Would stuff like this sell?

Yeah, but maybe not for a price that would make all that work worth it.  There is always someone who will buy something, the problem is finding that person.  Making something more accessible to more people will increase those odds.  Ways to bring the cost of building it down to a point that is fair to you would be to throw the pot and lid and add the sculpture after.

Mugs, bowls, spoon rests, soap dishes.  I added sake carafes and pitchers to help break up the monotony. I've made a bunch of lidded jars but I'm the only one who seems interested by them haha.  Maybe some nice vases or something would be fun to throw as well.  

I never get tired of throwing mugs, but I do get tired of pulling and attaching handles.  I've started pulling handles for an hour or so and just stockpiling them in a wet box so I can attach them when the mugs are ready.

Will it sell? Absolutely. 

Will those exclusively pay the bills? That depends more on your business ability and your production skills than your creative talent. The price you can set will depend on who you put it in front of, and that's a matter of marketing.

Should you make them anyways? Heck yes.  

I have the opposite problem. I love to make all the little, everyday things. I lost sales last year because I neglected my stock of high end/precious items. 

I can’t recommend anyone recreating copyrighted material with the intent to sell. It will eventually lead to legal problems for you should it come to the attention of the copyright holder. Disney takes a very dim view of anyone making unauthorized merch, and actively shuts down a lot of Etsy shops that violate copyright laws.

If you’re staying within the bounds of the law and creating items that are your own characters, again it’s a matter of putting them in front of people who both like that thing and have the money to buy it. 

I heard of a story, where Disney went after a daycare, who had some of their characters painted on their walls.  A daycare!  Disney didn't want anyone to think, that the daycare was in any way associated with them. 

I would be less critical of the company, but these are the same people, who have made a lot of money on movies, based on old stories/ fairy tales, that they just slightly modified. 

But regardless, I try and emphasize the idea of "Original Work" with my students.  With the exception of a Pop Art project, I don't allow copyright material on any of my projects. 

I should note, that while it is good to stay away from copyrighted material, there is a huuuuuuge amount of public domain material.  You mentioned dragons.  No one has the rights to the depiction of a dragon.  Specific dragons, yes, but as a creature on its own, nope.  So feel free to make items, with generic dragons, or those that you made up yourself, and you'd be fine.  There are a lot more mythological creatures, where the same is true.    With all that stuff, go nuts!

1 minute ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

The jars you've made look to be about the size of a sugar jar. I don't have any trouble getting rid of about 2 dozen of those a year or so. Maybe not a huge seller, but worth making a few at least. 

Awesome Callie thanks! I'll try to sell them as sugar jars that's a great idea. I've made 6 so far maybe I'll make 10 and see how it goes. There's a local show here in April for a test. 

Stay away from Disney,  this happened 36 years ago when my son was  2 years old.   I put him in a daycare to socialize him,  he worked at my store with me  since birth but needed to play with other children.   The daycare had a large room  painted with Disney characters,  I don't know how Disney found out about it but they sent a letter and told them to paint over them or they would sue them.  This was a private daycare facility that had around 15 children and at least 10 years before their was the internet.   Denice

My partner makes a number of higher end pieces blended into the inventory and they do sell but slowly and that's OK. They take longer to make and she charges accordingly. Fact is the entire line-up is that way. Fast selling items tend to be the lower priced pots and those sales coupled with the slower moving more expensive pots works great and it allows her to spend some of her time having fun and making more creative pots. it's just a balance, that's all.

Items sell well then stop-Its impossible to know what the public will do sales wise.

Soup tureens sold well for decades then they quit-just like that. Covered jars where hot then slowed to a crawl.You just never know.

I still have one soup turteen I would love to sell-I sold one this xmas as a mark down. I have not made any in 5 years now-have one left in a slow selling color.I will bring it out next xmas,

I always try to keep at few larger cookie jars around but they move very slowly.

8 minutes ago, Min said:

Around here if you call a large cookie jar a greenwaste bin for kitchen trimmings they sell. 

People buy them for this as wellThey have for decades around here-I never tell anyone what they can do with a pot -they figure it out-unless thay ask what it is.

My main point is pots come and go in trends that are impossible to predict. 

What is easier is making stuff that everyone uses daily-mugs-small stuff ,that idea is always popular and is trend proof.

More on the point of what sells at different locations-Up north you sell lots of yarn bowls ,down here very few use yarn and yarn bowls. 

I'm guess is it  has more to do with being shut in1/3 to  1/2 the year with blizzards and snow than other factors but it also may have to do with the fact that folks do not sew or make or repair clothing like they used do down here in the lower 48..My pincushion sales showed this trend very well disappear . Use to sell hundreds of them years ago the bottom fell out as no one made or repaired clothing anymore. It may also be that this trend has not yet reached your areas yet. 

Its sad as we humuns need theses skills-you cannot fix a button with your smart phone.

Archived