#1 Rebekah Krieger

Rebekah Krieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:54 AM

Ok- This issue is simple but has given me the MOST Grief!!! I cannot for the life of me get a pot to stay still for trimming. I have used wedges of clay on opposite sides (4) and sometimes crack the rim trying to press them down. And if I don't crack the rim, They get loose with spinning and my trimming starts to get all screwed up. I have seen a potter on youtube "wet" the wheel and "whack" the bottom of the bowl to create adhesian- which sometimes helps a little. I cannot for the life of me figure out what I am doing wrong. If I could solve my trimming issues, I would be a much happier potter.

Please If you can include a photo of your technique It would help!
Learning On my Kick wheel with my vintage Paragon (from the late 1960's)

#2 ayjay

ayjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:28 AM

I have seen a potter on youtube "wet" the wheel and "whack" the bottom of the bowl to create adhesian- which sometimes helps a little.

I was taught to make a clay chuck for trimming pots, I find that a little laborious and now use the wet the wheel and whack it on technique - it's not quite that simple though - the wheel has to be just damp not wet - if it's wet the pot slides around - I then damp the rim of the pot with a sponge and carefully position it centrally - a firm push downwards will usually lock it in place.

Occasionally a pot will fly off - it's OK to swear when that happens - but with practice it happens less often.

#3 Rebekah Krieger

Rebekah Krieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

I have seen a potter on youtube "wet" the wheel and "whack" the bottom of the bowl to create adhesian- which sometimes helps a little.

I was taught to make a clay chuck for trimming pots, I find that a little laborious and now use the wet the wheel and whack it on technique - it's not quite that simple though - the wheel has to be just damp not wet - if it's wet the pot slides around - I then damp the rim of the pot with a sponge and carefully position it centrally - a firm push downwards will usually lock it in place.

Occasionally a pot will fly off - it's OK to swear when that happens - but with practice it happens less often.

I get nervous that I am going to ruin the rim when I "whack" it.

#4 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

If you are cracking your rims you are trimming to dry
Wetting the wheel head is best done if you can tap pots on center-(do a search on this)
When you push down on the clay balls do not push much on the rims-a little water sprayed on rim/wheel head helps stick them down
I suggest you master this with 30 cereal bowls when you finish the 30th one you will have it down.
Mark
Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#5 Rebekah Krieger

Rebekah Krieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

Wetting the wheel head is best done if you can tap pots on center-(do a search on this)
When you push down on the clay balls do not push much on the rims-a little water sprayed on rim/wheel head helps stick them down
I suggest you master this with 30 cereal bowls when you finish the 30th one you will have it down.
Mark

I was suspicious of this. -

#6 GEP

GEP

Moderator / full time potter ^6 stoneware

• Moderators
  • 892 posts
  • LocationSilver Spring, MD

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

Agreed. Your pots are probably too dry. Also, pots that are too dry take a lot longer to trim. The longer you trim them, the more likely they will work themselves loose frrom their wads.

My suggestions:

Trim pots when they are a little softer.

If you must trim them when they are too dry (we can't always get to them in time), rather than wads, use a coil of clay to encircle and attach the rim to the wheelhead. The coil will hold the pot in place longer than wads.

Cut a small circle out of an old credit card. Place the circle on top (really the bottom) of your pot while trimming, so you can use your finger to hold the pot down. The plastic allows your finger to spin freely.

Mea
Mea Rhee
Good Elephant Pottery
http://www.goodelephant.com

#7 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

I never use wads to hold my pots down, just pressure with the left hand. To keep from pushing through the bottom of the pot with said pressure, I put a Snapple lid on the pot (upside down) to distribute the pressure over a larger area. Combined with lugs the pot should never move.

If the lip of you pot is not even, trimming is much more difficult. Even out the lip of every pot with your needle tool while throwing.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Kilns Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#8 GEP

GEP

• Moderators
  • 892 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:46 PM

I hereby retract my "cut a circle out of a credit card" advice, because the Snapple lid is a much better idea.

Mea
Mea Rhee
Good Elephant Pottery

#9 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

I'm surprised no one suggested a Griffin Grip! The last time it was discussed here I was the only one who thought it was a waste of money. I still think they are for an experienced potter, but if you're a beginner it (or the better versions by Bailey) may be just what you need.

Jim
E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#10 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

I'm surprised no one suggested a Griffin Grip! The last time it was discussed here I was the only one who thought it was a waste of money. I still think they are for an experienced potter, but if you're a beginner it (or the better versions by Bailey) may be just what you need.

