Hate sieving glaze? DIY rotary sieve

37 minutes ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

I like Liam’s method as a relatively low tech, less specialty equipment soloution to the problem. Glaze day usually doesn’t sneak up on me as a surprise, so weighing my ingredients out and allowing them to slake overnight and sieving the next day is actually a more efficient use of my time. 20 minutes of hands on work including cleanup to prep a glaze makes more sense than standing over 7kg of materials with a drill mixer in hand for 80 minutes. I think I know one potter in person that owns a wall mounted blunger that they can walk away from while it works. All the other ones I’ve encountered are in institutions. 

Yep. We had a wall mounted blunger in grad school. You could mix up 35 gallons and just let it run for a few hours. Good stuff. When I worked for A.R.T. Clay we had a big tank that held about 1,000 gallons of low-fire clear glaze that we would add colorants to for producing the entire line of 40ish colors. That tank had a blunder mounted to it, and we just kept it running all day. When a new batch was mixed, it took several hours of mixing to get it smoothed out. We were pretty low tech, though, and after adding stains we would screen the glaze to get any lumps out of the stains. When I left, we were looking into get a high speed batch mixer that could replace sieving and get it smooth in a very short period, kind of like an industrial blender that could do 5 gallon buckets.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing is it drops over all my bucket-5 to 20 gallons-no sticks no mesh

Your setup is great for you but I make lots of glaze almost every week. I buy one glaze dry mixed to my formula in 1 ton dry lots. The TalismanSieve is part of that bigger picture.

Your setup works for most on this forum . Small users-I was once  one of them

My setup is only for heavy users-Just telling folks if you get a Talisman you need the rest of the setup  to make it work smooth.

Your setup would cost me to much time.I do use 4 drills already every glaze day-two 1/2 inch with different mixer heads and two cordless with smaller jiffy mixers on them. I spend zero time changing drill components -easier to have the 4 setup.

Most only need one drill-just a differet user here.

I made my post on the seive as I did not know there have been so many unhappy users-your setup should help them  a lot.

I guess I don't understand what makes the drill brush unsuitable for heavy users?  It's faster than a talisman, easier to clean, and yeah it uses a drill, but it's not that hard to switch bits.  If you already own a talisman probably use that for sure, this isn't a replacement for a talisman, just a cheap workaround that ended up being way nicer than I thought

I think this is like the Giffen Grip either you love it or hate it or do not understand it?

You can shove way more fluid in a talisman than any otherf seive I have seen faster-I can pour about two plus gallon s then sieve and then pour the rest in a few moments-all my other sieves -either metal or plastic yolu can only pour smaller amouts in. Yes the drillbrush mosves it thru fast but you need your hand free vs the one hand on the talisman handle the other is pouring 10,000 gram batch-maybe 1 minute you are done.

2 hours ago, Mark C. said:

I think this is like the Giffen Grip either you love it or hate it or do not understand it?

You can shove way more fluid in a talisman than any otherf seive I have seen faster-I can pour about two plus gallon s then sieve and then pour the rest in a few moments-all my other sieves -either metal or plastic yolu can only pour smaller amouts in. Yes the drillbrush mosves it thru fast but you need your hand free vs the one hand on the talisman handle the other is pouring 10,000 gram batch-maybe 1 minute you are done.

Euclids sieves are 14 inch ID (talisman is 16 inch OD) and the same depth so I'd say the volume you can put in each one is fairly similar.  The talisman would probably last a lot longer, the euclids ones are pretty thin plastic (what you'd expect for 12 bucks).  I have a few talisman test sieves and they're nice build quality, so I imagine the rotary sieve is just as beefy

By all measures I think your idea a great one for most folks here. 

The reason I chined in about the Talisman was reading a few post about no likeing it.I had heard its to big and hard to clean. 

Its a sink issue usually I have found.

I'm with Min, thanks for sharing 

This thread has made me think hard about sieving. I go through a lot of glaze these days, and sieving has become very cumbersome timewise. Unlike @Callie Beller Diesel, sometimes glazemaking does sneak up on me! So annoying to sit down for a day of glazing, only to open a bucket and say “oh [bleep].” It sets back my whole day. 

@liambesaw‘s idea of putting a brush head on a power drill is very intriguing. But ultimately I decided that the lowest speed on my power drill is still too fast. Plus my sieve that fits a 5 gallon bucket is pretty shallow, it holds maybe a half-gallon at a time. The idea of a shallow sieve combined with a power tool has me visualizing large horizontal splatters of glaze across my studio. 

I was sold by @Mark C.‘s comment that the Talisman holds 2 gallons. I ordered one this morning. I like the idea of the high volume, combined with the controlled hand cranking. As for cleaning it, I don’t have a wide and shallow sink. I don’t think my household drain could handle this much glaze anyways. So my plan is to take it out on the patio and clean it with the garden hose. 

