Adding A Photo With This New Software-Its Easy & Attaching An Image (Combined)

mark,

That thumbnail is 2.91 k. If you make them closer to 50 k, they can be much bigger than that. Dharsi's dog bowl was

129 k and went off the page when opened. This one is 43 k. It opens to a viewable size.

Marcia

Marcia, what's that red glaze? (and clay, etc.) Probably reduction, etc...so not possible in electric?  Love the pot!

That is a foil saggar fired piece with ferric chloride, copper chloride, sugar and silver nitrate crystals.

Marcia

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

trying again, the 14 year old who is here trying to help, cant make it work either. It is telling me that the picture size needs to be under 1.23KB which is an impossible size for a picture as the average small sized picture is 20-30KB. We were putting 50kb sized pictures on the site before, but it is now limiting us to impossibly sized pictures.

Whats up 

OKAY!!!  we have smoked out an expert!!!     How did you do this?  step by step.  so even i can understand.   why does the software tell me that the file is too big?  there have not been other pictures posted since the 17th.  unless i didn't find them when i looked.  did the site run out of storage space?  did I?

( the uncommon darter is beautiful)

I'm no expert, if it's working it's working, instructions are in the 1st post but I'll try and simplify it again here:

Use the reply box at the bottom of the page - and use "more reply options"

Have the photo at a sensible size both in pixels and kb (and it helps if you know where it is on your PC)

Click "browse" below the reply box

Navigate to the pic you want on your PC and click on "open"

Now click on "attach this file" (next to this you'll find displayed how much space you have left).

Once the file has uploaded you'll see a tiny thumbnail of it - to the right of that click on "add to post"

That's it.

Emerald Damselfly.

post-7271-0-60884200-1374318331_thumb.jpg

post-7271-0-60884200-1374318331_thumb.jpg

thanks again. some of the things i do not know include dumb stuff like "I have pictures in Kodak easy share and Picasa 3 how can i resize them". neither of them seems to work. my daughter used "Paint" to resize the picture that became my avatar and the ones about the glaze recipe. THEY WERE RESIZED TO APPROX 50 KB. so when i tried yesterday, my neighbor resized the new ones to successively smaller sizes and nothing worked.

i have others stored in my computer but yesterday they would not work at all because when i used the "More reply options", then chose "choose file" resulted in the message that my picture was too big, being more than 1.26 KB. that is ONE POINT TWO SIX KB. only ONE though last week i posted one at 62+ something. your message above says there is another option, called "browse" which i have not seen before. i do not know how to navigate to anything but desktop (to get pictures i just stored there) and i cannot see which picture is being posted. there is no choice "open" that i have found.

i thought i may have been interfering with something being done to the website at the time, late afternoon on a friday.

then your beautiful picture came up. and now you have put another even more beautiful one. how can i get a print of it?

I don't really know where to go next with this, I know roughly how to use my PC but other than that I'm certainly no computer expert.

If the figures you're getting are correct then I really have no idea what the problem is, the last two pics I posted were approximately 150kb and went up without a hitch.

The number of kb relates to the quality of the pic, (more is better quality but generally unrealistic and unnecessary for a forum) there is another size to take into account and that is the number of pixels which relates to the actual size displayed on the monitor, I usually reduce my pics to 1024 X768; the pics that you posted previously were smaller than that so as long as the ones you are currently unable to post are no larger they should be OK.

We may well be using different web browsers (I'm using Firefox) but when I click on *Browse* a window opens up which allows me to search all the files on my PC for whichever pic I want, this window contains the command *open* for when I've selected the pic.This (below) is my "Netpics" folder, each yellow folder contains many pictures, I just navigate through them until I find the right pic and then use the *Open* command to bring it to the box next to the *browse * button - it's much harder to write it than it is to do.

post-7271-0-05914000-1374437780_thumb.jpg

Is your desktop not very cluttered with pictures stored there? If you right click with the mouse and select "New" and then "Folder" you will create a new folder and can rename it as whatever you want and save pictures direct to that folder, you can make as many folders as you like - you could also open your C drive and make new folders in there and keep them off the desktop altogether.

To print a pic from the web - open it to it's full size and then right click on the pic with your mouse and select "Save Image as"  - a window will open inviting you to save it - where is up to you, maybe in one of those new folders:   you're more than welcome to a higher resolution copy if you want one (I'd have to email that to you direct).

post-7271-0-05914000-1374437780_thumb.jpg

There's a how to  "sticky " at the top of this forum - but basically , use the full reply box.

I can see an image icon in this reply box, it asks for a URL - presumably for if you have photos stored on Flickr or Photobucket or similar. - Testing that now.

Yep, that worksIMG_8800-c-r-f.jpg

I don't know about your computers, but on my HP-PC the thumbnails are great size and if I need to see more detail (like Marcia's--looks good enough to eat!) I hold CTRL key and press plus(+) key on the numeric part of keyboard.  I can make it any size needed.  Too often, I forget to then use CTRL and minus key to get the print back to size. 

