Re - glazing a fired peice.

I glazed a platter with Amaco Jade Celadon dipping glaze and fired it to ^6. It has a wide rim and I smugged the glaze, now I have a finger mark there. Can I re - glaze the rim with another glaze color, maybe something that will flow and then re - fire again to ^6. Also I would like to  thank everyone for their prompt help with my other questions.

A glaze like a celadon will definitely show variations in thickness, so if you try to touch it up with the same color it'll be a mess. So going with  a different color is a good idea. I would also select something that is more opaque, and in a contrasting color, or darker. Make it pop. Getting another layer of glaze on there thick enough to do the job will be tough. Your best bet is to use a brushing glaze, and warm up the area to be glazed before applying the first coat. Let it dry well before adding other coats. If you're careful, you can use a propane torch to warm it up and dry the glaze layers. If you don't use a glaze made for brushing, the first layer may go on fine, but the next layer will tend to pick up the first layer when brushing since the pot won't be porous and the glaze won't have much to cling to. Brushing glazes have binders and hardeners that will make them stick better.

I’ve had good result with a refire  most of the time.  lots of good suggestions and another trick that will make the fresh glaze stick better is put the piece in the microwave oven for a minute then try and keep fresh fingerprints off. Helps to stop the fresh liquid glaze from crawling on application and the warm ceramic fresh from the microwave helps to get a thicker application of glaze. Another re glaze technique  is chose a second layer that is a lower temperature, allowing the layers to stack instead of flowing together keeping in mind the intended use of the ceramic item. On multiple firing at lower subsequent cones puts less stress on the clay body than firing up to full vitrification repeatedly it going to depend on the desired final outcome. One more thing be patient once the wet glaze is on the pot sometimes forcing it to dry to quickly will make the new un-fired glaze crack and peel as it dries if this starts to happen put the piece in a cool shaded area to dry more slowly.

Warming the piece slightly helps dry the glaze-and yes hair spray will hold it (never used it) just do not touch it. Also two applications is what I usually do as glaze over glaze is super thin and it takes two coats. Another thing is do not put this platter on the top or bottom of kiln to avoid thermo shock.

I've made repairs on pots originally glazed with Amaco's potter's Choice and have been successful to the extent that the repair doesn't show as such but the second firing to ^6 will generally change the color of the glazes in the second firing. Look at the 3rd & 4th photos at the bottom of the main forum page...the 4th is a refire of repaired bowls that were originally the same color as #3. So you might expect similar results in a refire.

JohnnyK

I won' ask Rex I dipped half of bowls in glaze late one night early morning...packed them in and fired...1/2 glazed bowls came out.....I successfully dipped still warm pots in a thicker glaze...had a bucket needing more H20 just serendipity, and left a tiny in glaze strip between the glazed and new glazed ..it worked.

Kiln God got sympathetic with a tired mum

On 12/13/2018 at 10:53 AM, Rex Johnson said:

I recently fired  2 dozen cups to cone 6 and forgot to glaze them...(don't ask).

I took a chance and sprayed them with clear and re-fired. I couldn't believe it,  if they turned out perfect!

IMG_0926-XL.jpg

Just like some do in industry. Go figure! Nice  wares!

Archived