Had a talisman for life it seems..replaced sieve once...partner used it to sieve sthing agricultural....

He bought it as a present so cant complain..got the replacement sieve promptly also.

Great idea re. Separate brushes GEP.

Will order

I love my talisman stable, sturdy and efficient.

Also a hater of power tools..love my qiet talisman.

Cleaning no issue

10 hours ago, Min said:

@GEP, one thing I do with my Talisman that saves a bit of cleaning time is use separate brushes for high iron glazes. (I use a lot of white glaze and can't have the glaze contaminated from iron left in the bristles of the brushes)  

Aha, so the brushes come off easily? I may not need the garden hose after all. (which is good on a day like today -5°F wind chill)

2 hours ago, GEP said:

Aha, so the brushes come off easily? I may not need the garden hose after all. (which is good on a day like today -5°F wind chill)

Yes, they are in tracks and slide out. Just pop the screen out, flip the sieve over and push the brush arms through the opening and slide them out.  I have a deep laundry sink to wash mine in. It is a bit awkward but it's doable. I find getting the brushes clean is what takes the most time, by having separate ones for light and dark glazes it cuts down on the main part of the cleaning time for me. You can get extra or replacement brushes, they are really quite stiff and take me years to wear out. The support on the frame will fit across your blue bin of glaze so I can see that being helpful for you too.

IMG_2650.jpg.f8e79d398dee6eeda244ab2c25f97447.jpg

I do mine in a bucket.

Flip sieve out handle and brushes fescend into bucket of watet below.Swish brushes around for a bit.

Slide btushes out , rub agaonst each other and ronse in bucket ..reassrmble andcawah you go. Not long at all!

Hose handy but cloth and tap sufficient and efficient.

Yay talisman. Aptly named

I have worn out maybe three sets of brushes and a few screens. I keep the brushes and screens in stock in studio.I use an 80 the most.The center bearing sleeve which is plastic I have worn thru several as well. You can justs ake one from a piece of hardware store tubing.I seem to get about 10 years from one of the bushings.I bought my aluminum one in the late 80,s or early 90s and its still working fine (right now it needs anew bushing)

I bought some spare brushes and bearing sleeves when I was in NZ at the factory in 1997. Thats near Wellington also close to the Hobbit movie sets. but back then that was not even an idea yet.

I injured a screen once when a piece of broken bisque was in my bucket and I did not see it.

In my tall faucet sink this thing cleans up fast.Never had a screen leakage around as others have had. The screen seems to stay put. I keep my two of them hanging off a beam on a long nail for use.

Babs summed it up well

(Yay talisman. Aptly named)

Babs get over hating power tools they are a great asset to easy living.Like a kiln or wheel

Anothet set of brushes Meil. GEP very fast at foreseeing that need!!

Just planning purchasing my own chainsaw Mark.

Just choosing  my tools... dont want partner to feel redundant........

Grind my own shelves but  " dont learn to do what you dont want to have to do for rear of your life"..

A quote from my very wise Mum......

Being impatient and impulsive i hsvent managed to follow this...

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2019 at 10:16 AM, oldlady said:

sold my talisman after using it only a few times.   just like Mea, brushes get clogged up and you lose a lot of time and glaze washing them out.    the crank is a real pain in the arm, it is a huge circle to repeat many times and that gets old very fast.

my hand sieving is done with the blue rubber kemper kidney rib.  cheap and replaced many times over the years.

I've used both the blue rubber rib, and just a semi-stiff paint brush.  For me, they both worked equally as well. 

On 1/17/2019 at 11:29 AM, liambesaw said:

Nice thing about this drill brush is that after you're done sieving, just spin the brush for a second and all the glaze flies off.  Then I just put the brush in a bucket of water and give it a zippity Doo and it's clean!

What if I am all out of Zippity Doos?  Can I substitute it with a Dippity Zoo?

• 1 year later...
On 1/16/2019 at 11:04 AM, liambesaw said:

So like most of us, I feel like the worst part about mixing glaze is the sieving process.  Run all this goop through an impossibly small mesh by hand or buy the 140 dollar talisman rotary sieve.  Well to heck with that I thought, the rotary attachment is just a few brushes on an arm.  So instead of suffer I spent 11 dollars on something that saves so much time it's ridiculous.  

I have some cheapo sieves from the local pottery supply that fit in a bucket and now instead of trying to smear all of that glaze through a sieve by hand, I just grab my drill and toss one of these on.  Sieve an entire 5 gallon bucket in under a minute! 

I got mine on Amazon, but I think you can find them at hardware places too.  

Here's a link if you want.  I just put my drill on slow speed with a 4 inch brush and it's like magic!  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G7XG6BV/

th (4).jpeg

Thank you!!!!!   Can't wait to try this out!

Archived