Purple Haze, Opps No Glaze

Darcy Kane

I know people hate this and I know I should be taking the time to test test test multiple glazes but truth is I don't have the time.  I had a dear friend ask me to make a run of mugs for her and glaze them purple (long story behind the request that I'm sure no one is interested in but, it is a heartfelt gift that she is giving a group of friends to honor a friend that passed away).  I don't have a purple glaze and this is going to be a one shot deal, so I am asking for a tried and true cone 6 oxidation glaze for white stoneware.  Shade of purple isn't important but it would be nice if it was food safe so I wouldn't need to use a liner glaze (which I do have if I must).  So if you have a good purple glaze I would appreciate the share so I can do this project for my friend in a timely fashion.  I dip and spray my glazes and usually mix my own but if it is necessary I would try a commercial glaze to get this project done.

Thank you all.  It had actually not occurred to me to use a commercial glaze.  I've never used on before but for this one project it is most likely the very best solution.  Also, thanks for the link, the grape should work out great.

d

Have  you looked at commercial glazes, I had a similar request for orange cups oxidation C6 food safe.  I found 3 different ones, picked my favorite they came out perfect.    Denice

http://www.midsouthceramics.com/product/362grape/

A friend gave me some of this and, on white clay, its . . . well, purple.

For such a small run a jar of commercial glaze would be enough, which means there is not a large batch volume to dunk into. You could spray, but the glazes are often thick in there consistencies so you would have to thin it to spray. Brushing is just the least complicated form of application.

spraying works fine with the glazes sold commercially if the sprayer is just a simple siphon style.  just turn up the pressure if you think you need to.

watering down glazes to spray them results in watery stuff running off the pot instead of glaze sticking and drying immediately.  if it is the first time you try it, the result will be the same as any other experiment, chancy.  spraying takes practice like any other technique.

• 2 weeks later...

Amaco has lilac (a pinkish purple) and amethyst (a darker eggplant purple). Verra nice but purples are pricey ($20-30 per pint). They're also food safe!

You can also buy Mason stains and add to a base glaze. I don't have details but that's what my local studio did....though the Mason stains are also expensive - $50 a pound!

Amaco one in Potters Choice called Smokey Merlot or PC57, I have used it and its only 10.50 or so a pint... You might want to look into their Celadon line of ^6 also...Sahara HF54 from Amaco is purple for about 16 bux, that line of glaze is very pretty...

Apply 3 coats of glaze with a brush.

T.

No, seriously!  I can't dip it or spray it??? 

Well, I was thinking that it would be a small jar of glaze like a pint. Of course a dipping application would be far more even, but I don't know how ypou would accomplish this.

TJR.

nancy S, if your studio tells you that mason stains are priced at $50 a pound they are incorrect.  each stain is made up of ingredients that could cost a great deal a pound but the resulting stain will not be as much.  are they asking you to pay that much for additional colors of glazes?

there are places that charge their members a single price to make everything easier.  sun city in florida used to charge members $5 a pound for clay.  all else, firing fees, glaze costs, etc were then covered.  maybe this is something similar.

check out the mason stain company website and ask for current prices. i just called them and their minimum order direct from the factory is for ten pounds.  that might be why someone could think  their prices are so high.  

the ceramic supply companies offer various prices and amounts.  check out a per pound price as buying anything smaller results in higher costs for labor.  

Axner sells a  lavender Mason stain for $4.43 per quarter pound.  Shipping would increase that, of course.

One thing to bear in mind is that some stains require a zinc-less glaze to develop a true color, but aside from that they are usually very reliable.

ray, i just looked at the axner website and found a purple mason stain on closeout for $9.25 a pound.  its normal price is $18.50 a pound.

of course, our original poster wanted to do something fast and that was over a month ago.  she must already have figured out and done what she needed.

nobody will get an answer since the title is not spelled correctly for a future search.  i think the intention was 'Purple Glaze" and so nobody will know to look for purple haze.

Actually Purple Haze was a play on words.  Perhaps you remember Jimmy Hendrix 

Anyways, yes I did find a commercial glaze (bought it in dry form) and will be using it next week to finish up the project.  I would like to thank all those that took the time to respond here and point me in the direction of commercial glazes.  I will let you all know how things turn out.  

nobody will get an answer since the title is not spelled correctly for a future search.  i think the intention was 'Purple Glaze" and so nobody will know to look for purple haze.

Well, "purple" and "glaze" are both in the title, so a good search engine will find it.

I remember Jimi.

Archived