#61 Rebekah Krieger

Rebekah Krieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

I had a kiln repair done recently, the guy who did it regaled me with a tale of a school who had re-sited a kiln and wanted him to wire it up - initially he refused cos it was a large front loader (probably half a ton at least) and it was in the middle of a room on the first floor, no-one had any idea if the floor was safe or not - eventually the kiln was moved to a safe spot and wired up - a few days later he got a call to say that there was a lot of smoke issuing from the kiln - once it had cooled enough to inspect he found a large quantity of ash in there - the pottery dept had asked the woodwork dept to make them some new kiln shelves - they made them from plywood.:lol:src="http://ceramicartsda...ult/laugh.gif">

This is so funny!!! LOLOLOL!!!
Learning On my Kick wheel with my vintage Paragon (from the late 1960's)

#62 Rebekah Krieger

Rebekah Krieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:06 AM

And just for the record... I am reading and taking notes - because what may seem bone headed to an experienced potter is an easy oversight to a new one like myself!! Posted Image
Learning On my Kick wheel with my vintage Paragon (from the late 1960's)

#63 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 1,883 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

The post about the artist who dumped wax resist on a kiln shelf got me thinking. What have you seen in your time either from yourself, students or colleagues that you would classify as a really dumb mistake. I know we have all done them.
I was the clay tech at my former art school. A student actually took an electric skill saw[circular saw], and while cutting a board, cut the end off the table. Not through the middle, just a foot off the end. When I asked him "why", he said; "I thought it was really tough going to cut that board."
I am attempting to go for humour here, as in Three Stooges. Not to humiliate anyone, so, no names please, just your own.
TJR.

Introduced myself to the professor of my first grad class in ceramics at Penn State. First day of class, no idea of how a Brent C worked as I had always thrown on kick wheels. Put my full bucket of water on the wheel platform, 10lbs of clay, tools all arranged. Put the clay on the wheel, pushed foot all the way down on the pedal-prof-Stevenson, was walking around, The clay went flying hit the bucket, and the whole thing landed on his pants and shoes. I shrank the rest of the summer. . . .

I know Jim Stevenson. And Dave Dontigney. funny.
I had Dave Dontigney's nephew in my classes in Montana. Both Jim and Dave are Montanans.
Marcia

Neat potters, but my favorite at the school came later when Ron Gallas was there for a summer.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users