Making 'breakable' Cups

Yes - we want the cups to break.  I have a request from our local theater group for cups that will break when a toast is made.  Haven't had this request before so I would like help to do it the correct way the first time (as they need them within 2 weeks).  My first thought is to throw them very thin with my cone 5 clay and have both firings just go to bisque and use cone 05 glazes.  Your opinions on this method or better ways to do this would be appreciated.  I also have cone 10 clay available to use.

Thanks!

Diz

I was asked to do this two years ago when I fell in with some theatre people. Ceramic is unsuitable for breakaway props. Industry uses a thin acrylic for this. One, because they want non-sharp edges, two because they want something light that won't injure actors or, worse, audience members. The glaze can be sharp, and clay is heavy. Picture Stanley Kowalski's plate smashing and bottle breaking with real ceramic--the actors would need safety glasses

Proper breakaway props have nearly no mass, very light. Also, very cheap. Like, a six pack of beer bottles was around $20 USD?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2017 at 10:48 AM, Tyler Miller said:

I was asked to do this two years ago when I fell in with some theatre people.

I just love that phrasing, "Fell in with some theatre people"...

"That Tyler, he was on a good path, until he got mixed up with those performing arts folks..."

In regards to the question, sugar glass is what they usually use for any prop glass (bottles, windows, etc.)  It breaks like glass, with little chance of injury, and the ability to snack on the resulting pieces.

Archived