#21 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:40 PM

I use MDF for all the table tops (yes, they have plenty of support underneath but I never added any linseed oil... do I have to?

MDF is not at all durable when it gets wet. It tends to bubble and delaminate. With several coats of linseed oil, it is much more resistant to water damage, while remaining fairly porous.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Kilns Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#22 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:30 AM

JUST FOUND MY ROLL OF TYVEK!  there was a 10 foot wide roll used on the last house i built and i stored the rest high up on the wall with other long things rarely used.  anyway, would someone like a piece to cover a table?  i can cut the correct size and send it in a mailing tube.  don't know about folding it, would the creases stay forever?  a long mailing tube would needed to cover your tabletop could be cut from empty fabric rolls.

leaving for florida about dec 3.  act fast.

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#23 Biglou13

Biglou13

Advanced beginner pottery, Advanced in other art

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationNorth Florida

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:10 AM

Old...
I don't need tyvek. But I live in Florida, and want to know more about the potters you know here. You should tour the Edgar plastic kaolin mine about hour south of Jax.
Caution big brother is watching.
The beige is blinding!!!!!!
The middle of the road is boring

The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
-Albert Einstein

#24 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:02 AM

my winter place is a tiny trailer in pinellas park, just west of tampa.  not in the right area for EPK.  there is the  Potters guild of florida's gulf coast here and of course the florida caraftsmen gallery.  check out the website for Tour de Clay happening this winter and you will be introduced to a number of fine potters.  the train station which has been converted to a wonderful clay facility and the newer group in the next block, the clay center.  Craftsman gallery on center street is a wonderful place to visit, have lunch, admire all the items available and buy something fabulous.  there is a community college in clearwater and the Dunedin (pronounced done eden) fine arts center both offer learning opportunities. this is such a haven for potters that if you stood on any corner and tossed a rock you would probably hit a potter.

all of these fine facilities and the zoning which allows my home to be a trailer on my own land are why i am in this part of florida, not somewhere else.

ST PETE COLLEGE IN CLEARWATER IS HAVING A STUDENT SALE THIS WEDNESDAY, DEC 4TH,  EVENING WITH LOTS OF GOOD FOOD AND A CHANCE TO MEET MARVELOUS POTTERS AND SEE A FIRST RATE FACILITY WITH ENTHUSIASTIC FACULTY AND STUDENTS.  I WON'T GET THERE IN TIME THIS YEAR BUT PAST YEARS HAVE BEEN TERRIFIC. 

"putting you down does not raise me up."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users