochs,  Alan Lomax's Texas Folk Songs , a wonderful little world music album titled Turkish Groove, Grace Jones, Krishna Das, R.E.M., Ron Kenoly, Antony and the Johnsons, Lindsey Stirling, Blue October, and a bit of the soundtrack from Super Fly.  Go figure----works for me.  I read murder mysteries to fall asleep and in waking hours am re-reading, in small doses over a long time, Liar's Poker (Michael Lewis), And the Band Played On: Politics, People, and the AIDS Epidemic (Randy Shilts), and Steve Lopez's The Soloist . One in the car, one by the sofa, and one in the dining room.   

I just finished the entire audiobook series starring Barbara Holloway, the intrepid defense attorney from Eugene Oregon. This is my second time through it. Now I'm starting over on the book series starring Harry Hole, brilliant detective from Oslo Norway, with a knack for catching serial killers. The stories are pretty gruesome, not just the murders but also the enemies within his police department, and his battle with alcoholism. The writing is also really well structured and clever. One of his books is about to be released as a movie (The Snowman) so I want to reacquaint myself with the character before I see the movie.

50 minutes ago, GEP said:

I just finished the entire audiobook series starring Barbara Holloway, the intrepid defense attorney from Eugene Oregon. This is my second time through it. Now I'm starting over on the book series starring Harry Hole, brilliant detective from Oslo Norway, with a knack for catching serial killers. The stories are pretty gruesome, not just the murders but also the enemies within his police department, and his battle with alcoholism. The writing is also really well structured and clever. One of his books is about to be released as a movie (The Snowman) so I want to reacquaint myself with the character before I see the movie.

Mea, you mentioned the Jack Reacher series before,  So I started reading those (very entertaining!)  I will now check out these two characters you have mentioned.  And no, I am not doing audiobook, but I am downloading from the library for reading.   I love your recommendations!  Have you read/listened to Robert Galbraith?  Quite satisfying.

In the studio, I start with a variety of music in the morning, check in on Public Radio at some point during the day, change up the music, and will probably end up with something on Hulu.  I really like a lot of the BBC comedies and dramas. 

19 minutes ago, Roberta12 said:

Mea, you mentioned the Jack Reacher series before,  So I started reading those (very entertaining!)  I will now check out these two characters you have mentioned.  And no, I am not doing audiobook, but I am downloading from the library for reading.   I love your recommendations!  Have you read/listened to Robert Galbraith?  Quite satisfying.

Love Jack Reacher! I've already listened to all of them at least twice. A new one is coming out this month, I'm already on my library's waitlist for it.

I've never heard of Robert Galbraith, but I will put this on my list too. Thanks!

Read all of the Reacher books. Just finished the latest Dan Brown book, Origins. Have been rereading several of the L.E. Modesitt series. . . especially the Imager series and the Saga of Recluse. They may be out in audio, I'll have to look. They would be great for me to listen to in the shop. Funny how the Recluse series and the Origins both have an underlying theme of chaos vs order. Sounds a lot like clay to me, especially working on the wheel, firing and other things.

best,

Pres

I like to have noise in the background, if I don't I hear all of the weird noises my house makes.   I like old rock and roll radio station that still has a local disc jockey or I have the television on that has a program on that I have seen.  I am a visual learner, so when I work all on my concentration and attention is on the pot I am working on.   Sometimes I even block out the noise around me.  Last year I was working in my studio and the TV weatherman I assume was reporting  tornado possibility in my area,  I had totally blocked it out.   Sideways wind, rain and hail  hit my studio so hard I nearly jumped out of my skin a tornado could have been close by.   I got a weather radio in my shop for safety I need something that is loud enough to break my concentration.   Denice

Background noise is actually a concentration aid to those of us non-neural normative folks. (As is chewing gum).

Overdrive is my favourite app for audio books, and my library has a pretty good supply, so here's for free fun! Also a fan of iTunes, although it is less free.