Jim

I consider the Giffin Grip to be a substitute for skill. If you start using one you will never learn how to trim without one. They are not allowed in my studio.Posted Image

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Kilns Distributor

#11 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

I hereby retract my "cut a circle out of a credit card" advice, because the Snapple lid is a much better idea.

Mea

Thanks! Baby food jar lids work well, too. Anything that doesn't have a jagged serrated edge. For larger pots I use mayonnaise lids or pint/gallon jar lids.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Kilns Distributor

#12 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

Jim

I consider the Giffin Grip to be a substitute for skill. If you start using one you will never learn how to trim without one. They are not allowed in my studio.Posted Image

Good for you. Obviously everyone doesn't agree with me and Neil. Look at this thread http://ceramicartsda...__fromsearch__1 and this one http://ceramicartsda...__fromsearch__1

Jim
E pur si muove.

#13 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

Jim

Good for you. Obviously everyone doesn't agree with me and Neil. Look at this thread http://ceramicartsda...__fromsearch__1

Jim

If God wanted us to use a Giffin Grip, he would have made it fit a regular splash pan.Posted Image

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Kilns Distributor

#14 GEP

GEP

• Moderators
  • 892 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:13 PM

Jim

Good for you. Obviously everyone doesn't agree with me and Neil. Look at this thread http://ceramicartsda...__fromsearch__1 and this one http://ceramicartsda...__fromsearch__1

Jim

I am one who loves the giffin grip, although it's probably true that I'll never learn to trim without one now.

I did not suggest it to OP because it would not have answered her question. It holds pots in place about as well as wads.

Mea
Mea Rhee
Good Elephant Pottery

#15 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:28 PM

I think the Giffen is not a tool for new to pottery students as you need to learn all the skills-I am a huge believer in learning all the skills
Learning to tap on center -stick pots to a wet wheel head using clay to hold the pot down those are skills you need to work on not a device that does it for you

Like in new to driving driving a automatic makes one never learn about stick shift
For me the Giffen is a production tool like the wheel or power slab roller or car kiln

One first needs to master all the basics before moving ahead and really most never need to trim that much in life.
Mark
Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#16 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

Jim

Good for you. Obviously everyone doesn't agree with me and Neil. Look at this thread http://ceramicartsda...__fromsearch__1

Jim

If God wanted us to use a Giffin Grip, he would have made it fit a regular splash pan.Posted Image

And, as Abraham Lincoln said after the fall of Vicksburg: "The only thing more worthless than a Griffin Grip is a splash pan."

Jim
E pur si muove.

#17 Rebekah Krieger

Rebekah Krieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

LOL- I didn't know this thread would become entertainment ;)

I have never heard of griffin grip. My pots do seem pretty dry and I tend to spray them with a spray bottle a lot to moisten them up. I think the reason I am trimming dry is because in the class I learned pottery It was always once per week and although they were covered in plastic, my pots dried out more than everyone else's because I tend to make things on the thin side. So I learned incorrectly by default.

Thanks!! :)

#18 Claypple

Claypple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:29 PM

Jim

There is a cheaper thing than the Griffin wheel. Spend $3-4 and buy magnet blocks.
They will stick to the metal wheel like a rock. Here is the one from Harber freight tools:

http://www.harborfre...ocks-98406.html

I am sorry John225, but we you do not even have to build anything around those magnets. Just use them as they are.

#19 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

"And, as Abraham Lincoln said after the fall of Vicksburg: 'The only thing more worthless than a Griffin Grip is a splash pan.'"

I couldn't find the source of this quote. Was this from the undocumented portions of his life, along with his time as a vampire hunter?

I learned to trim, via the tap center method. I had never heard of a Giffin Grip, until my second teaching job, where the previous instructor had one. I had the students use it there, and I just bought one for my current classroom. The reason for both is time. Realistically, with everything I have to cover, in the small amount of time I have, I just can't teach the students how to tap center properly. I go over it with them, but as I said, there just isn't time. With only one class that focuses on clay, I honestly can't devote the amount of time to simply making something on the potter's wheel that I'd like, let alone trimming.

I understand, the distaste for the device, but it does have its place.
"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#20 Claypple

Claypple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

These are the magnetic blocks I was talking about:

Attached File  100_1850.JPG   664.44KB   18 downloads

You can wrap them with some soft material if desired.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users