Pugmill shopping

I will likely be purchasing a pugmill in the next few weeks. I've used a 3" Venco and like that machine, but it may be too pricy for me. I'm currently using a Bailey and I'm not a big fan, but it may just be set too high (my main complaint is the work it takes to pull the lever down). I've also used a small Bluebird and that isn't an option at all. The Peter Puggers look way over priced. I don't know anything about the Axner or the Shimpo. Does anyone have any recommendations or suggested bullet points to take into consideration?

Joel.

I will likely be purchasing a pugmill in the next few weeks. I've used a 3" Venco and like that machine, but it may be too pricy for me. I'm currently using a Bailey and I'm not a big fan, but it may just be set too high (my main complaint is the work it takes to pull the lever down). I've also used a small Bluebird and that isn't an option at all. The Peter Puggers look way over priced. I don't know anything about the Axner or the Shimpo. Does anyone have any recommendations or suggested bullet points to take into consideration?

Joel.

I know that the N series from shimpo are still made in japan and are of good quality. I have used the NRA04 and like it alright--easy to use, clean, and break down. Seems to pug and de-air well. Stay clear of the PM/PMX series, they are made elsewhere (china, I believe) and as such, they only carry a one year warranty (the n series have a 5 year). I know nothing about the axner machines, I have a friend in the keys who has one and he seems happy with it--reclaims tons a year through it. Ill check with him for some specifics.

also, where are you located? Used might be an option, if you're willing to be patient.

http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/auction/view?auc=920083

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PUG-Mill-/221231558283?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33826dae8b

I suggest calling Peter pugger-they sometimes have good deals on used or refirbished mills and also can send you to a small discount dealer (shipped direct-unknown to most) for new stuff .

I think they are the best puggers made on this side of the pond.That said I'm not a pug user with porcelain.

Mark

i have a bailey too, and i did not realize that the one i got pugs a smaller diameter than the original bailey i sold to a friend. the later models also can be used to extrude. jim bailey told me that mine would not do that. check all features. those of you who are strong and not afraid to break stuff will see that taking one apart to clean it is not so hard. i have to get someone to help with mine. if mine were used all year round it would not need cleaning at all. i hang from the handle when working with stiffer clay and i am a substantial person.

Joel.

I bought a Shimpo 4 years ago and it serves me well with my stoneware clay. The handle to pull down on came facing where the clay came out. I found that having it placed in that direction did not have the best leverage, so I just easily unbolted it, rotated it and reattached so it faces the side.

I am thinking about purchasing an extrusion dye that attaches easily for coils.

When it was delivered, I had to hire a big strong man to pick it up (even unassembled) off the floor and put on my reinforced table. I was 51 at the time, and you may have a stronger physique.

If I had to do it over again, I would have spent the extra $$ and gotten the stainless steel version. I did not know at the time that porcelain gets aluminum stains from sitting in an aluminum chamber.

I have an Axner, and I really like it. Having not experienced any other options except the one at school (which was likely an old Walker or the like), I can't offer comparisons. But I've used it, for a couple of years now, and I love it. I've torn it down and cleaned it once.

Alice

P P is more pricy, but VERY well made. and made in U S. thsat was imp to me, so parts ,if needed, will be easier to get. many good features, and will extrude. Call and talk to the tech rep. Oh, yes, glad I got the SS, more $$$, but no issues with any clay and storage in barrel for LONG time.

Hmmm. The other (similar) thread about pugmills puzzled me, and now this one. What do you mean about pulling the lever down? I have a Peter Pugger (and love it!) and can't picture a lever that needs a lot of leverage. Am I missing something, or is this something that only affects other brands?

The other thread also seemed concerned about leaving clay in the machine and having it dry up. I've had my Peter Pugger for ten years, and the only time I've taken it apart or cleaned it was when I changed clays (once) and when I was waiting for the new studio to be finished. That was over two years and I didn't put any sponges in various openings, so the clay did get dry enough to require a clean out. I have the VPM-20, which used to be their smallest--now they have the VPM-9 (which I wish I had instead). If you are working with porcelain, you'll need the stainless steel version.

Shirley

Archived