Super stoked this morning to see that Overdrive automatically checked out Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book from my local library! Been waiting for that one for a while, and it's good timing, because I have to try and make 100 mugs this week.  (Yikes!)

my current favourite playlist is bluesy and rock-y, with a good steady rythm that I can work steadily to. 

Beat the Devil's Tattoo- Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

Push- Matchbox 20

Something's Happening to Me-Arum Rae

Savin' Me-Nickleback (don't judge.)

Tell That Devil- Jill Andrews

Get Away- Paul Otten

Over and Over-Three Days Grace

River- Bishop Briggs

Get Stoned- Hinder

Bad Company- Five Finger Death Punch

Animal- Badflower

No Good-Kaleo

Ain't No Easy Way-Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

Killin' Floor- Blues Saraceno

Hangin' Tree- Blues Saraceno

Edit: I actually can't watch tv shows or movies while working, even if I can quote them verbatim. The screen sucks all my attention.

• Pres unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

Callie: I do listen to music, just not out in the studio. My primary selections come from 1968- 1978. 

Folk:  Gordon Lightfoot:  Sit Down Young Stranger, Farewell to Annabell, The House You Live In.

Joni Mitchell:  Circle Game, For Free ( live at the BBC 1970), Radio

Soft Rock:   Mountain: Nantucket Sleighride

Trapeze: Medusa, Midnight flyer

jackson Browne: For A Dancer,  These Days, or  Looking into You

and of course the legendary Wishbone Ash (1968) Blowin Free

English Forklore:  Fairport Convention:  Matte Groves. Or  Traffic: John Barleycorn

Blues  Phoebe Snow; Harpo Blues or Poetry Man

bill Withers, Boz Scaggs,  Little Feat, Muddy Waters.

and I listen to Dad,s stuff on occasion:  Righteous Brothers, Marty Robbins, Patsy Cline, and Roberta Flack.

and when I am trying to calculate chemistry.. Pink Floyd- seems fitting for brain jobs.

I don't listen to music in my studio. I listened to some Joni Mitchell, Judy Collins, Ian and Sylvia lately. (In my youth I worked at the Philadelphia Folk Festival.Heard many including Doc Watson, Pete Seeger, Arlo Guthry.)  It began with one of my friends at our local open mic singing Joe Cocker's version of All Right.I googled  some old songs and got ear worms.

He wanted Matt to practice With a Little Help from My Friends but they didn't get to it. I think my girlfriends and I will need to get a backup group going for some of these songs. 

Winter in Red Lodge is community oriented. Tuesday night jam sessions. Monthly Forum discussions on provocative issues. It is a small town 2100. Kids ice skate at the park. Friends plow the driveways. We still have big piles of snow here. Temperatures were above freezing for a few days. A big Bull Moose was spotted over by the vet's clinic. Deer wander around the yards and even beg for food. Lots of turkeys too. Love living here. I didn't have a TV all year. We got our Apple TV operating -not in the studio- but I tried watching it tonight and turned it off. Feeling good about my work and the new year with focus. Will watch the last season of Longmire sometime this winter.

deerturkeys.jpg

I took a break from the studio over Christmas and did my Netflix binging  with Turn: Washington's Spies.  Listened to  some indigenous, spiritual, vibrational music to center, calm, and energise myself (a friend brought me some self-recorded music from Amazonian Ayahuasca  sessions he undertook , and  I read some Anne Perry (which tends to have the affect of making my use of the written word even more annoying to the "give it to me in 5 semi-literate sentences in less than 10 seconds" victims of pop culture).  Also keeping me company has been the activity of sending small pieces as gifts (mostly catchalls and business card holders) to friends all over the country, including many I have never met except online (those folks, in particular, have served as an informal marketing feedback panel and the gifts were a thank you for giving me their two-cents worth).  Rested and recharged, I am about to take a load of items up to the North Country (upper NH, beautifully deep in snow-tho not as gorgeous as Montana and Marcia's deer!) so a friend can do reference photos for me, for my inventory spreadsheet. Something "medical" was standing in my way, which has been identified, tho will remain unchanged, so now, better informed, I can get on with the business of doing my thing.  Really looking forward to 2018. 

Archived