Why Earthenware?

potziller

just cuz.....hahaha actually stoneware is not stronger, and stoneware only vitrifes when you fire it to maturity otherwise its basically earthware with grog.. I know that Offcentre had an interesting post about this maybe he will chime in , tell me that i don't know what I am on about ;) and point you in the right direction..T

Hi folks,

Stoneware: it's stronger, less porous and far more commonly referenced as a potting material than earthenware - so why would i want to use an earthenware clay body?

V :)

attachicon.gifsundogred.jpg

When I saw the above nonsense, I thought Oh crap, here we go again, I gotta dig out the Pinnell MOR test results, etc., but thanks to Trina and Marcia I can go pick muscadines instead.

Jim

The porosity of earthenware is desirable in some cases such as in a desert water vessle: the evaporating water, through the process of evaopative cooling actually cools the water in the vessel. Terra cotta chicken roasters work well too if you soak them in water before cooking: they give of the moisture and add some steam to the cooking.

Clay Lover and Trina, I do, indeed, intend to make muscadine wine this year for the first time. I've had to drink a lot of wine to save up bottles.

Jim

that was your first mistake, you should have consumed an oak barrel of brandy to put the wine into. makes it taste way better, and don't let anyone put you off adding a bit of yeast to the mix, it makes for a better colour....T

Earthenware requires far less energy to fire,

so you save on electricity, you save on greenhouse gasses and you help save the planet.

Your kiln and kiln elements will last much longer with earthenware.

Many colours come out brighter for earthenware.

Bisque and glaze firing temperatures for earthenware are so close that you can sometimes combine green and glaze ware and in one firing.

Many potters fire stoneware by default, for no good reason. What a waste.

Just don't use tell folks it's good for microwave. The porosity allows water in the ware and will burn the stuffens out of your hand picking up a mug from the MW.(as will under fired stoneware)

Folks then think all pottery is not MW -able and their eyes glaze over when you tell them about all this stuff.

Wyndham

Just don't use tell folks it's good for microwave. The porosity allows water in the ware and will burn the stuffens out of your hand picking up a mug from the MW.(as will under fired stoneware)

Folks then think all pottery is not MW -able and their eyes glaze over when you tell them about all this stuff.

Wyndham

It depends on the body.  I have earthenware that I put in the microwave successfully; other low-fire bodies are completely no go.  Whites in particular will burn your fingers off.  It's necessary to test...a lot.

Hi folks,

Stoneware: it's stronger, less porous and far more commonly referenced as a potting material than earthenware - so why would i want to use an earthenware clay body?

V :)

attachicon.gifsundogred.jpg

When I saw the above nonsense, I thought Oh crap, here we go again, I gotta dig out the Pinnell MOR test results, etc., but thanks to Trina and Marcia I can go pick muscadines instead.

Jim

Well Jim, if you're just going to be rude, please don't bother replying.  And if I simple get folk using this forum to be rude and not answer questions, then tell me, what is the point of joining and using 'a forum'.  If you ain't got anything constructive to say,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,!

I doubt off center is being rude. This is actually an eye opener and Iv never known the difference, lets just say it wasnt covered in school.

Off Center no worries on using barrels. Please dont waste a good barrel on Muscadine wine. Add some good brew yeast and kick up the sugar level for at least 12% but make sure you will leave it sweet. Dry muscadine wine is not so pleasant unless made really well. Hope youre first brew season goes well!

I doubt off center is being rude. This is actually an eye opener and Iv never known the difference, lets just say it wasnt covered in school.

Off Center no worries on using barrels. Please dont waste a good barrel on Muscadine wine. Add some good brew yeast and kick up the sugar level for at least 12% but make sure you will leave it sweet. Dry muscadine wine is not so pleasant unless made really well. Hope youre first brew season goes well!

Well MMB, it comes over as rude (that's why emoticons were devised - to clarify), but I guess only OC can really answer that one!  It's certainly rude / off-hand to make that comment then 'chat' about one's one wine making!  That's just taking / talking over someone else.  Wouldn't put up with that in a real time situation - won't put up with it in a forum!    

Archived