Shirley

thanks all of you.  will try all these suggestions if i get through tomorrow.  

ayjay, i saw a (sorry i call all of them dragonflies) one near a canal in florida and it was a lovely solid crimson.  any idea what it was?

ayjay, i saw a (sorry i call all of them dragonflies) one near a canal in florida and it was a lovely solid crimson.  any idea what it was?

No, not really! (but Crimson Marsh Glider Trithemis aurora is a possibility.)

Sorry, but in the USA there are hundreds of different species compared to our paltry fifty or so possibilities in the UK.  Many of them will be a different colour depending on if they are male or female and some change colour as they mature, the Common darter in my photo above for example is a young male and will be quite a bright red when it's mature.

I don't have a deep knowledge of them:  birdwatching goes a little quiet in the summer so Dragons take over, (they're much easier to photograph than birds, and it gets me out in the New Forest), they are nonetheless fascinating creatures each with their own slightly different breeding, feeding and survival strategy - they also pre-date dinosaurs, in those days there were some huge dragonflies around with  wingspans of up to 30 inches.

I hate to get folks into more than they are used to, but in this case maybe some more about resizing & saving digital images. If you use any of the photoshop famiy(Photoshop or Photoshop Elements) or The Gimp(open source free download), these features can be easily found. Find the menu item on image size usually under the main header-image. Here you will find a window indicating imagpe heiight and widoth and image density. You may not be familiar pwitph the size descriptors but there is a drop down list to change to standard or metric. The image density also may be changped-for most images here-80 should be fine. By changing these 3 attributes you should be able to manipulate your image size. One more thing-the little chain or lock icon connecting width to height means whn one measurement is chaged the other will change proportionally. Don"t turn this off by clicking on it unless of course you want to have some fun!

As to saving, I usually save these types of images as jpeg's with moderate to high resolution. Re-editing a jpeg more than once is bad as something is lost evertime saved. I never save over an original as I might need a much higher resolution image for juries or archive. I save these as RAW or TIFF format. So save your forum image as jpeg with moderate to low compression under a new name than the original. Hope this helps.

if you understand photobucket, please talk to me.  i tried to post photos of my house so i could sell it.  photobucket took my carefully captioned and ordered photos and tossed them into the air so the first picture anyone sees is one of the bathrooms.

if you understand photobucket, please talk to me.  i tried to post photos of my house so i could sell it.  photobucket took my carefully captioned and ordered photos and tossed them into the air so the first picture anyone sees is one of the bathrooms.

I don't know photobucket but I went to their website and searched the help section and they have a possible answer to your question about photo sorting. Here is a link to their answer:

http://support.photobucket.com/entries/21424439-How-are-my-images-sorted-on-Photobucket-

I hope that helps if not give me a call and I'll see what I can do to walk you through the steps suggested to ge the photos in the order you want.

Terry

I've mostly used Photobubucket to host larger images that I can subsequently direct link on another site (like this one). Although I know that you can set up albums and such in Photobucket, I've never tried to use it as a direct portal. The images are arranged in the order that I post them.

• 2 months later...

thank you, mart. i do not know how to get the picture to the point where it will fit on here. they always come out too big. they are in picasa and i need to make them fit.

how did you get that nice picture of your screen with the red circle?

I use ksnapshot and then edit in GIMP(The GNU Image Manipulation Program)

If your images are in Picasa, you can probably resize your images and then download the smaller ones.

If it's not possible in Picasa, use something like http://www.picresize.com/ etc (see https://www.google.com/search?q=resize)

• 1 month later...

It is really easy. But you should reduce the size of the jpg to 72 dpi and not larger than 50k.

I have removed early pictures because my allotted space was 80% used up and I keep the jpgs small.

marcia

DPI affect only how your image is printed so you do not really need to mess around with this parameter.

What people need to do, is to decrease the width and height (measured in pixels, forget "mm" or "inches")

Modern monitor resolutions are usually 1024x768 pixels and more. Lets be correct and not call it monitor size but monitors resolution. ;) If your image is 4000x3000 pixels, less than 1/4 of your image will fit on my screen, unless I use "zoom out" or or something similar.

Mos cameras save images in various sizes (resolution), from tiny 640x480 (you do not want that!) to 4000x3000 (12 megapixels and way above that) My camera can spit out images at 4752×3168 (15.1 megapixels) and 20+ MB a pop if RAW is used. Those need to be resized to manageable resolution.

For forums, web sites and e-mails, I like to stay below 800x? What I mean by that, my image width is usually 800 or less pixels. This can be linked to larger image but usually this is not necessary.

There are tons of simple image management and altering applications for Linux, Mac and Windows.

I personally use DigiKam for image management (organizing) and also for quick modifications.

For more complex manipulations, GIMP will do the trick. (I use only Linux. I can not help you with any Microsoft Windows or Apple only products (aka DRM infected crapware).

For most of you it's probably really annoying that this simple function, re-size a image, is not available in this forum software.

Do be hones, currently available "More Options"->"Browse"->"Attach File"->"Add to post" work-flow is also unintuitive and cumbersome. "Browse"->"Add to post" should be enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived